1972 Starcraft Super Sport 16' Conversion to Center Console

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobmeyers

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1972 Starcraft Super Sport 16' Conversion to Center Console

Sorry to keep posting, but I am playing catch up from a productive weekend!!!

Another question. I am starting to think about what to do in the bow. If you can see the riveted ledge half way up the gunwale, that has to stay. Whatever I do will mount to that. I didn't know whether I should go with the existing framework or re-create something. The biggest pain in my rear is the anchor and anchor line. I'd love to make that much easier. Maybe a hinged compartment in the bow that has two big hooks to wrap the anchor line around.

Fairview Park-20121118-00528.jpgRocky River-20121118-00522.jpg

Attachments

• Cleveland-20121118-00513.jpg
    Cleveland-20121118-00513.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 9

jacobmeyers

Petty Officer 2nd Class

. It started Saturday night, 1:30am coming home from a night out in Ohio City, we walked home from Great Lakes Brewery and decided it was time to prime the console. Maybe not in the best shape to start painting, especially on old vintage hardwood floors....whoops.

Local guy here, westlake, also starting a resto but you move pretty fast man. You didnt get into the Xmas ale did you ?

Nice!!! Welcome to Iboats. No Xmas Ale for me, we already had a bottle of wine at dinner and that doesn't mix well. Just stayed with the light beers.

jacobmeyers

Petty Officer 2nd Class

To solve the issue of the plywood, I was going to buy a small piece of aluminum to reinforce the back of the dash where the steering connects.

Local guy again:

If it helps I can probably get you some alum for backing plate. We fab it and it would be 1/8". Let me know if of interest and what size you need.

Could you happen to run across some aluminum tubing???? I want to make a T-Top as well!!

Streetgang

Petty Officer 1st Class

We dont get involved in tubing.

If you find the insurance or salvage guys from all the damaged boats at Edgewater, Whiskey Island, etc. might score something nice.

jacobmeyers

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Video from my boat this summer at the Cleveland Air Show. People told me buying a boat was a waste of money, it was worth every penny for this split second sitting on the water.

jacobmeyers

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This was the one I meant to post.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

Does anyone know of a good floor surface that isn't super expensive? I am not going carpet again, but think painted plywood isn't the answer. I have a dog with nails who will mess up a nice surface, I need something that is tough.

Look at the marine vinyl,....It's tough stuff,..

Word of caution though,. It get slippery fishing in a snowstorm,.........

I was lucky enough to fish as an amateur in the FLW Walleye Tour Championship in Cleveland back in 2007,...Loved the area, And the Lake Erie is one of my favorite places to fish,.......

Your lucky to live there!!!!

jbcurt00

Staff member

This was the one I meant to post....

That was awesome. And worth the cost of admission... And now you've got this fine SC to boot!

The annual fireworks show in Louisville, KY during the Derby festivities @Thunder over Louisville is similar... Being that close to a stealth bomber or fighter and having them come down the river at tree top level is incredible! I have been on the Ohio during that show.

Once & only once. After dark w/ 75ft+ luxury yachts & 12ft jon boats all in the river & all hauling a__ to get up river & out of the water is no fun. No fun whats so ever!

Look at the marine vinyl,....It's tough stuff,..

Word of caution though,. It get slippery fishing in a snowstorm

Silly tiller fanatic, snow is for skiing not fishing ;)
speechless-smiley-008.gif

jacobmeyers

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's been a while since I've posted last, but the boat has come a long way. Sorry for the delay, I was in West Virginia for gun season. Since the last post, I've been able to get the steering all resolved so it's smooth and easy to turn. I've also pulled the throttle cables and ignition wire through the conduit. I'll tell you, pulling apart those control boxes is a pain in the *****!

Here are a few pictures of the controls running through the floor.

Fairview Park-20121123-00541.jpgRocky River-20121123-00539.jpg

jacobmeyers

Petty Officer 2nd Class

In order to get the ignition and choke wiring through the conduit, I had to cut the wire about a foot and a half down from the control box. This was the only way to get it under the floor. I spliced it all back together with connecters, taping it up like a champ.

IMG-20121123-00536.jpgIMG-20121123-00537.jpg

jacobmeyers

Petty Officer 2nd Class

After getting all the controls through the conduit (We had to cut the conduit flush with the floor because the control cables wouldn't make the bed) and splicing the ignition wire, we mounted the controls on the console. I needed to put a block between the control box and console to create space for the throttle handle to move without rubbing the console.

Fairview Park-20121123-00540.jpg

jacobmeyers

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Inside the console, I mounted my fuse box where I previously had all my electronics hooked up.

Rocky River-20121201-00599.jpg

jacobmeyers

Petty Officer 2nd Class

One of the more interesting things we did was take the old windshields from the dual console set up, cut them square, cut them to size, then re-rivet them together to make one center console windshield. This worked out great and also looked great.

Fairview Park-20121201-00591.jpgFairview Park-20121201-00592.jpg

jacobmeyers

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yesterday prior to the Browns game I had a few hours to start pulling wire through the conduit to hook up my lights, bilge, and run the main power line to the fuse box from the battery so I can start wiring my switches. I had to run the trim / tilt through the same conduit as well. While doing all this, I re-assembled my hydraulic lines and wiring to my trim / tilt pump and hooked it up to make sure it worked. Everything worked out great.

Fairview Park-20121202-00613.jpgFairview Park-20121202-00614.jpgRocky River-20121201-00596.jpgRocky River-20121201-00597.jpg

jacobmeyers

Petty Officer 2nd Class

One thing I had to do was cut my postive and negative battery cables to the outboard because the rubber was dry rotted leaving exposed wire. I drove all season with it this way and it freaked me out because it sat next to the gas tank. I went to Lowes and got some #4 wire and re-connected them, taping them up as far as I could.

Fairview Park-20121202-00612.jpgFairview Park-20121202-00613.jpg

jacobmeyers

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here is a quick shot of what the boat looks like today, with the windsheild.

Fairview Park-20121201-00595.jpgRocky River-20121201-00589.jpg

jacobmeyers

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Fitting my fish finder on the console. There was just enough room.

Fairview Park-20121202-00616.jpg

jacobmeyers

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here is a shot from inside the boat standing behind the console with the windshield.

Rocky River-20121201-00594.jpg

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Nice work.

I wish I had found this thread sooner, as I could have given you some advice, but you seemed to do pretty well without it.

Nautolex vinyl flooring is what you want. It is very similar to what these boats came with from the factory.
I have put this in several boats, and it is good stuff. Gonna cost you about $180 for your boat, plus a $12 bucket of floor adhesive from Home Depot.

It is easy to work with, just like putting down vinyl in the laundry room or bathroom.

Marine Vinyl Flooring | Nautolex - Gary's Upholstery Supplies

marfloorblue.jpg

marfloorsand.jpg

Where the original steering cable is 14' (I think), you would need a 20' cable to route it straight up the center of the boat. Been there.

And yes, steering cables and control cables need lots of room to make the bends, been there too.

I have a similar boat, 18' Starcraft Mariner center console. A couple inches wider, and deeper than yours.
I run a 115 Merc with a 9.9 kicker, and a 24 volt transom mount electric for when I need to be quiet.

I placed the 2 trolling motor batteries under my console, along with the onboard charger.
I have one battery, 2 - 6 gallon tanks, and a 3 gallon tank under the splash well.

I love the bow rail, but it sure makes retrieving an anchor a pain. I've considered removing it, but it adds so much character to the boat. I run the anchor rope thru the chock up front, then along the side and tie off to cleat about 5' from the bow. This way, once I free it from the chock, I can stand along port side and retrieve the anchor easier than trying to pull it over the rail up front in the bow.

I still have the original center console, but she has seen better days.
Going to replace it this winter.
A little taller, a little narrower.
Offset the steering wheel to give more open space for all my gauges and switches, chart plotter and sonar..
I did splurge and put in all new wiring, control cables, steering cable, and top mounted controls.

How are you attaching the windshield ?

Keep up the good work.

Attachments

• marfloorgray.jpg
    marfloorgray.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 0
  • marfloorsand.jpg
    marfloorsand.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 0

jacobmeyers

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nice work.

I wish I had found this thread sooner, as I could have given you some advice, but you seemed to do pretty well without it.

Nautolex vinyl flooring is what you want. It is very similar to what these boats came with from the factory.
I have put this in several boats, and it is good stuff. Gonna cost you about $180 for your boat, plus a $12 bucket of floor adhesive from Home Depot.

It is easy to work with, just like putting down vinyl in the laundry room or bathroom.

Marine Vinyl Flooring | Nautolex - Gary's Upholstery Supplies

marfloorblue.jpg

marfloorsand.jpg

Where the original steering cable is 14' (I think), you would need a 20' cable to route it straight up the center of the boat. Been there.

And yes, steering cables and control cables need lots of room to make the bends, been there too.

I have a similar boat, 18' Starcraft Mariner center console. A couple inches wider, and deeper than yours.
I run a 115 Merc with a 9.9 kicker, and a 24 volt transom mount electric for when I need to be quiet.

I placed the 2 trolling motor batteries under my console, along with the onboard charger.
I have one battery, 2 - 6 gallon tanks, and a 3 gallon tank under the splash well.

I love the bow rail, but it sure makes retrieving an anchor a pain. I've considered removing it, but it adds so much character to the boat. I run the anchor rope thru the chock up front, then along the side and tie off to cleat about 5' from the bow. This way, once I free it from the chock, I can stand along port side and retrieve the anchor easier than trying to pull it over the rail up front in the bow.

I still have the original center console, but she has seen better days.
Going to replace it this winter.
A little taller, a little narrower.
Offset the steering wheel to give more open space for all my gauges and switches, chart plotter and sonar..
I did splurge and put in all new wiring, control cables, steering cable, and top mounted controls.

How are you attaching the windshield ?

Keep up the good work.

Thanks for posting!! I haven't even primed the floor yet, it's sealed on the bottom side with some type of liquid varnish and all fastened down.

I ran the same cables and steering, I managed to make it work and was able to reduce the angles on the steering by angling the gear box down and drilling new holes in the wheel bracket. I am still contemplating a new set of control cables, the cables get tight on a full left turn, but they work. Do you know what length cables I have on a 16' boat?? It was just such a pain in the *** getting those cables through the conduit, it would be a huge undertaking to remove everything I've already run.

I was going to use playmats for the floor, that way I could pull them up if wet or ruined and just replace the square.

Keep watching, i'll have TONS of questions!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.