Rust-Oleum and Magic hardener question

Jonboat2Bassboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Have heard that several people have had good luck using the hardener for Valspar Implement paint from Tractor Supply with Rust-Oleum oil based top paint. My local TSC no longer carries Valspar, they carry Magic paint instead. Anyone use the Magic hardener with Rust-Oleum?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Rust-Oleum and Magic hardener question

Have heard that several people have had good luck using the hardener for Valspar Implement paint from Tractor Supply with Rust-Oleum oil based top paint. My local TSC no longer carries Valspar, they carry Magic paint instead. Anyone use the Magic hardener with Rust-Oleum?

Ayuh,.... Same stuff, go for it...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Check the last link in my signature below for some helpful info on applying the paint.

Jonboat2Bassboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey Woodonglass, you did an awesome job on the "Flamingo". Looked at all the photos. Most guys would have passed on restoring that boat but the finished product makes it more remarkable when you see what you had to work with. Great Job!
One question: What did you do with the Flamingo? I looked to see if it was on the boat but didn't see any photos. Great job on the bird too.

I am spraying the Rust-Oleum. Sprayed the boat without hardener and thinking maybe I should have. Forgot to paint the bracket the forward / reverse control lever is mounted on. Will get the Majic hardener, spray and see what happens.

One question is Majic is an oil based acrylic paint and Rust-Oleum oil based paint is not acrylic. You see any problems mixing the two?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

How long has the rustoleum been on. How many coats. Is this a glass or a tin boat?

Jonboat2Bassboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The boat is aluminium, properly cleaned, etched, primed with aluminium marine primer and spray painted with 2 coats of Rust-Oleum oil based paint without hardener. The paint is adhered well, it does not come off in strips, indicating poor adhesion, but it does chip easily. Most of the chips came when working on the boat the day after it was painted. Now that 2 weeks have gone by the paint seems much more durable.

I am NOT re-painting the boat right now, just painting the speed control bracket I forgot to paint. It too is etched and primed with aluminium marine primer. After the bracket is painted plan to launch the boat, see how the hardened paint holds up on the bracket and how the un-hardened paint on the rest of the boat holds up. At that point may re-paint the entire boat if it looks like the effort is worth it.

I assume since the paint adheres well to the boat, all that is needed is to sand with 400 grit paper and re-paint with hardened Rust-Oleum.

My question is since Majic is an acrylic paint and Rust-Oleum is not, do you see any problem using the Magic paint hardened with the Rust-Oleum?

Jonboat2Bassboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just saw this post from Yacht Doctor from 2011. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=519520

Thanks for posting this. Wish I had found it BEFORE painting my boat with Rustoleum.

Mistakes made:

Had to thin with 25% mineral spirits just to get it to spray. Did not know about Acetone for low temps and Xylene for high temps. Exactly what temperature ranges are considered "low" and "high?

Re-coated as soon as first coat was applied. Paint was tacky and thought it was OK. Obviously, did not sand between coats.

What is AE hardener? Valspar hardener has been used successfully with Rust-Oleum by several people. It is not available in my area but Majic hardener is so posted question about using Majic hardener.

Any thoughts?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

YD and I have talked in Length about Rustoleum and Valspar. Rustoleum is an Alkyd based paint. Very similar characteristics to Acrylic Enamel. AE hardener is Acrylic Enamel Hardener. I have used AE hardener with Rustoleum lots of times as have others with NO issues. The techs @ Rustoleum will not recommend it but that does not mean it will not work. As long as the Rustoleum is fully cured (With summer time temps about a month) I think you could sand, and prime with the Majic Primer and shoot over it with the Majic Paint with Hardener with no issues. Just my opinion but it is based on experience from my use.