Lund floor replacement

Schaffdaddy

Recruit
Hi guys I am a newby here. Your work is inspiring and I have a new project boat. Sorry but it's a Lund. Hope you will still like me though. I need to replace the floor. Was thinkng about using marine plywood and epoxy and glass it. Pretty standard. However to finish it I was thinking about ventilated floor tiles. The vinyl ones that interlock. The thought is water will dry and I can remove it to clean and or coat the floor as necessesary. I would appreciate your thoughts on plusses and minuses. Also again Thanks for sharing your restoration it is an invaluable amount of info

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Lund floor replacement

Welcome aboard Schaffdaddy!! I started this thread for you in our general Restoration section. Good luck!!!

backlashed

Seaman

No need to waste your money on expensive marine plywood. Exterior grade is actually more moisture resistant. Marine grade is basically just guaranteed to be free from voids, and primarily used in boat construction.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

MDO plywood is your best bet, and is about 1/2 the price of marine grade. It's used for making outdoor signs and in concrete form construction as well as boat building.

No need for the fiberglass if you use epoxy resin, and epoxy resin doesn't have the volatile fumes that polyester resin has. You can use epoxy resin indoors and don't have to worry about wearing a respirator or creating a fire hazard.

Lunds are great boats and very well made... but their baseball caps can be embarassing to wear:
loser.jpg

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

No need to apologize for the Lund ;) They are nice boats (and advertised as the best) and we know that they need restorations too.

Everything in an aluminum boat is straight forward. Read through this and look at the Starcraft index http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=288451

thiker15

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you want your floor to last a long time use marine ply 3/4' and epoxy all surfaces,than cover it with either marine carpet or vinyl flooring your choice, look at my lund restoration thread, lunds are by far the best built aluminum boat on the market. If you need any help or advice let me know , i built my lund prov from the ground up , just don't cut corners do it the right way, you'll be better off and headache free in the long run

Schaffdaddy

Recruit

thiker thanks . The boat is floating in my canal so thats good. No leaks. Cleaning it out and in the bow I found a mouse with many babies. They went below before I could get a glove. Gonna be some surprises when I get the floor up. Been trying to get the main motor running this past week. No luck yet. Got the kicker to fire up. was hoping for a small miracle and get out in it yet this year. Not likely so I should just start tearing it up. One thing surprising is this boat has a lot of wiring in it. A bit daunting right now but I will suck it up..

Floor is very spongy but front bow deck and transom are extremely solid.

64osby

Admiral

Haven't seen many Lund's here but look forward to watching your work.

Try to see if you can post bigger pics, 640 x 480 is the preferred size. I can't see what you're trying to show.

You don't need the Marine Grade Ply if you use an epoxy coat. Saves some $$$

There are many Tinny's here that will help if you need it, just ask, some will chime in even if you don't.

Welcome to the site.

emoney

Commander

If you don't have one yet, a Photobucket account is absolutely free. You can't store pictures and videos and it's the absolute easiest way to post up pics in threads. Just add .com to the name and away you go. (those are a tad small, tough on us "old" guys who refuse to admit we're getting older and need glasses. Not that that's me, of course, but for some folks around here......)

thiker15

Petty Officer 2nd Class

try fogging the engine, let sit for several days then try starting it up. but watch to make sure the water pump is working. and yes its better to use marine ply thats what the factory uses ,in the end you'll have a better product.

Buckeyedude

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know several guys with lunds and they all love them, even though many have had to do some serious work to them. Lund isnt real concerned with protecting thier wood before installation (lol). $30,000 dollar boat that im sure almost any buyer wouldnt mind chipping in a few more hundred for them to seal up the wood. If your floor is bad, you might wanna scope out that transom too. I know lund has a transom warranty, not sure for how long and what owner you are of this boat. Problem is you wont have your boat for quite awhile, and i doubt the will do it right the second either! Set up a photobucket account and keep the pics coming!