1984 Silverton 34C Remodel/Update/Upgrade PIC HEAVY

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander
Back in December a 1984 Silverton 34C was purchased. The 29' Cruisers was and still is a great boat, but we needed more room inside, due to the women wanting to go below decks after the sun sets. With the intention of not actually buying another boat until the Cruisers sold, I still couldn't help "shopping".

Of course, in the shopping we found this boat. The price had been dropping and it fit the criteria just right. We put in a reletively low offer, barring a survey. The owner accepted and although the survey reveiled a few maintenance items that will need to be addressed, the boat was sound, and would be a great platform.

Here she sits in the marina parking lot;
IMG_5879.jpg

I will update the mechanical portion of the project as things go. So far the generator has been removed to track down a lack of fuel issue, as well as to service it and clean it up at the house. The engine work has begun. Impellers are purchased and will be in this weekend. Exhaust on the port motor needs a bit of fixing, but otherwise both motors have a lot of life left.

The interior actually looked nice when the boat was first inspected. After taking ownership, I relized it wont do. It had seen some updates that will remain, but the finishes and fluff will be replaced.

The interior. These photos were taken during our work. It had been cleaned up a bit though.
IMG_7815.jpg

IMG_7821.jpg

IMG_7811.jpg

The first real project, that is at the halfway point is the head. The old traveler style toilet/tank came out. A new holding tank is being fabbed as we speak, and will make its way below the cabin sole. Along with a new electric head, sanitation hoses, and fittings. A fresh water tank will provide the water to the head, and it will be double vented. This set up should be smell free and work well for a long time to come.

With the head ripped apart, it came time to prep the areas around the new pieces and parts.

The first part was the bilge. Continued...

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1984 Silverton 34C Remodel/Update/Upgrade PIC HEAVY

Bilge Before; A dirty, unkept mess. Rusted hardware, standing water, dirt, grime. You name it and it was down there. I see far too many boats on the market with bilges like this. I spent a lot of time scrubbing my Cruisers bilge, and after doing the same here, realized it was not going to clean up to my standard.
IMG_7429.jpg

IMG_7520.jpg

IMG_7526.jpg

IMG_7531.jpg

IMG_7534.jpg

Continued...

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

Then more and more scrubbing.
IMG_7549.jpg

IMG_7551.jpg

Finally a prep and coat of Bilgekote. It needs 2 coats, the rest of this area needs to be completed, but I wanted one section done, so as soon as the holding tank is fabricated, it can be installed.
IMG_7553.jpg

IMG_7564.jpg

Here is where it sits. As of now the toilet has been purchased and is waiting to go in. The holding tank is being fabbed, and the rest of the items can be purchased once everything is ready to mount. Within this bilge it will receive a new bilge pump, shower sump and the wiring and hoses will be cleaned up and routed nice and neat.

With the head project taking shape, it was decided that I am going to do this room one time. I removed all of the head wood trim/doors and wallpaper. The trim and doors were brought home to be prepped and redone.

Continued...

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

The head vanity doors and door frames were done first. The doors were solid style and rail, with a plastic laminate center over ply. I purchased a teak veneer to replace the laminate with.

Here we see the doors as they sat in the head. Sorry for the sideways photo...
IreneBoats002.jpg

Here we see the door coming apart, the laminate and the final assembly.
IMG_7630.jpg

IMG_7631.jpg

IMG_7638.jpg

The doors were then treated to 10 or so coats of Epifanes woodfinish gloss.
IMG_7843.jpg

IMG_7768.jpg

Continued...

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

Along with these doors, the trim found around the head was sanded and treated to many coats of Epifanes. Once all set, it has been temporarily placed until the wall coverings can be installed.

IMG_7783.jpg

IMG_7781.jpg

Here we have the test fitting.
Head05.jpg

Head04.jpg

Head03.jpg

IMG_7916.jpg

Continued...

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

Also located within the head are these small pieces of wallpaper-wrapped wood that fill from the edge of the bulkhead to the hull side. I had some mahogany veneer from the other boat and decided this would look a lot better than the fabric.

Here we have the pieces stripped of wallpaper.
IMG_7693.jpg

The mahogany is then rough cut to the shape and size.
IMG_7694.jpg

Adhesive is applied and left to set for a day or two.
IMG_7698.jpg

Then the finished piece is trimmed and ready for coating.
IMG_7712.jpg

Here we see it coated in Epifanes.
dab58c66.jpg

Pardon the poor photo, but here is one mocked up. Hard to see, but it is as shiny as the other wood shown.
805d0291.jpg

Continued...

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

With the wing pieces ready, a trim needed to be put on for the raw plywood edge. A mahogany door was purchased and cut down to make the trim. A quick shape and it is ready to be cut and put it place when the time comes.

7e2726e7.jpg

2bf8d6b3.jpg

These pieces have since been coated in Epifanes.

As this work has been going on, the head door was pulled apart in an effort to coat and redo the laminate sections.

IMG_7746.jpg

IMG_7756.jpg

No more progress to show on the door. It is sitting in final sanding stage, awaiting me to creat the mahogany center panels, and finalize the Epifanes.

Continued...

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

To keep up the work, another item that required modifying and updating was the steps. Here we see them as they were purchased.

IMG_7566.jpg

They were disassembled and the bottom step was notched to move it further out. Then the carpet removed and the existing wood was sanded and flooded with Epifanes.

Steps01.jpg

Steps02.jpg

Continued...

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

A useless hour during the day gave me time to polish the toilet tissue holder...

eeca388e.jpg

f4e02b83.jpg

Attention has also been directed towards the outside of the boat. Too cold and too confined between other boats to scrub and polish, some items came home for work.

The flybridge seats were in terrible shape. At first glance they looked gone and useless. On second look, the wood was rotted away and the vinyl covered in mold, but not ripped or torn. The seats were rebuilt and look dirty but workable. They were then scuffed, prepped and dyed bright white.

This is actually after a good cleaning with harsh chemicals. They were BAD.
IMG_7621.jpg

Here we have the finished seat, before the aluminum gets a polish. The arm rests were purchased from a derilect boat.
352e2ac4.jpg

3d51c4f5.jpg

The side seats were done as well.
IMG_7871.jpg

Continued...

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

Another project that I did on the Cruisers, needed to be done on this boat. The cockpit and flybridge teak was rough and needed help. I used Cetol on the Cruisers and it looked great. With this boat I went another route. I purchased some Smith's CPES and added 3 coats to the sanded and prepped wood. Then it was given 10-12 coats of Epifanes. I went for a mirror smooth finish. The pieces are far from perfect, but do look nice.

As they were removed.
Trim001.jpg

Then stripped, scrubbed and sanded.
Trim010.jpg

Coats of CPES.
Trim013.jpg

Followed by too many coats of varnish with sanding between.
IMG_7726.jpg

And mocked up for fun...
be2fbf69.jpg

2593932e.jpg

Continued...

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

Another project that started last night, was the wood grate located on the head floor. It keeps you above the floor drain. I sanded this and decided I would try a new technique. I applied a coat of Polyurethane. I will fill the grain with a gloss poly, and then finish it with one coat of Epifanes. It saves the $35-40+ dollar container of Epifanes, and should actually work well inside the cabin.

Sanding started.
1df8a5fa.jpg

Coat one of Poly.
15cae1fa.jpg

Another view.
b5650ae5.jpg

My reason for the poly is due to it penetrating better, flowing better, leveling better, easier to buy, cheaper and can be applied every 3 hours verse every 24. I will see how this piece finished before I tackle anymore with this technique.

Luhrs28

Chief Petty Officer

Nice boat, and great job on all the woodwork. What's it got for engines? Is it I/O, V-drives?

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

Twin straight drive Crusader 350s.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Beautiful work, really nice boat. I bet you got a heck of a deal on it ;)

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Very nice, glad the survey went well and nothing major found. Good looking boat, you'll have shinning like new in no time.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

Survey had a few issues to contend with, but the hull and structure was in fair shape and the surveyor indicated it's current value was near double the offer. Current value in it's existing condition. The lowest price one of these boats sold for on the brokerage market, was more than double what was paid. Knowing that, makes the money a bit easier to spend on bringing the boat into the shape I want.

To date, most of the work has been done well below cost. There is a lot more labor and deals than buying out of a catelogue. Some items will be bought new and full price, but if a deal can be done, it will be.

Now if only the 29'er would sell. :D

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

Tonights work...

Dinette table had a laminate over it from the PO. I took that off and found the original teak look laminate. I decided it was good enough to keep. I got some bar top coating from a friend and after a few hours of getting the old glue off, it was ready to go.

Before the coating, but after the cleaning.
cf9899f3.jpg

After the coating. It is setting up well. Should be a good improvement and match the glossy wood look I am shooting for.
595d9254.jpg

8585524d.jpg

a66b4808.jpg

Photos are from the new phone. An excellent gift, now I can take pictures whenever wherever and they cme out nice.

Rollinunknown

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow the wood looks very nice . Keep up the good work.

Last edited by a moderator:

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

Dinette table should be done as of tonight:

Taped:
93a8b943.jpg

Epifanes applied:
63610811.jpg

b5bc9cc7.jpg

c69ca659.jpg

593c1c95.jpg

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

This piece filles the space from the bulkhead to the hull sides within the forward stateroom. It was cut from a mahogany closet door out of a late 1960s Pembroke.

Polyurethaned:
d2caf5d8.jpg

ff5b4092.jpg

Then coated with Epifanes:
46fd4aaf.jpg