'78 Ebko Lebaron - Therapy

'78 Ebko Lebaron - Therapy

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Trooper82

Commander
I want to start out with what an amazing group of folks we have on this site. So many that are eager to help others out...amazing! I have been combing through the threads and there is more information available here than I will ever be able to use. I will try to use as much as I need though!

Let's start out with a bit of history on the boat. Got the boat in Ohio. Had it trucked to Louisiana.

Boat arrived late on Saturday (nov 19th). Next day I went out and started checking things out. Motor fired right up, sounds good at an idle, but had a vibration or growl when I hit the throttle. I fgured this was due to no load. This is my first I/O so not sure what to expect. As I was inspecting I noticed a few soft spots on the deck. That led me to this forum. After reading many posts I decided a full deck replacement was in order, so I started gutting. I will post more later on what I have found. I am keeping a journal of everything I do to fix her up. I have plenty of pics too. I can see what the boat can become, I think she has real potential. I am going to nurse her back into shape, with help from the iBoats community.

I really am excited to get to work on the boat. I just wish I had more than blue sky overhead. Doing a little work, putting cover back on is tiresome. I love working with my hands so I do not forsee too much of an issue with replacing the deck. Seats and side pockets need replaced too, they were all rotten. Today I got the carpet pulled up and found a few things that worry me, but more on that in next post....

In Ohio:
IMG_20111008_110039.jpg

PO:
IMG_20111008_110244.jpg

New 350? I was skeptical when I learned that an 898 is only 305cu in:

Update: Spoke to PO today, needed a bill of sale for the trailer. He explained that the vavle covers were reused when the motor was replaced with the 350.

IMG_20111008_110338.jpg

Top Down:
IMG_20111008_110543.jpg

Me with her the first day In Lousiana:
DSC00536.jpg

Last edited:

Luhrs28

Chief Petty Officer
Re: '78 Ebko Lebaron - Therapy

I like that boat! Nice high transom and gunwales = safe. And there's nothing wrong with the 305. It's just a 350 with 1/4" smaller bore cylinders.

That should be a fun project and a nice boat when it's done.

Trooper82

Commander

Thanks Luhrs28. This will be a family boat so safety is a definite concern. Tomorrow i plan on cutting the deck out. Before i do i would like to know if there is any concern with leaving the boat on the trailer while doing the repairs. It could be a few months before i a able to have the materials on hand to do the repairs. Can i go ahead and start the tearout or should i wait till i have the parts to replace

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You won't know what you need till you tear it appart.

Good looking boat!!!!!

BWT

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dive in :) It's not going to make any difference. If you have any doubt or concerns take a small bottle jack and place it on the keel a foot or so forward of the transom and lift it enough to ease the weight from the outside bunks. Set up some wood blocking under this area and set it back down on the blocks. You don't necessarily want to have it lifted from the bunks, just easing some of the pressure. Do the same thing just forward of midship and you'll be good to go. Again, the boat should still be resting on the bunks, the blocks are just taking some of the load.

Look forward to the next round of pics!

~BWT

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Welcome Trooper82,

Just hopped on board to look, learn, and cheer...

Great looking boat, its gonna be real nice after you get done.

As far as additional support, my .02 worth...you really only need to worry about more support if you get into a complete re-string, re-transom job as by that point the hull will be really flexible and could get distorted when trying to put it back together.

Otherwise, you should be A-OK with the previous suggestions by BWT.

Best of Luck and have FUN!
GT1M

Trooper82

Commander

Thank you all for the welcome. The way I am posting pictures is ok? I have seen it done this way and with the small thumbnails, which I couldn't figure out how it is done.

Here are a few more pictures, seeing that the weather is not cooperating with my efforts today. Open to any and all suggestions from the community.

Few questions before i get too far along.

1. Would it be best to remove the Merc and outboard before I rip the deck out?
2. Do I need to worry about metal while sawing out the deck? I saw some pictures in this thread that looks like has a metal support frame under the deck.
3. Safety while sawing fiberglass/resin - do a need a suit/respirator/goggles? Will the cheapo facemask filters work? I plan on getting a full on face respirator when the time comes to start sanding/grinding, just want to know if it is recoommended for the stage in the game I am at now.

Anyone know if these PO installed rails are necessary? I think they can come off, the wife says they need to stay.

DSC00580.jpg

If you look closely you can see a fresh pine board laying under the carpet. This was put in to disguise what lay underneath.

DSC00558.jpg

And here is what was being hidden. Not wood = not good! Looks more like compost doesn't it?

DSC00581.jpg

Is this a previous repair over the gas tank area?

DSC00582.jpg

Bow eye is pulling out. This will need repaired.

DSC00546.jpg

Bow eye from inside. No backing plate was used. I saw a thread in here somewhere on how to repair the bow eye properly, will need to find that again and save it for future reference.

DSC00545.jpg

Till next time!

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Thank you all for the welcome. The way I am posting pictures is ok? I have seen it done this way and with the small thumbnails, which I couldn't figure out how it is done.

Here are a few more pictures, seeing that the weather is not cooperating with my efforts today. Open to any and all suggestions from the community.

Few questions before i get too far along.

1. Would it be best to remove the Merc and outboard before I rip the deck out?
Whatever is most convienient for you, but it will probably be best to wait for the real pros answer...
2. Do I need to worry about metal while sawing out the deck? I saw some pictures in this thread that looks like has a metal support frame under the deck.There shouldn't be, but that is not to say there isn't, if you are using a skilsaw, set it to approximately 1/2" cutting depth, to remove most of the deck, go slow and look for sparks...
3. Safety while sawing fiberglass/resin - do a need a suit/respirator/goggles? Will the cheapo facemask filters work? I plan on getting a full on face respirator when the time comes to start sanding/grinding, just want to know if it is recoommended for the stage in the game I am at now.I would definitely use a respirator and some goggles, along with a good covering of all exposed skin, at the very least, fiberglass, eyeballs, lungs, and skin don't mix...if you don't take the proper precautions, you may not be around to enjoy the boat.
When it comes to this, Better Safe Than Sorry, is not just a saying...it is the rule to follow...
Also, before you begin cutting and clawing your way through this, take lots of pics and reference measurements.
Strip off as much as you can, save the salvageable stuff, label, keep anything that you might later discard as a reference, in case you need or want to replace it, etc, etc...

Anyone know if these PO installed rails are necessary? I think they can come off, the wife says they need to stay.
They are helpful when loading the boat back on the trailer. I would keep them.

DSC00580.jpg

If you look closely you can see a fresh pine board laying under the carpet. This was put in to disguise what lay underneath.
Yes.

DSC00558.jpg

And here is what was being hidden. Not wood = not good! Looks more like compost doesn't it?
Yes it does...

DSC00581.jpg

Is this a previous repair over the gas tank area?
To my inexperienced eye, Yes it does.

DSC00582.jpg

Bow eye is pulling out. This will need repaired.
Yes!

DSC00546.jpg

Bow eye from inside. No backing plate was used. I saw a thread in here somewhere on how to repair the bow eye properly, will need to find that again and save it for future reference.
You will definitely be repairing this along with everything else that you will find...

DSC00545.jpg

Till next time!

Look for my answers above...You are probably in for the complete resto...IMHO...I have been wrong before, though, and probably will be many more times
The Iboats community of knowledge and support is here for you.
The pictures are working fine.
Keep poking and prodding and asking lots of questions and posting lots of pics.
Hope this helps.
Have Fun and Best of Luck,
GT1M

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

Welcome to Iboats. You are the lucky one who took on this project and found iboats.com right away. You are in for a treat and a treasure, people on here are smart and always willing to help and give thier 2 cents! i started my project before i found out about the iboats dry dock! welcome and good luck . look forward to seeing your project begin

Trooper82

Commander

I got the motor and outboard ready for a winter nap this evening. This week I will work on getting everything measured and plotted on paper. Then next weekend the fun begins!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

As mentioned, that's a real nice DEEP hull. I bet it rides great. I'd say she's well worth the effort to refit. Good luck with your project.

Trooper82

Commander

Thanks ez ... I am looking forward to taking her out. Will posting this evenings work shortly.

Trooper82

Commander

Greetings fellow boaters! (Or is it repairers?)

I only had just under 2 hrs tonight for work on the boat before dark hit. I think I did pretty good with the little amount of time I had. Sure would be nice to have a garage....

So I took a few measurments - Ski locker and the hole, which I think is for an umbrella? Was sitting there looking at the tabs holding the wood over the gas tank, thinking I could pull that up.

Originally I thought this was a repair to the dech. But while I was sitting there thinking.....it sure looks like this was done after replacing/repairing the tank.

First corner I got off exposed some rotting wood.

DSC00583.jpg

In no time I had the plywood off. I'd say my suspicions are confirmed. This was done when the tank was replaced/repaired.

DSC00584.jpg

This dark spot doesn't look so good....

DSC00585.jpg

Yup! Stringer is a goner....

DSC00586.jpg

I was surpised to see that it was still saoking wet - like a wet sponge.

DSC00587.jpg

More in next post....

Trooper82

Commander

Removing the 2PF - oh what fun!

DSC00588.jpg

It is starting to pile up quick! Looks likeyou get the 30 to 1 ratio when tearing it out too.

DSC00589.jpg

Here is the last shot at dark, I couldn't see to work anymore. For the amount of time I think I did alright, what you all think?

DSC00592.jpg

Here is the tool I used - worked out very nice. A hand made chisel. I picked this up at a widow's garage sale about 6 years ago. Her husband had made it in the 50's she told me. I actually bought 2 of them from her. She had 50 cents each on them. I gave her quite abit more, they were very well made and I don't think she knew what she had.

DSC00590.jpg

More to come...stay tuned...

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

Looking good... I'll be following this one. I really like the hull... I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with her. Have you done glasswork before?
And I'm assuming you're pulling the cap?

Trooper82

Commander

Have you done glasswork before?
And I'm assuming you're pulling the cap?

Err....Not so much with actual materials. I have done it a thousand times in my mind and dreams since I started this project...a little over a week ago...

But that is why I am on this forum. Will be looking to the pros for help quite often no doubt.

I didn't realize this boat had a cap. But I guess it does now that I look at it closer. I'm not so sure I will be taking the cap off. Is there a benefit in doing that? I suppose when I get to the transom I may end up needing to though.

Trooper82

Commander

Thank you 74bayliner, I do look forward to going the project. And I am glad I found this place. I have read through quite a few of the projects. Some amazing stuff done by folks in here. I hope I can learn and get things done right by folowing everyone's advice in here.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Hey T82,

Great start on rippin out some foam, but the bad news is, if you are seeing some rot here and there...it usually means the deeper you go, the more mulch you are bound to find, we all hope not, but hope and reality don't always go hand in hand...especially when it comes to these 'ol boats of ours...:redface:

Anyhow, if you find after taking some core samples from the transom and stringers, that you need to replace them, removing the cap is the best way to go from what I have gathered.

It just makes the entire process a little less frustrating.

It makes the job of removing and replacing stringers and transom a bit easier, if there could be such a thing...:facepalm:...
by giving you full and unobstructed access to the entire inside of the hull.

Although many have done this job without removing the cap.

Regards,
GT1M

Trooper82

Commander

GT1M - I am trying to stay skeptical on the transom. Should know this weekend, as long as we don't have any rain. From what I found tonight, I will be pulling the motor. Not sure how I am going to do that yet. Neighbor has a tractor with a front loader, maybe he will come yank it out for me. I heard someone on the forum say they rented a cherry picker, don't think that will work in my situation.

As for the core samples on the stringers....All I found were these long hollow fiberglass tubes on the bottom of the boat. Dark brown mush stuff in the bottom of them..lol