1959 Harvey Deck Rebuild...very odd...

ledzeppelin135

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, as some of you may remember the keel on my harvey had cracked and I ended up patching it just on the outside to go fishing one more time. Well I noticed after I got home that water managed to get under the deck and it seemed very squishy. Well anyways long story short I decided to lift the deck up to patch it from the inside also. To my surprise all that comprised the boat was the fiberglass hull, what looked to be 1/4" plywood and finally the PO put some plastic textured wall covering on top of that so he did not have to fully fiberglass the deck I am assuming? Well anyways It caught me by surprise that there are no stringers and that you can totally see the keel indent in the hull and the shape of the hull without any stringers or anything. So what I am trying to figure out is what the best way of replacing this deck would be. I can see that the old fiberglass mat has lost some of its resin in the keel area and has started separating which probably has caused the keel to crack in that one spot. But should I do as far as strengthening that fiberglass? Should I just reinforce the keel area with more csm and maybe a layer or two of csm underneath the deck before putting down new plywood? And furthermore I am assuming it is not common practice to use plastic wall covering to make the top of a deck so what type of plywood should I use as I have not been able to find a common answer and then should I wrap the whole plywood with fiberglass and then fiberglass the 5" deck overlap on either side to this? I am then planning on putting some rubberized coating on top of the deck after to add some extra strength and flexability as well as waterproofing. I will have pictures to show you exactly what I am talking about, but I have not ever seen anything like this. Thanks for the help guys...

0918111501d.jpg

0918111501c.jpg

0918111501b.jpg

0918111501a.jpg

0918111501.jpg

ledzeppelin135

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1959 Harvey Deck Rebuild...very odd...

Anyone? I am just waiting to find out what fiberglass materials I will need to purchase to have ready for friday

oops!

Supreme Mariner

the pics arent very clear with the shadows.

you can just re glass it....you will need to grind off the carp the po painted on.....you need to bond glass against glass.....if you bont to the rubber gook....the bond will most likely fail..

you will need to grind out around the hole and see how bad that really is....then fill with peanut butter and glass it over.

as far as the deck.....glass both sides of the wood....then install and paint or rug it as you wish.

ledzeppelin135

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you for that! what type of wood would you recommend, something on the cheaper side and how much resin should I get to finish this job?

ledzeppelin135

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Also what kind of fiberglass should I use for this?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

i use standard exterior grade ply.....

5 gals of poly resin.....and and 100 feet of 1.5 csm (if your boat is deck is less than 60 ins wide.....cut that in half)