EPS Foam - Expanded Polystyrene and Deck question. and latex paint. / deck paint

Does anyone have any advice on putting this in the bottom of my boat for floatation instead of the pourable 2 part foam. Or even some type of styrofoam , and thinking about coating over the top of it to seal it somehow..( just an idea.) For some reason, companies want to charge an arm and half a leg for pourable foam, and i dont want the mess or hastle.

My second question may be retarded but being this is mine and my buddy's first boat and the guy before us was a crackhead and stopped his resto. 1/4 the way through. When putting in my plywood deck , i will be attaching it to the side of the hull with PB -peanut butter first then cloth over that but when securing the deck to the stringers, do i have to do this? Will it create a problem if i dont?

I bought the boat for $ 500 bucks so trying to get her running for under $1500 . lol Idk about that anymore. haha.

And lastly... for the plywood deck itself . I wanted to do a latex 100% acrylic exterior paint for patio decks and such, my thing is my buddy thinks we can just paint it on ... yes it will coat it but wont really seap into the wood .. I wanted to either put thompsons waterseal on first or just do a coat of resin before paint.

My thought was to do a nice resin seal , then the Glidden Primer Coat, Then Glidden grey latex paint on the top . maybe 3 coats. I've done test strips and that seams to be the best so far. And it shoulld be easy to repair.

Im not trying to make a master piece , i just want to get on the water and fish. lol .

Re: EPS Foam - Expanded Polystyrene and Deck question. and latex paint. / deck paint

Appreciate everyones advise.. lol NOT!

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: EPS Foam - Expanded Polystyrene and Deck question. and latex paint. / deck paint

I screwed my deck to the stringers and then glassed over the whole deck. There are many different opinioins on what to cover your deck with. I used rustoleum enamel with "texture" additive and i'm happy with the results. I've heard of folks using porch paint like you've suggested just haven't done it myself.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I screwed the deck down first to stringers with SS screws, then made all my fillets with PB. Tabbed all around with two overlapping layers of 1708. Then glassed the whole thing over with csm/cloth/csm/cloth. Then sanded smooth, primered and painted.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

As long as the poured foam in your boat is not structural, you can replace it with sheet foam (or even pool noodles). Stick with the pink or blue sheet foam as it will not absorb water. The white styrofoam will.

For sealing your deck fiberglass and resin is the way to go (especially as this is apparently a fiberglass boat and you'll be fiberglass tabbing the wood to the boat sides anyway). You can then paint it with any good outdoor paint I'd think.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

The other thing to do is start reading other posts here on this subject (there are hundreds) it will answer all of your questions and let you see how others did it.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Here's a drawing on how to do your deck. EZ is spot on about using the Pink/Blue slab foam.

Click the pic to Enlarge

Decks.jpg

Ok so. Appreciate the responses.

The Eps foam - When setting in between the stringers, do i need to secure them in> Is PL Preminum ok for this?

1 Do i seal the foam with a latex paint or leave it as is?

2. either if i seal it or dont. can i put PL Preminum on the top of the foam for extra strength?

Deck :

When sealing the plywood deck, i wanted to use just regular resin for this , either soak or just brush on some coats.? Not put down cloth over the whole thing. Will i get a good seal with this> Will it start to crack> I know epoxy is probably better but damn expensive.

1.Pb on the sides, I will have one 4 to 5 inch. strip for deck sides attaching the hull. then another strip 8 to 10 inches over that. Maybe another coat over the whole deck . <Resin>

2 then im thinking about using Gliddens polyurethane oil gloss enamel. Put 2 to 3 coats.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Ok so. Appreciate the responses.

The Eps foam - When setting in between the stringers, do i need to secure them in> Is PL Preminum ok for this? No Need to do this but if you do PL would be ok.

1 Do i seal the foam with a latex paint or leave it as is? Leave it!

2. either if i seal it or dont. can i put PL Preminum on the top of the foam for extra strength? Extra Strength for what ??

Deck :

When sealing the plywood deck, i wanted to use just regular resin for this , either soak or just brush on some coats.? Not put down cloth over the whole thing. Will i get a good seal with this> Will it start to crack> I know epoxy is probably better but damn expensive.
Poly resin without cloth is brittle and when flexed will crack like glass. Not recommended to use without CSM mat and/or cloth.

1.Pb on the sides, I will have one 4 to 5 inch. strip for deck sides attaching the hull. then another strip 8 to 10 inches over that. Maybe another coat over the whole deck . <Resin>
Refer to my drawing. It shows how to fabricate your deck if you are using poly resin. If you are using epoxy, then no need for mat or cloth but 6oz cloth is recommend. Your method for tabbing the deck to the hull is fine.

2 then im thinking about using Gliddens polyurethane oil gloss enamel. Put 2 to 3 coats. This would work fine. I used Rustoleum's Professioal Oil Based paint for mine. Worked Great with a little play sand added for non skid.

My answers are in Red above.

Alrighty, I assumed that was gonna be my answer lol. thank you. Very helpful.

I might go with epoxy.. I have the cloth matt. but it would take me 2 gal. or so to do it.. which is quite expensive.

Last dumb >? lol Is it possible for me to not resin & cloth or epoxy but just do a waterproofer or sealer. like thompsons or something similar. and paint over it . or am i going down the wrong road here.

So besides that i will get started on it . Ill try and post some pictures tomorrow of the before and between and after the weekend hopefully the almost finished product.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Spar varnish would be better than Thompson's...but I'd stick with epoxy resin for a good waterproofing.

My main thing is sealing the wood on all sides, relatively cheap.. I am for sure using Gliddens Oil Enamel paint for the deck.

So its just the sealing part.

Epoxy~

Garage Floor expoxy kit for concrete.

Varnish~

Some sort of sealer~

Resin and cloth~

I'm getting pushed towards a varnish then my paint or A sealer then my paint.. ~ i believe i will be ok for a year or so if i do either one of these. What do you think >

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

This is my bad for not asking before, What kind of boat is this, and what are your intentions for using her? Got any pics??

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Get that Thompson's idea out of your head. That junk is basically colored wax. Not only is a crappy sealer, it certainly won't work under anything else.

Alright so no Thompson's. lol .

Yeah i was thinking the same thing last night. I kinda have to tell you what im looking to do . lol .

Well its a 1985 18ft. Glastron , On the title it says the boat is a CU model . I have tried to look up info on the boat and i cant find much . Has a Johnson 175hp outboard, the guy before me put on it . I will be strictly fishing on this boat , Mostly in the harbor and within a couple miles of shore. Until im comfortable going out to Catalina.

All i want is the deck plywood to have a good seal on it for a reasonable price. And i will be painting over that . I know i should probably lay down cloth and resin for the deck but i really dont want to do that ... So i am just looking for a alternative way.

And im working on the pic's as we speak . Gotta figure out how to do it.

View attachment 113956View attachment 113957

k so i dont know if this worked but here is a couple pictures of the outside and motor. For $500 i didnt think twice.

Wish i knew how to do my own motor work ... Looks like ill be watching over my mechanics back lol.

I will try and post more of the inside for some reason its not doing what i want.

So this boat will be used in Both salt and fresh water . Mostly harbor trips and along the shore. Im not trying to restore her. just get her back on the water and bloody.

View attachment 113958

This is the front . I will be building a raised fishing deck . Probably out of two by fours . Still gotta figure out the floor before.

Im trying to get a picture of the whole inside but for some reason it wont upload a picture of anything bigger than 2 MB.

Anyone know how to post the picture directly to the forum ...

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Pics aren't working. Click the Go Advanced button when posting and then post your pics. Should work.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

OK, I lied, your pics are currently working but there's a glitch that will make them not work in like an hour. Do the Go Advanced thing like I said and you'll be fine.