Steering Wheel Removal

redeye1962

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 69 Glasstron I am trying to get the steering wheel off. the back has some bolts I removed but has done no good. The front appears to have a bolt with a "key" nut needed to take off. Is there a special key to take this off?As you can see a small screw driver does not work. :facepalm:

DSCN0974a.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN0974a.jpg
    DSCN0974a.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 0

BWT

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Steering Wheel Removal

On the back side of the console there should be some mounting bolts for the wheel assembly. If all the cables are attached and you don't want to unhook everything, in order to strictly pull the wheel you'll need a "puller". It's essentially a 3 arm claw with a center bolt that will pull the wheel from the shaft. It's possible to remove the wheel without one of these, but difficult and may do some minor damage. The wheel is mounted onto a tapered shaft with the keyway under a bit of compression. So, once it starts to move it will get easier, but getting it started will be the hard part. Let us know how it goes..

Good luck!

~BWT

BWT

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, you can get a small puller from an auto store; they range anywhere from $40 - $150. Before I go out and buy one, do you have any wood clamps? It would involve a little backwoods creativity but it can work. If you have 2 small bar clamps (12") and a small chunk of wood you can make an "improvised" version of a puller providing it's not pressed on too hard. The pressure from the clamps needs to be equal on the steering collar otherwise it will bind. Try getting the clamps on the column opposite each other (say 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock) with a piece of wood that is about the same diameter as the shaft (or smaller). With another piece of wood that is able to span the distance between the two clamps while going over the small piece on the shaft (think of it like a 'T') equally tighten the clamps until the wheel pulls free up the shaft. If it seems like you're putting alot of pressure on the wheel then stop and buy a puller. More often than not this will work. It may not look pretty but does work..

Good luck, let us know how it goes..

~BWT

oops!

Supreme Mariner

tup....even harbour freight

redeye1962

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have some C clamps I can use that may do the job. I always thought there was a bolt that held on the steering wheels and not pressed on. Learn something new everyday.
Thanks

BWT

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, there should be some sort of a lock nut or split ring on the shaft; it would be odd for it strictly to me held on by compression. Look closely at the shaft; split rings can be kinda hard to see. Also, see if the outer hub is removable; might be some bolts under there (the plastic ring around the outside of the shaft; looking at the pics I would guess either under there, or the hex bolt at the top might play into the mounting.)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Thread the nut back on a bit (to protect the threads) and then whack it with a hammer while you're pulling up on the wheel. Works every time :D

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Have you tried pulling out on the wheel hub with one hand and smacking the center shaft w/ a hammer?

I type too slow.

Last edited:

relocyo

Chief Petty Officer

What I found that works like a champ, using a 3 inch socket extension put that on the shaft and bang with a hammer while having someone pull up on the wheel, I actualy did it by myself using my monkey feet to pull up while tapping, took 3 hits and it was off! Good luck...

redeye1962

Petty Officer 1st Class

I will try some of these things when I get a chance. Of course the next question is............how does it go back on?

redeye1962

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok the confusing thing is there are threads on the shaft. I have not taken any nuts off of it. There appears to be a washer like device present but other than that there does not appear to be anything holding this thing on. I have pulled on this thing and smashed it with a hammer............did not mash the end too bad. :( this thing has not budged. There is nothing on the back end holding it on either. I am afraid I am going to break it.

relocyo

Chief Petty Officer

What I found that works like a champ, using a 3 inch socket extension put that on the shaft and bang with a hammer while having someone pull up on the wheel, I actualy did it by myself using my monkey feet to pull up while tapping, took 3 hits and it was off! Good luck...

Try this!

redeye1962

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry you guys are all wrong. All it took was a bigger hammer. :) I rented a steering wheel puller that would not screw on correctly.
The steering wheel broke off and I was able to take off the cable I needed but the weld on the steering wheel is still on and I cannot take it off. There appears to be a key of sorts located in the back but I cannot figure it out. I have tried different angles to see if I can get it loose but no go. I will get some pics and see if anyone can figure it out.

Thanks, gor all your help.