1971 21' Starcraft Chieftain (eventual restoration)

ErikF

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1971 21' Starcraft Chieftain (eventual restoration)

No questions in this post, I just want to share a cool piece of technology that I'll be tying into this project.

DSC_0015.JPG

I have a Toughbook CF-18 that will be coming with me on the boat whenever I'm on the lake. It's a fully rugged convertible laptop/tablet touchscreen computer with integrated GPS. I use it in my truck as a touchscreen GPS/media player and plan to do the same in the boat. I have a 12v power supply for it so I'll be able to plug it into the accessory outlet and go. I'm debated on placement, I'd like to install a cradle for it around the dash area but if the space constraints turn out to be too much I'll likely make a place for it on the counter in the cuddy and then simply strap it down the the "cuddy roof" when I need to use it as a GPS.

ErikF

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hello Everyone,

Time for another long overdue update, unfortunately I do not have any new pictures this time as I forgot to put the memory card in my camera before I left to work on the boat yesterday.

Progress has been slower but work is still getting done. Yesterday I spent a few hours working on the boat, mostly on the electrical systems, I traced my power tilt problem back to either a bad limit switch in the outdrive or corroded wiring going to the switch, the rest of the tilt/trim wiring has been gone through with new wire and heat shrink crimp connectors as needed, interestingly enough the only wires that really showed any wear were the ones going to the limit switch, everything else looked remarkably good, it looks like the limit switch wires are a different type (thicker, more rubbery insulation and finer strands). I haven't begun to pull the outdrive to expose the limit switch yet, I'm planning to hold off on that until the inside electrical and mechanical systems have been gone through.

I also took some time to pull out all of the old accessory wiring and rough sketch up a new wiring diagram for putting it back together, I was initially debating whether or not to start fresh but after getting into it and finding some interesting wiring practices and a few too many corroded connectors and splices I decided better to start fresh and hopefully not have to worry about any electrical problems for years.

What type of wire is appropriate for marine use? I'm looking on the Jamestown Distributor website and see the wire listed as "type 3, tinned copper stranding, etc..." is there a classification for this wire? I have hundreds if not thousands of feet of various color and gauge THHN, SOOW, and SJO multi-conductor wire and would like to make use of what I have if any of it will be a good fit for marine use.

Other progress included removing the lower plexiglass windshield for replacement, quite the adventure as it had obviously been leaking for some time, after cutting off probably ten pounds of caulk we worked to remove the holding strips on both sides and then the bottom one, the bolts on the bottom edge were all spinning in the channel so I had to break the nuts off to remove it, the windshield came out in one piece and I was able to flatten it, trace a pattern on cardboard, measure & record the bend angle in the center. Unfortunately the bottom weatherstripping will not be reusable, does anyone have a source for replacement? I'm also looking for recommendations for replacement plexiglass, I'm hoping to find a 2'x6' sheet for minimal waste. Any recommendations?

I'll try to update the thread soon with more current information & pictures!

-Erik

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

If you have wire and it's the appropriate gauge for what it's powering, I'd sure as heck use it. If you were boating frequently in saltwater maybe I'd be more concerned. This guy is highly regarded here http://gregsmarinewiresupply.com/Zen/

sprintst

Commander

Slick setup you have there. I just quickly went over some of the posts but have to run out the door.

I'll check back in a bit later to go over some of the cool stuff you've posted.

ErikF

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you have wire and it's the appropriate gauge for what it's powering, I'd sure as heck use it. If you were boating frequently in saltwater maybe I'd be more concerned. This guy is highly regarded here http://gregsmarinewiresupply.com/Zen/

Yup, this is pretty much my thinking, I've used my leftover wire on my other boat(s) with no issue but they've only been in use for a few seasons now so I'm unsure about the long-term reliability. I don't foresee any problems but wanted to ask in case using non marine specific wire could cause a situation where saving a penny today will cost me a dollar in a season or two.

I hopefully have a lead on a new windshield from the local glass shop, I'll post an update on that as soon as I have more details, might also be going to work on the boat this evening, I'll be sure to take new pictures to post if I do.

-Cheers,

Erik

ErikF

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm back at work on the boat.

I have a question about the gas tanks. The tanks in my boat are recent replacement Tempo plastic tanks and are installed above deck.

Here's a picture of the tanks as they're currently installed:

DSC_0035.JPG

Anyone have recommendations or pictures of how I should frame out & build a cover over the tanks? Ideally I would like to keep the cover as low profile as possible.

There are two tanks, one on each side, 12.5 gallons each.

Next thing I'm looking at doing is dropping a wall behind the doghouse (on either side of the doghouse). Basically dropping a wall in the area behind where the jump-seats would normally be.

Here's a picture of the area:

DSC_0036.JPG

Any reason not to do this? Basically I'm looking for an easy & clean way to separate the batteries/electrical from the rest of the boat. Any recommendations or suggestions on how to put this together. I would either need easily removable panels or panels with doors/hatches large enough to remove and install batteries.

Advice, suggestions?

-Erik

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I'm posting from my phone which stinks, but in short....

You'll probably want some sort of elbows incorporated into your fuel lines in order to keep the housings on the smaller side. Take a look at how my Islander started out and you'll see a pair of seat boxes that housed my above deck tanks. Might give ya an idea.

By the way - I hope that's just a mock up there. I don't believe I see any ss hose clamps?

If you can hold tight on building the stern side of your cockpit we can work together on it over the winter. That's pretty much where I'll be headed on my big rig too.

ErikF

Petty Officer 1st Class

Its just a mockup with the fuel tank. I use double SS hose clamps on all connections.

I'll look at your thread for some inspiration.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Next thing I'm looking at doing is dropping a wall behind the doghouse (on either side of the doghouse). Basically dropping a wall in the area behind where the jump-seats would normally be.
Any reason not to do this? Basically I'm looking for an easy & clean way to separate the batteries/electrical from the rest of the boat. Any recommendations or suggestions on how to put this together. I would either need easily removable panels or panels with doors/hatches large enough to remove and install batteries.
Advice, suggestions?
-Erik
Hi Erik,
I think what is most important in your walls/separation is that they be easily removable for maintenance, perhaps quickly. I have seen some built-in designs on this website that look good on the outside, but the enclosures might be rather difficult to access for repair. Avoid the need for specific tools as much as possible. My '72 Holiday has a similar stern to your Chieftain. Take a look at how I partitioned mine. With the exception of the toilet itself, all walls are removable, leaving the stern wide open for service. - Grandad

Attachments

• 100_3492 Reduced.jpg
    100_3492 Reduced.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 100_3503 Reduced.jpg
    100_3503 Reduced.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 100_3512 Reduced.jpg
    100_3512 Reduced.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 5

ErikF

Petty Officer 1st Class

Grandad,

Thanks for the pictures, that's an ingenious setup you have!

My idea right now is to do a panel that hinges along the top and can flip up 180? for accessibility. Basically for access you would flip the doghouse up and then reach back and flip up the panel. Hopefully that makes sense...

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

That makes perfect sense. That would be functional and easy to make.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Here is some more inspiration for ya...

Picture012.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

If I had a Chief/Islander, I'd be building that ^^^ :)

ErikF

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here is some more inspiration for ya...

Picture012.jpg

I saw that picture when looking through your thread for some information, I read ...okay skimmed through the first 80 so pages, lots of great information!

I like the design, I'll do some measuring next time I'm working and see if something like that will fit.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yah, that ^^^^ is a great setup there. I was able to sneak my fuel tanks sub deck so I have other plans for that storage space. Port side will get a big ol fish box and the starboard side will be storage for tackle boxes, downrigger gear and whatever else.

ErikF

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here's one more question, just because I was thinking about it this morning.

I might have a fueling issue. This past summer when I was running the boat I didn't have fuel gauges and would run one tank dry and then switch to the other. I noticed that the engine was not able to prime itself and I ended up using a Mityvac to pull fuel through the lines. Once the engine had fuel it would run great and never have any issues.

I checked the fuel pump pressure/vacuum and both are within spec, can I just put a primer bulb (like used on an outboard) on the tanks to prime the system if I run a tank dry next season? Or do my priming issues point to a larger problem?

The other fuel system issue I just realized I'll have is the "T" valve that switches between the two tanks, the valve is mounted in the transom and will be hard to access when I'm on the water as it will be hidden behind a panel. Can I get a 12VDC electric valve or would I be best off modifying the fuel system to make the current valve more accessible?

-Erik

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Erik - you have the same problem as a car with a mechanical fuel pump and running out of gas. When your tank runs dry the fuel line from the tank selector valve is dry and most likely the second tank line as well. Mech fuel pumps take forever to suck the air out. A primer bulb is a inexpensive solution. Just squeeze until it's hard like an outboard. On the tank valve, I would put the valve close to the two tanks, run hose under the deck to the valve and the bulb right after the valve. If you are putting the tanks under the helm seat bases here's an idea. Mount the valve and primer bulb behind an access hatch on the seat base. Run a tank dry, open hatch, flip valve, squeeze bulb, close hatch, hit the starter and motor away.

You also eliminate fuel hoses. Right now you have a hose from each tank to the valve, you would have a single hose from the valve to the motor using the closer to tank valve set-up. That marine fuel hose is pricy.

Here's a before pic I drew up

And the after pic

See, nothing to it. Sorry, but I can't draw on a computer. I have better luck with an Etch-A-Sketch.

ErikF

Petty Officer 1st Class

GA_Boater,

The pictures aren't showing up for some reason. No problem though as I understand what you're saying. That would be the cleanest solution, unfortunately the new deck is already in place and would be quite the bit of work to remove. I think the best I can do right now is add a primer bulb to both tanks and remount the valve in a location that will be easily accessed near the transom. I'll be working on the boat tomorrow and will take pictures to explain.

Do you have a suggestion for where to get the hatches? I'm thinking something round, 10" diameter, that's tool-less for accessibility.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Erik - GA was being sarcastic on ya there.:D

Great Lakes Skipper usually has a good selection of hatches:)