install lounge seats

xGH0ZTx

Seaman
I just removed an old seat I want to replace with a walmart lounge seat. I am left with four holes from the previous seat in my fiberglass floor. The seats will be delivered this week and want to be ready to install them.

_0842.jpg_0841.jpg

What will I need to put these in?

xGH0ZTx

Seaman
Re: instal lounge seats

these are the new seats...

lounge seats.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I'd fill the holes and do it like this...

Grind down the deck, use some 2x2 and Resin and CSM and tab it to the deck. Then screw the seat bases to it from the inside.

(Click the Pic to Enlarge)

SeatMount.jpg

xGH0ZTx

Seaman

That looks like something I can do. What would you recommend I fill the previous hole with?

Thanks for all the help by the way

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I'd use Bondo Hair.

wambs8

Seaman

I have the same seats.(wise????) Under the seats there are 2 plastic cross members that run from one side of the base to the other. You have the option of raising up the cross member enough that you can tab a 2 X 4 to the floor and use some fiberglass cloth over the 2X4's and then screw in some lag bolts into the holes of the plastic cross member and into the glassed in 2 X4.(carefull not to go into the floor). Kind of hard to explain. When you get the seats look at all the parts and how they go together and you will see what I mean. I was going to do it wondonglass way. I will see if I can get a pic to you.

wambs8

Seaman

PICT0077.jpg

The plastic piece can be put into 2 different spots. The upper spot allows you to tab a piece of wood under this and screw into the wood not the deck.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If that's the case them wambs8 is Spot On on his advice!!!!!

xGH0ZTx

Seaman

That is SUPER helpful. These forums are great :)

xGH0ZTx

Seaman

Before I fiberglass the 2X4 in do I screw it into the fiberglass deck? If so is there a certain type of hardware I should use or does it not matter since it will be covered in a layer or two of fiberglass.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I would NOT screw into the deck unless absolutely necessary. the glass tabbing is plenty strong enough.

xGH0ZTx

Seaman

OK I will just tab it in then. Is one layer of fiberglass enough or should I layer it?

I received the seats today and cleaned up the floor in prep for filling the old holes that attached the previous seats.
I am going to use the bondohair and then start working on the 2X4's. Does the would need to be pressure treated or doesn't it matter since it will be encased in glass?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

OK I will just tab it in then. Is one layer of fiberglass enough or should I layer it?

I received the seats today and cleaned up the floor in prep for filling the old holes that attached the previous seats.
I am going to use the bondohair and then start working on the 2X4's. Does the would need to be pressure treated or doesn't it matter since it will be encased in glass?

I'd use plain ole' douglas fir 2x4. I'd use two layers of tabbing. 2" tab then 4" tab. Make sure to wipe down everything with Acetone before applying first coat of resin. Coat the wood and the deck with resin and then lay the glass and dab it all wet using a Cheap CHIP Brush.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The plastic piece can be put into 2 different spots. The upper spot allows you to tab a piece of wood under this and screw into the wood not the deck.

I did not know that and that's some great advice!

wambs8

Seaman

The plastic piece can be put into 2 different spots. The upper spot allows you to tab a piece of wood under this and screw into the wood not the deck
I think Wise seating had a recent design change on the bases because no where in the instructions is it mentioned as a option to mount it this way.

xGH0ZTx

Seaman

The seats I received are identical to the photo that you posted. There are no screw holes to secure the plastic piece in the upper position. I notice that there are holes to secure them if you were to use the lowest setting.

Will they be secure enough without screws?

Also I am debating whether or not to tab in two 2X4s to support each seat. There are two plastic pieces; however, the bracket in the front happens to be beneath the seat that is secured to the box which will make it very difficult to get at. Will one support be sufficient?

wambs8

Seaman

Tab in 2 pieces of wood. One for the front and one for the rear. You can use longer screws to go into the upper position. But it would be better if you drilled from the bottom and into the upper part and used some small bolts and nuts to attach the black plastic to the frame.

xGH0ZTx

Seaman

So predrill into the 2X4 a space to fit the bolts and just drop the supports onto the bolts after fiberglassing the 2X4 in...
Then prob just use some washers and nuts.

Is that how you installed yours?

wambs8

Seaman

PICT0077-1-1.jpg
I did not install my seats. My vinyl floor is on back order. That lag bolt is really a lag screw. Your using a small bolt and nut where the black plastic support meets the frame because you wont be able to get a screw driver in there. Use washers and split washers where ever possible. Use all stainless.

Attachments

• PICT0077-1.jpg
    PICT0077-1.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 3

wambs8

Seaman

IMG_0778600pxWide-StripEXIF-1.jpg
You can use these lag/screws if you want. Sink the screw portion in the wood and the thread part sticks out. That way you can use Nuts. So if you ever want to remove the seats.