Transom Repair 1979 Century 3000

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Transom Repair 1979 Century 3000

Florida boat is right.. there's a great review of seacast here on iboats. It's a sticky in this forum. Seems like great stuff, but $$$$$!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Seacast is a great product but it requires both an inner and outer wall to pour it. Since 84Edh does not have this, he would have to fabricate one and this would be counterproductive. Also, a properly prepared, installed an maintained wood transom will last decades and that should be long enough to last the life of the boat. Keep on with your restore Ed. Don't get sidetracked.

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer

yes, I think I am into the traditional wood transom. I like working with wood. And W-o-g, not only would decades encompass the life of the boat, it will most likely last longer than I will! I am going to take out my gas tank and start exploring the soundness of the rest of the boat in the next couple of days.....then hopefully start building it back.

thank you to everyone offering info and advice. I do appreciate!

island mike

Chief Petty Officer

84edh,Be prepared when you start exploring you will almost certainly find more rot,But hey so big so what.Right?Wanna get rid of the rot? :Gotta rip.
and yes indeed do not get sidetracked..A wooden transom will last forever and has tremendous strenght.Boats are build with wooden transoms for a good reason,Its proven over the years.
Good luck I mike

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer

I removed my fuel tank and found some more bad wood. The stringers to either side of the center 2 ft. seem solid. there is fiberglass tabbed 6 0r 7 inches up the side of the stringer that laps on to bare plywood between the stringers. There is foam about 2 inches thick against the hull bottom, then 1/2" plywood over that. the fuel tank is suspended over this open plywood. the plywood is wet and rotted. the underneath foam is wet. the stringer is dry and hard and isolated from the wet. it looks like I can just repair the center plywood on this part.

foam questions: where I have pulled the top decking off, foam fills the void. this stuff is sturdy. you can walk on it and it does not move! the way some of the decking is installed looks like they rely on this strength to help support the deck......is this the case?

there are some areas where the foam is bone dry except the very bottom against the hull it is damp. the foam might be wet 1/8 ". should this foam be pulled out also?

is replacement foam injected in like the original construction?

much thanks for help with this

Ed

I-Mike, yes some busy. my wife thinks the boat is the last priority. go figure?

this photo shows the fiberglass rolled from the rotted plywood up onto part of the stringer near the stern.
DSCN1908.jpg

this next photo shows where I pealed back the fiberglass exposing the rotted stringer underneath!

DSCN1909.jpg

next photo shows where the stringer gets hard all the way down.....can you replace the rotted part going back?

DSCN1910.jpg

this next photo shows where the foam is dry....and where the foam was cut out and wood used to fill in and help anchor the deck.

DSCN1911.jpg

this photo shows where the unprotected 1/2"plywood under the fuel tank was wet and rotted.
DSCN1912.jpg

island mike

Chief Petty Officer

Wahahaha yes I ed I certainly know what you mean about the wife part! Compromise;Tell her you will name the boat after her!
Now about the foam; Its there for flotation,(safety)Not for a structural purpose.I myself do not care for foam (I might have started something) I decided not to replace, It will always suck up water again one way or the other, And get heavy. Then again I am no foam expert..For me it was a personal choise. Ed, I am afraid that with the foam there you cant investigate the extent of the rot. ALL the rot has to go and I know ripping everything out is not pretty,But believe me; you are making A better boat.Probably better than when it was new. If the stringer shows rot,rip it out we can make a new one..Hope this helps. I mike

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

Wahahaha yes I ed I certainly know what you mean about the wife part! Compromise;Tell her you will name the boat after her!
Now about the foam; Its there for flotation,(safety)Not for a structural purpose.I myself do not care for foam (I might have started something) I decided not to replace, It will always suck up water again one way or the other, And get heavy. Then again I am no foam expert..For me it was a personal choise. Ed, I am afraid that with the foam there you cant investigate the extent of the rot. ALL the rot has to go and I know ripping everything out is not pretty,But believe me; you are making A better boat.Probably better than when it was new. If the stringer shows rot,rip it out we can make a new one..Hope this helps. I mike

I'm no expert either, but I'd like to disagree. Foam CAN be structural and has a great anti crush property.. also it will not get water logged if you install a drainage system... oops has perfected that... take a look at his thread, he has a method using srink wrap and pvc to make drains in the foam itself.. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=234392 I added foam to my boat.. I used foam sheets cut to size.. take a look at the link in my sig there are pics on page 3-4 i believe. It's really your choice... but it will add flotation and some rigidity to the hull

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

PS -- you can get in touch with century and see if the foam was structural... either way it helps support everything..

island mike

Chief Petty Officer

So i Did start something!
I never realized century made foam boats!!
Just kidding,
I was responding to ed question if the foam is there to support the deck,In this case I say no,The stringers are(were) there for that purpose, I agree that foam adds ridgidity to the hull and flotation..
I mike.

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

I mike, not starting anything -- everyone has a different opinion on this and it's good for 84ed to hear different ones :)

As long as you get most of the wood off the inside and sure that there is no rot. small bits just need to be dry and the rot fungus dead. Rot travels so make sure that all of it is gone. I like the Seacast for replacing wood in fiberglass boats. I used to repair and rebuild wood boats in Annapolis Maryland and we always knew any wood that was covered with plastic was doomed to rot as soon as water got to it. The Seacast can be used for the stringers and other structural parts contact them thru their web site www.transomrepair.net.

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

As long as you get most of the wood off the inside and sure that there is no rot. small bits just need to be dry and the rot fungus dead. Rot travels so make sure that all of it is gone. I like the Seacast for replacing wood in fiberglass boats. I used to repair and rebuild wood boats in Annapolis Maryland and we always knew any wood that was covered with plastic was doomed to rot as soon as water got to it. The Seacast can be used for the stringers and other structural parts contact them thru their web site www.transomrepair.net.

You're really pushing the seacast... I think he's half way done with a wooden transom and not going back...