I got a (new)question for you Starcraft guys, Officially a Project

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Will I be able to see the transom wood if I look under the splashwell? Going to look at one in a bit and wondering. its an 18ft open bow.

Last edited:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: I got a question for you Starcraft guys

Assuming you are talking about an ob version...

Yup, you should be able to see it. Although, rot typically happens in the nether regions, down in the corners, under the alum channel, through bolts...

Have fun!

kfa4303

Banned

Yeah, it's out in the open for you to see. If they'll let you, gently poke around a few spots with a screw driver just to get a feel for how hard/soft the transom really is. If you do need/want to replace it, it's not that bad. A bit of plywood and sealant, some SS hardware and 3M 5200 will give you a transom that will last ages. Good luck with the boat. I hope it works out.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Cool thanks guys, finally came to reallity that I'm not gonna have my FG boat done until atleast next year and really miss having a boat Found one on CL that needs a motor for decent $$. Says floors have been replace (don't know how long ago) so I figured if they are good I could have a boat again within a few weeks.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

:mad: Missed it

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Re: I got a (new) question for you Starcraft guys

So worse than a fiberglass itch I got the itch to be boating. Found a guy with a bunch of boats through CL. Talked and got pics from him of a few get me on the water quick projects. What do ya think of these?

68? 15' w/ running 70's 50hp Johnson. $500 needs a transom floors are usable.

photobucket-2374-1310610304402.jpg

photobucket-2993-1310610410953.jpg

18.5' I/O 4cylinder not running not locked up needs lower unit that he has. $650

photobucket-2752-1310610809482.jpg

photobucket-3320-1310610825208.jpg

I'd like the bigger boat but I'm leaning towords the 15' as it seems to be a quicker boat fix to get me by.

And just cause I thought it was cool an aluminum cruiser

photobucket-2998-1310611034332.jpg

KellyC

Senior Chief Petty Officer

That big ol cruiser would be cool as all get out to fix up. I like it :D

kfa4303

Banned

The cruiser would be cool, but you could get the 15' on the water pretty quick, if the motors ok. lots of links here on how to fix the transom too.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That Johnson is an electric shifter :( If the shifting is working though it could be fine.

The I/O hull looks really nice but you'll be dumping some big coin into powering it unless you find a great deal on a donor boat.

That cruiser is awesome!

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The cruiser is sweet but the Holiday IO has CANNONS!!!!!

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Re: I got a (new)question for you Starcraft guys

The cost and unknown condition of the I/O does scare me a bit, however I'd really like the bigger boat as eventually this will likely end up parked at the family lake get away thats currently being put together. But as I said with a FG project going I really don't want another big project. He did say he had a complete parts motor to go with it, so perhaps I will look close in person at it and not just write it off.

The 15' w/ electricshift doesn't scare me quite as much but I know what I need to look for on that. I know if it's running as good as he says I'll be on the water in just a few weeks which is the goal after all I'm wondering if its going to just be to small as I know of one little girl that will be disappointed if I end up with another fishing boat that she can't tube behind. Bottom line the 15 gets me on the water but would tubing with it be asking to much of it?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

50 hp on a TINNY you'll get 30 to 35 mph on a 15 footer. I'd think you could pull a kid on a tube all day and have a LOT of Fun!!!!. My Flamingo GlASSER Weighs alot more than that tinny and it will do it. It also has an electric shifter. If the Lower unit oil has NO WATER in it then you should be good to go. That would be my choice, Even though you ARE A TRAITOR going over to the "TIN SIDE":facepalm:

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

LOL Wood Up until the AC all my boats have been tinnies. Just not used to big boy boats with steering wheels. Plus you know how I like to fret.

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Well, I must admit, my NEXT one will be a TINNY. Just haven't found her yet.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Well, I must admit, my NEXT one will be a TINNY.

So wise ^^^^^^^ (harps playing in the background, room gets brighter, doves fly by):D

If you are doing a lot of tubing and such a bigger boat would be more comfortable.

Wood is right though, you could have a load of fun in the smaller one. Re-power is easy too:)

fishrdan

Admiral

I'd go for the 15'er. The 18'er with the Mercruiser is old, late 60's I'd guess with the hydraulic lines going from the trim cylinders up the the side of the transom assy, tough to get parts for.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

So wise ^^^^^^^ (harps playing in the background, room gets brighter, doves fly by):D

That there is funny.

15' it is I'm getting stoked to go eyeball it in person and provided it runs and shifts as promised I think it will fit the bill nicely.

Thanks for the nudges guys.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, Jas I ALWAYS yankin my "TINNY" Chain ever chance he Gets!!!!!!:redface:

third times the charm

Petty Officer 1st Class

man you found a boat restorers gold mine,;)
yeah i would go with the 15 footer, but i do love those cannons on that hoilday:D
makes me want to put some on mine when i tear it down over the winter. That big ol crusier is just cool as hell, man i dont need another project right now though:(
the driveway is full for right now. but anyway defintely the 15 is your sure bet

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Well I went and picked her up today,

1968 Jet Star (correct me if I'm wrong) w/ a 71 50hp Johnson.

01SC07.jpg

01SC50hp.jpg

Got there and the motor started right up, holds neutral, and shifts. So short of a possible tune up/carb cleaning I think its good to go.

I'm hoping 2-3 weekends to do a good cleaning, a transom board, and replace the steering cable then I can be back boating and fishing.

01SC04.jpg

01SC05.jpg

I'm still in awe, the guy I bought it from had had it out running up and down the river. :eek: and kept saying "I think he(the PO before him) only had those on there cause he towed it down here from MN" :facepalm:

Continued.......