1981 "SpaceCraft Boat Works, Miami FL" 23.33ft 4100lb V240 Super Sport

ingalp01

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1981 "SpaceCraft Boat Works, Miami FL" 23.33ft 4100lb V240 Super Sport

That video post worked out a lot better embedded.

Looking good assembled like that... Now I know who to call when it's time to overhaul the Merc 260... LOL...

I like the video embedding thing, looks a lot better in the post...

Keep the updates coming.

digitizedsoul

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well I removed the old push/pull OMC True course steering last night (with a sawz-all).
We could NOT figure out how the damn thing came out, even after cutting it out lol.

Boy it sure was fun to take a sawz all to something metal for a change.

digitizedsoul

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Installed a new starter solenoid tonight. Almost started a fire and it melted one of the battery posts off. Burnt my had real good too.

Not sure what went wrong...

ingalp01

Petty Officer 1st Class

Installed a new starter solenoid tonight. Almost started a fire and it melted one of the battery posts off. Burnt my had real good too.

Not sure what went wrong...

That sucks man... Usually I remove the negative battery cable before I do any electrical work... I'm assuming you somehow closed the circuit, or had something connected incorrectly. I hope the hand isn't too bad... Sorry to hear that...

digitizedsoul

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Not sure, but I discovered another problem. When I got it back from the machine shop, they had put my distributor back in for me and when i put the cap on yesterday and started turning it over, the cap was wobbling. So I took it off again and the rotor which was brand new by the way had been SCRAPING the cap in one area.

Not sure if the shaft is warped, distributor is now useless or what but this is really getting old.

digitizedsoul

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well I had installed a brand new starter on here prior to all the water leak issues and machine shop visit. That brand new starter won't extend the bendix now properly, so back to advance we go yet again...

digitizedsoul

Petty Officer 3rd Class

UPDATE:
Dropped the engine in last night! Just need to lag it down now (didn't want to do that in the dark)

digitizedsoul

Petty Officer 3rd Class

What do you guys with constant feedback and replies from numerous members of the site do to your threads to warrant such involvement?
Sprinkle something magical on them? Just wondering what i'm doing wrong here.

sdride

Seaman

What do you guys with constant feedback and replies from numerous members of the site do to your threads to warrant such involvement?
Sprinkle something magical on them? Just wondering what i'm doing wrong here.

I have followed this thread from the start and you have been doing a great job. It just seems that you do not need much help and you are posting more updates than questions and you have a pretty good handle on the project. More so than I ever would....

ingalp01

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ditto... I don't get tons of replies either, but I haven't asked a lot of questions lately either... When I do ask questions, they usually get answered within a day or so... Keep up the good work man... Next July will be here before we know it...

digitizedsoul

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have followed this thread from the start and you have been doing a great job. It just seems that you do not need much help and you are posting more updates than questions and you have a pretty good handle on the project. More so than I ever would....

Thanks man! See this just justifies the time and effort I put into uploading these videos and posting and all that. I love to hear that people actually read it :)

digitizedsoul

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well the engine is lagged down and secured,

But the wiring hardness is garbage on the backside of the switches / gauges. I'm not sure WHAT the previous owner had in mind.

Only thing I got out of it, was when flipping the trim motor up or down all the gauges maxed out. LOL

sdride

Seaman

Well it gives you and excuse to make it right like the rest of the boat. How soon until you have it on the water?

digitizedsoul

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Huge progress tonight, got the transom seal on (all 22 screws) 5200 put all around and it's tight and setting up now.
That inner hose clamp (the big one) for this OMC intermediate housing is a PITA brother let me tell you. Hell the whole thing was surprisingly difficult considering I used to think merc bellows were hard :)

I got the outdrive put on as well, trunions, etc and the shift cable pulled through. Gotta double check that make sure it isn't going to leak. It's such a stiff cable and kinda hard to get through the hole in the housing.

I also fired it up for the first time, only for a second though. Pretty sure the carburator gasket is garbage, and i'm going to rebuild the carb anyway so pulling that off as well.
Good times

sdride

Seaman

It looks like most of the hard stuff is done now. Now onto the fun stuff

digitizedsoul

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sorry no updates guys, haven't made any progress. There is an exhaust leak on the motor somewhere, not sure where and i'm hoping / praying it isn't the cylinder head gasket.

I JUST put this thing together, can't believe there is an exhaust leak. Oh well if it's just an exhaust manifold that should be easy enough.

sdride

Seaman

Yeah luck has not been on your side with that motor. It should be good as new once you are done though.

digitizedsoul

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well the guy who normally helps me has just been MIA to the 50th power lately. Not answering his phone, not at the shop (and it's HIS shop). I mean sure he's there during the workday (when i'm at my 9-5) but not when I get there.

Not sure what the deal is with that but obviously it's put a significant crimp in these plans. Not sure when i'll get done at this point.......

digitizedsoul

Petty Officer 3rd Class

UPDATE:

The disptick had a little white on it, but i remember leaving the lifters with some milky oil on them when I put them back in, so all that may have contributed. I SERIOUSLY doubt it's mixing again, and if it is i'm going to set fire to everything and move to another country.