1981 "SpaceCraft Boat Works, Miami FL" 23.33ft 4100lb V240 Super Sport

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1981 "SpaceCraft Boat Works, Miami FL" 23.33ft 4100lb V240 Super Sport

I'M A PROPONENT OF DOLLAR GENERAL'S AWESOME CLEANER--YELLOW COLORED DEGREASER/CLEANER. IT'S THE ONLY THING I'VE EVER FOUND TO REMOVE BLACK STREAKS FROM MY TRAVEL TRAILER. OF COURSE, IT'S ALSO REMOVING A SMALL LAYER OF PAINT EVERY TIME I USE IT--AND I NOW NEED TO REPAINT THE CAMPER.

EVERYWHERE I GO, I RUN INTO INBOARD/OUTBOARD HULLS WITH THE ENGINES OUT OF THEM. MANY OF THE HULLS ARE OF GREAT QUALITY--LIKE 79-85 SEA RAY 22' HULLS, OR WELLCRAFT HULLS. THEY DON'T MAKE BOATS LIKE THESE ANY MORE--AT LEAST AT A PRICE THAT'S AFFORDABLE.

I'M A FAN OF RECONDITIONING GREAT HULLS AND EITHER REPOWERING THEM WITH MODERN MERCRUISER ENGINES/OUTDRIVES. ANOTHER OPTION IS TO GLASS UP THE iI/O TRANSOM HOLES, HANG AN ALUMINUM EXTERNAL MOTOR MOUNT ON THE BOAT AND MOUNT A BIG 4 STROKE OUTBOARD ON IT.

digitizedsoul

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Wow another spacecraft boat owner!!! How awesome.
Yeah I won't be repowering this with anything other then what i've got going into it. I'm almost done in fact.

Not looking to make this a showboat LOL, just want it to go straight, occasionally turn, and continuously produce a grin on my face :)

digitizedsoul

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I want to do some LED Rope lighting under the sides, and also do some cool lighting in the cuddy. I haven't quite thought it out yet but i'm sure it'll come to me. Also want to put a killer stereo on board.

Going to take some more pics hopefully tonight.

digitizedsoul

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just bought a brand new starter, and some oil / oil filter and new belt. Should be good to go now!
I would hate to drop the motor in with an old starter.

fllflash

Recruit

Wow another spacecraft boat owner!!! How awesome.
Yeah I won't be repowering this with anything other then what i've got going into it. I'm almost done in fact.

Not looking to make this a showboat LOL, just want it to go straight, occasionally turn, and continuously produce a grin on my face :)

digitizedsoul ,
I got that OMC manuel off to you in the mail.
You should be getting it in a few days or so.
Flash

digitizedsoul

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just saw your message, thanks again mate thats a huge help!!!!! I owe ya a lake test on this beast :)

UPDATE: I just got a call from DNR, Decals are in the mail, boat is registered :) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I guarantee the blue added at least 10HP :D

stackz

Master Chief Petty Officer

lol. I like how in the video you basically have the new engine pissing on the old one.

what have you been doing for those heavy rust stains?

best method I've found is to just wet sand them with 1500 and then when it clogs up I just dip it back in the water and rub my finger to get all the clogging off and then back at it.

I've literally tried every "product" on the shelves including that starbright stuff. just cant cut through the BAD rust stains even with elbow grease. 1500 has been working just fine.

digitizedsoul

Petty Officer 3rd Class

@stackz Yeah i'm going to tackle the rust stains after I get the motor dropped, transom sealed up and everything lake tested. I also just started buffing the entire thing, from the transom forward since once the outdrive and all is back on I lose my chance. And yes, there is quite a bit of irony in the engine pissing all over the old one :) Not by accident!

@ezmobee Hey you know what those honda kids say, stickers add 5hp each! I was fresh out of stickers, so I went the redneck route with rust-o-leum! Hey at least it won't rust! I am going to put a 2nd coat on there too hahaha.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

If the blue doesn't get you the desired performance, try spray painting random dash pieces yellow. That always works :p

digitizedsoul

Petty Officer 3rd Class

LOL!!!!!!!!
Hey I heard that the AEM Intake stickers are 8hp+! Maybe I can get like a 5-pack or something :)

digitizedsoul

Petty Officer 3rd Class

UPDATE:

Well my boat has a completely rotten transom and will require full replacement. Looks like my life has just changed.

Emptied my new engines oil today as well, and it was white.

Many of you older non-internet guys may not know what this means but,

FML.

digitizedsoul

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I've decided to just dive in, dig out / saw out all the old plywood from the transom and replace without affecting the existing hull / gellcoat.

Gonna be tough, but i think I can do it.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Well I wish I could say I was surprised but I'm not. I really doubted the whole "100% fiberglass" thing. Well it's not the end of the world. Certainly fixable. There are plenty of transom replacement threads on here to guide you. Friscoboater's threads are great ones. So what's up with the motor? Did someone sell you a cracked block? I forget where you acquired that.

digitizedsoul

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Nah its a brand new rebuilt motor, before I painted it I checked everything. I am PRETTY sure it had water in the oil before I even finished my cooling loop and put water to it, so based on that an oil change / empty will get rid of that problem, or at least confirm it for me.

I'm pretty sure that I can't encounter any more problems or I might grenade something lol

fllflash

Recruit

UPDATE:

Well my boat has a completely rotten transom and will require full replacement. Looks like my life has just changed.

Emptied my new engines oil today as well, and it was white.

Many of you older non-internet guys may not know what this means but,

FML.
Sorry to hear about the rot. went through the same thing on my spacecraft
You might try drilling some pilot holes in the transom out from the opening to determine the extent of the rot. It might not necessarily mean the entire transom is bad. If you start closest and above the hole and move out and around you might find the rot is going to be in an arc with the highest point just above the center of the opening and spreading out and down on both sides from there.
Might be worth a try. Worst thing could happen is you have some 1/4" holes.
On mine had to repair about 6" up and 12" to the sides, which was fine because I dumped the OMC and went back with a Bravo and cut a new hole for that.
Good Luck

digitizedsoul

Petty Officer 3rd Class

fllflash, can't thank you enough for the manual, it's already helped me out twice just since I got it yesterday :)

I am going to go ahead and dig out / replace the entire thing. Even though i'm keeping the stringer 800 / OMC setup I plan on running this boat for a while, until a few years from now at least when I can afford a big fly bridge like I want. I want it done right ya know? I've already put this much into it, the motor is a brand new one practically and I have buffed it 7 times now (it just KEEPS soaking up the wax!) never seen a gel-coat this dry

I am going to hopefully start on the transom tonight, no idea what the weather this week is going to do to the plans though. Supposed to rain all week except today and tomorrow.

digitizedsoul

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Man am I feeling it today. That was a ROUGH job. Not even done yet...