1985 Bayliner 2450 Ciera Sunbridge Restoration underway!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1985 Bayliner 2450 Ciera Sunbridge Restoration underway!

Yeah it is nice to be able to enjoy her while working on her!
However, outdrive is my next project so will be dry docked for a while then....may put that off till winter comes! lol
got a little shudder in the drive when cornering hard at speed....i believe ujoint starting to go???
Boat is new to me so i'm going thru the whole thing eventually.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

stern seat.jpgstern seat2.jpg

I got the stern seat finished up and installed tonight. Double stitched every seam for strength with heavy duty outdoor thread. I wrapped 1mil plastic underneath the vinyl for moisture and abrasion resistance for the foam.
One corner didn't come out quite like i hoped but I can live with it. Stapled all around the circumference underneath and trimmed off the excess vinyl and plastic wrap. I couldn't find fancy SS staples for my air stapler so I did it by hand....about 200 staples! I then went over all the staples with a small sledge...tapping them to ensure they were in all the way.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

anyone know a good supplier for seat cushion foam? I think i'm going to avoid the original L shaped cockpit seating area and instead do a simple bench seat with a SS rail on the end. It really opens up the deck without that L seat in there! I'll get pics of my idea up soon. I've seen similar year model bayliners (saratogas i think) that has a similar set up. Any other ideas?

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Is it because she's a Bayliner that folks don't respond to my questions??? lol I think it's a sharp looking boat..

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

They are just jealous that their boat dont look near as sharp as a Babelinner. I have a local supplier for foam so you might want to check around . Great looking ride by the way. I love the lines on these babys.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks! What model is yours? looks very similar

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sorry for the delay guys!
Seating is coming along, I've established i could never do upholstery work professionally. Thats tricky stuff!
But, i'm plugging away(wasting vinyl and thread)
almost done and will post pics of end result
I've been out enjoying the lake the last few weekends. I'm getting back into her this weekend. Hope to fabricate a new dash panel as the original(or whats in there) is cracked....
it appears to be smoke colored plexi or something similar...

I'll be reusing the guages but replacing all the accessory switches with rockers for a cleaner look.

What have you guys used?
Any tips or advice?

Last edited:

emoney

Commander

I've seen guys use Starboard and recently, "Playboard", but why not just try and source some new "smoked plexi"?
As for the cushion material, I've purchased before at JoAnn's Fabrics if you've got one of those store near you. They actually carry the foam and marine vinyl. Assuming you can get past the "girliness" of the place, lol. Keep up the good work, the cushions are looking fine!

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks emoney...
I need some more foam and haven't been able to find a large enough piece at fabric stores. I will try JOann's, there is one not too far away. Thanks for the tip!
Its only 4' x 2' or so. I tried reusing the old foam but it just doesn't fit the new space....I figured this out after sewing up a cover for it of course. It works but isn't ideal and i'm going to replace it. I've got plenty of vinyl, bought it on sale for 9.95/yd....i bought the whole bolt of both colors. =)

Any other ideas for the dash panel replacement? I wonder where I can find that black colored plexiglass type stuff........

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well, I've removed the drive and begun resealing things and replacing bushings on the yoke and helmet. Also replacing both bellows.
Tonight I primered the drive.
I used a small wire wheel on a dremel tool and it worked perfect for cleaning all the junk and peeling paint off of the drive!!! I scrubbed it down with 400grit and then washed thoroughly with purplepower and a scotchbrite.
Wiped the whole thing down with acetone....twice. Very thoroughly.
Taped things off and shot three light coats of Rustoleum Aluminum Primer.

Hmmm...i can't seem to upload previous attachments for some reason or I'd show ya'll some pics.

bshattuck87

Cadet

I LOVE the looks of your boat! Congrats on the project, keep it going! One day I'll own a 2450!

Brenton

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks Shattuck! Your 1950 is sharp looking also!

I put two coats of paint on the drive just now.....another two coming shortly.
I think its looking good!

painted drive.jpg

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Finished up paint on the drive...took off masking tape and such.
I think it turned out pretty good!
Waiting on all the parts for the drive...should be here Monday according to UPS.

Still open to ideas for the new dash panel.....Anyone use wood? I think wood might look nice...although I have no other wood trim aside from the stern rail (which I haven't built yet)lol
Using wood may be a pain in the but to refinish if needed tho.....hmmm
Open to suggestions...I'd like to get something done on that dash panel this weekend.

Here's a pic of the drive!
drivepaintjobcomplete.jpg

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Btw....all the bushings and gaskets are being replaced on the drive. I left all the old ones installed while painting to protect the surfaces behind them.

seacas

Cadet

Everything is looking great! I just purchased a 1986 2450 and plan to restore it. What did you use for paint on the outdrive? Where do you buy your parts?

Keep up the good work!

Shane

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I used Rustoleum Professional enamel.
along with Rustoleum Aluminum Primer
Prep is the key.
Dremel with a little wire brush worked great for cleaning up the drive.
Sand, scrub down, wipe with acetone thoroughly, and prime/paint.
They make ACTUAL outdrive paint, but I've heard others use the Rustoleum with great results.

If your referring to engine parts....I browse online.....go2marine.com marinepartsexpress.com ebasicpower.com are just a few of the sites.
Boatbandit.com is another one.

Got any pics of yours?
Which engine/drive?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

FYI You can use Valspar Acrylic Enamel Hardener in the Rustoleum Paint Works Great. Makes the paint dry faster and Harder.
You can get it at most Tractor Supply Stores or Online

519pLqykgFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks for the tip Wood!
I wish I would've used the hardener, the paint cures VERY slowly. I did the decking in the engine room with it and the hardener would have helped things greatly.
I gave it a week to cure, climbed down in to check out my shiny new engine room....dropped a screwdriver and wrench and put a big ol' gouge in my new paint. I cursed heavily a few times.
However, its been a month or more now and that stuff is hard as a rock. I can just imagine how tough it would be with the hardener!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, it makes a BIG difference. A little bit goes a long way 2oz per quart.

seacas

Cadet

I hope to have the boat by Tuesday left a deposit last Wed. Will post some pics once I get it. It has a 305 and was told by the owner that the drive is a 275. It has a new full camper top, newer dual axle trailer, Garmin gps and color fish finder and the interior is in excellent shape. The owner started it up with no problem. Got it for $2500 which seems to be a fairly good deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.