anyone tried this product yet ? bullfrog rivet system......

Status
Not open for further replies.

bassmanhb

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hi, just wondering if anyone has tried this product yet and if they have how well it worked and if its still holding up ? i was thinking about tearing out the floor of my boat to redo the rivets but this seems like a much better solution..... link below.

http://www.wolffsmarine.com/Bull_Frog.html

thanks in advance for any info about this product.

bass

bassmanhb

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: anyone tried this product yet ? bullfrog rivet system......

fishrdan,

thats what i thought also untill i did some searching and the heavy duty rivet tool is $70.00 by itself (and i need one anyway) and it has the sealant, rivets, marker and an extra boat plug in the kit.

and most places i have checked for the rivets have a minimum order ammount which brings the cost to about the same as this and i can get it all in 1 order instead of having to place several orders. (which will save on shipping costs to)

thats why i was hoping someone who has tried this would post so i know what is all in the kit and if its worth it or not....

bass

Tell ya what...

These boys need to learn how to shoot a video showing the customer how the product works. No close up, no detail, and after he installed the rivet...how do I know it didn't leak? At least put a girl in a bikini to keep my mind occupied while I wait on the slowpoke to drill a hole! And flip that danged boat upside down and show me some close up work, before and after, BEFORE I send you my money. If the video is amateur, the product probably is as well.

mercury713

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Aluminum rivets are not hard to squeeze.

I'm changing rivets on my boat their 3/16 using marine goop $9.99... 50 rivets 3$

I only have a cheap rivet gun that will do 4 sizes maybe worth 15$

there might be a better way tho.

andgott

Master Chief Petty Officer

I'd be willing to bet that they aren't showing you closeups and detailed instructions on how the thing 'works' because they know that if you see what you're REALLY getting for $150.00, you probably won't order it... Notice how they really don't show you exactly what's in the kit? Probably because you'd kick yourself if you paid that much for some 'oversized' rivets, a small tube of sealant, and a scotch-brite pad!

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer

closed end rivets some 5200 and the prep is basicly easy and most supplies are already on hand. i'm not saying the system is bad, they just put it together for you. price increases everytime someone touches it

wifisher

Chief Petty Officer

Maybe it is a good system. I don't know as I never used or heard of it. But why don't they show what it will do that any rivet gun will not. I don't see anything special about it. Seems odd that they are not showing what kind of sealant it has, or why it is better than any other rivets.

bassmanhb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

wolffmi,

its rather funny how you say you used to sell lunds and did repairs.... and the name of the place selling these kits is WOLFFS MARINE FROM MI. USA HENCE YOUR screen NAME ?????

but i have to agree with everyone after some research this product is WAY over priced for what you get....... thanks anyway.

bass

fishrdan

Admiral

^^^^^^^^

:D:D:rolleyes::rolleyes::facepalm::facepalm:

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

As Ricky Recardo said "somebodys got some splanning to do":redface::redface::redface:Something sure smells fishy,or sh@tty.Im no expert, but it seems to me you need to remove the many drilled out pieces somehow or they will cause problems later w clogged bilge pumps or drain plugs.Two posts, ill wait patiently for the third.but I think bassmanhb hit the nail/rivet on the head!!and maybe the system should be called the Bull$&@# rivet repair system:D

bassmanhb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hehe bet we dont hear from him again .....

a quick question tho.... does anyone know where to get closed end 1/4in aluminum rivets with ALUMINUM MANDRELS ???

all i can find is closed end 1/4in rivets with steel or stainless steel mandrels....... i guess if i have to use the steel ones i have to but would rather not in case of corosion.. will try rebucking the bad rivets first as i stated in another thread but would rather just replace with the closed end and be done with it for a few years....

bass

sschefer

Rear Admiral

hehe bet we dont hear from him again .....

a quick question tho.... does anyone know where to get closed end 1/4in aluminum rivets with ALUMINUM MANDRELS ???

all i can find is closed end 1/4in rivets with steel or stainless steel mandrels....... i guess if i have to use the steel ones i have to but would rather not in case of corosion.. will try rebucking the bad rivets first as i stated in another thread but would rather just replace with the closed end and be done with it for a few years....

bass

I used to get mine from Fastenal. Seriously, if you're not doing this for a living the kit has everything you need to get the job done. Is 150.00 too much? I don't think so, the cost is all in the rivet gun. I use a Pneumatic and a good one can run up to 500.00.

You are all correct, it is just 5200, closed end blind rivets and a rivet gun, you probably have the rest of the stuff in your shops already. As to the person that's wondering about the rivet piece ending up in the bilge... Don't worry about it, there's more currap in your bilge than that left over from manufacturing. Take one apart sometime, you'd be suprised what you find.

Personally, if I'd known about the kit when I was doing my last resto, I'd probably have bought one. Stripping a boat out and re-bucking rivets is not a job I want to do again anytime soon.

bassmanhb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

steve, thanks for the input.....

the only thing i see is i already have the pop rivet gun (harbor freight $19.95) drill bits and everything.... the rivets that come with the kit look like they also have steel mandrels which everyone says not to use because of possible corosion problems... so im at a loss as to what to use... if the steel mandrels arent a problem i can get 100 1/4 in closed end rivets for $19

bass

P.S. EZ didnt report it as not sure if it is the one and the same....

Last edited:

bassmanhb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

morning everyone,

well curiosity got the better of me and i went ahead and spent the $79. to see what the kit was and what was all included in it and if it was worth the money or not....

if for no other reason it may help someone else decide yes or no to it once they see the picture i will post once it gets here tomorrow....

so look for a close-up picture of the kit tomoorow once it gets here ;) .....

opening day of fishing is next saturday so i wont quite be ready with this beast so i will have to use my little old bass boat first this year :)

bass

bassmanhb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

DSC_0026 (800x532).jpg

well, here is the picture of the bullfrog rivet kit and what is all in it.....

it comes with the rivets, fast cure 5200 sealant ,a boat plug, center punch, 2 drill bits, a sharpie marker, scotch bright pads, alcohol pads, and a small foam trim paint brush and last but certanly not least a pair of safety glasses...... oh and the case it all comes with :)

is it worth $79 for 95% of the people out there ????? NO its over priced, as most already have everything thats included in it.

so here is the close up picture ....

Status
Not open for further replies.