1969 Starcraft Chieftain Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1969 Starcraft Chieftain Restoration

I am very familiar with that thread. I am always referencing it when I have any questions. As for the corrosion. I will be making a keyhole shaped plate approximately 2 inches bigger than the outdrive cutout and use countersunk rivets and sealant to secure it...

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

I was wondering how you were going to fix that

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

I hauled the old girl down to the carwash tonight. I know it doesent look much cleaner but I got allot of dirt out of the nooks and crannies. I spent a half an hour blasting the inside and outside the hull.

102_2856.jpg

102_2871.jpg

102_2866.jpg

102_2868.jpg

Before
DSC00390.jpg

After
102_2873.jpg

Notice any difference? I know I got allot of dirt out of there. I'm gonna have to use the wire wheel down the center and along the edges...

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Might have put some concrete remover on the outside before you did that could have blasted some of the armor off of her.

Bondo

Staff member

I'm gonna have to use the wire wheel down the center and along the edges...

Ayuh,... Use SSteel, not steel,.... 'n be Carefully, even a wirewheel can do some damage on aluminum....

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yah, I think if I were to hit the do over button I would have notch troweled on 5200 and ran stainless steel bolts through that nice big plate. The heat from the weld warped my transom skin a little. Course, it all flattened out when I bolted it to the transom boards so no biggie. Also, welds have an opportunity to break where 5200 certainly doesn't. I sure don't suspect that would ever happen there but something to think about anyway.

Or...

5200 plus weld as the weld does give it a nicer finished edge.

Either way I think you have a good plan there, just be sure it extends past your gimble housing but I am sure you thought of that.

Hey buddy, just a heads up - when you mention "tar"...

You'll probably notice some tar looking stuff at the very bow. I think most around here believe that is the sealant that Starcraft used at the factory, clean it but leave it be eh!

The rest of the staining in your hull is likely just that, staining from years of junk and such.

Rock on!:D

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

I started using the paint stripper again today and after 3 applications I uncovered this.
DSC00407.jpg

I guess Old Joe didnt like LORI anymore.

I applied a total of 6 coats of stripper and removing allot of paint each time but it still looks like this.
DSC00408.jpg

The starboard side of the transom has had 9 coats of stripper and its still not perfect.
DSC00409.jpg

I also uncovered this little guy under a bunch of paint.
DSC00412.jpg

Mt patch just got a little bigger.

I think I am going to have to resort in mechanically stripping this paint off. The stripper works great but the paint is just so thick.

Anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking maybe using a power washer with the sand blasting attachment...

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Bummer about the corrosion damage. It look like you got it thin enough at this point to just take it the rest of the way down with a random orbit sander.

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

Its still pretty thick in some areas. The original color of the boat has a very light yellow tint to it. When I get to that point it comes off but thats allot of stripper.

Getting this paint off is my #1 priority. I have to get the hull sealed up before I start anything else...

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Azlo tried it and warped a panel. I think it worked on bottom though

sprintst

Commander

The stripper and a 4 gpm pressure washer would probably do it. Mine was 2.5 gpm and it took multiple passes to get it. Sand or walnut shell blasting might make for more damage if you're not the one doing it.

It would be cool to lay down a large enough alum sheet and have someone to weld it up so that you can get the large corrosion holes and any smaller transducer holes, etc in one shot.

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

Ill keep plugging away with the stripper and scrape off as much paint as I can. I bought a couple of phenolic scrapers so as not to scratch up the aluminum and I still have 15+ gallons of CEE BEE aircraft stripper left. It has taken almost half of a gallon to get that much of the paint off the transom so far.

I am still having fun though. I love a challenge...

sprintst

Commander

The pour in foam removal on mine was the worst and the paint removal was close second. :)

I started bring a cooler of beer to work on it to make the time fly a bit faster

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

It might be worth your time to make a few phone calls to see about soda blasting. One of the fellas did that on his, it was done in no time, it came out beautiful, and if memory serves me the cost was reasonable.

Having a boat naked in a matter of hours so you can move on to other stuff sure is appealing!

fshngho

Lieutenant

Alpheus I thought my old Starchief was a pain to strip. Looks like you get the award for this aspect though. Would it be worth it to go with the blaster or sander on steroids? It looks like you will have to install an inner/outer skin anyway due to the corrosion so it is not like you should have to worry about blasting/sanding areas a little thin. Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and go do what you don't want to. You are trying to save metal that will have to be covered anyway, right?
Having said all that, yeah, I would be there with stripper, wire brush, scraper, and country music on the radio tellin myself " you're an idiot...but some day:D"

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

Im not covering the entire transom with new metal. Im just installing a patch. I will get this paint off, it will just take some time...

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

Well today is the first day that I did not work on my boat because I sold my SeaRay. I threw it up on Craigslist last night just to feel out if there would be any interest in it. I never thought I would have sold it this fast and for 200 dollars over my low price. I now have the funds and even more motivation to get the Chieftain finished.

I will miss that SeaRay. I have allot of blood sweat and tears getting that baby on the water. In a way it will always be with me, both mentally AND physically. I'm sure there is still some fiberglass buried deep in my pores that will never come out.

BYE,BYE SeaRay it was fun...

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Well, looks like you are a full on tin man now!:D

Good move!

Status
Not open for further replies.