1969 Starcraft Chieftain Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1969 Starcraft Chieftain Restoration

Here is a couple pics of the removed transom.
DSC00376.jpg

Amy grabbed the camera and snapped a pic of me...
DSC00380.jpg

Windows come out tomorrow then its off to the carwash...

sprintst

Commander

Sweet.

Looks like there is enough there to trace it out. I had to guess in spots as it was pretty rotten across the top.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

As tough as we men pretend to be sometimes a feminine touch is all that is needed. Like the last two bolts holding the air conditioner on my mitsu. Mama pulled them I was just the wrench retriever. Good to have help sometimes. Looks like it wanted to fight you a little. You are just flying on that deconstruction.

fshngho

Lieutenant

I swear to Jeebus every time I check in here you have done so much work I am ashamed of myself. If I was at your pace, I'd been done last month!:eek: Nice of Amy to lend a (petite) helping hand. She will take pride in the fact she helped too.
Let me guess, you cut & epoxied the transom last night, right?;)
Great work Alpheus. Very impressive.
Remember, I am close enough to come inspect your work, so no shortcuts. LOL:D

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Alpheus is working on this boat like it's his job :D

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

I started today taking out the 2 stringers because I was sick of tripping over them. I removed all the old hoses and fuel tank vent lines.I then swept all the crap in the boat into the center and scooped it all out by hand. (Very Nasty) I then took the shop-Vac and sucked up all the thick mud that was left. (ya it rained all day)
DSC00391.jpg

DSC00390.jpg

DSC00397.jpg

I think I found the perfect example to show just how thick the paint or whatever this stuff is that Joe Slathered all over the boat.

I was up on the roof sweeping off some leaves when the broom hit the anchor chain and it moved as one solid piece. I picked it up and it felt solid as if all the links have been welded together. Old Joe painted over the chain.
DSC00396.jpg

DSC00395.jpg

I am finally going o take the boat to the carwash tomorrow. I had to clean up around the boat and stack and organize all the removed parts. The only thing I have left to remove is the upper windshield and the plexiglass in front of the cabin, but I will leave the old stuff in for now to keep the rain and leaves at bay...

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I started today taking out the 2 stringers because I was sick of tripping over them.

Took me months to figure out I was sick of tripping over my stringers. You either read my thread and learned from my stupidity or are a smarter man than I buddy!

Good work today!

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

What the crud is on that chain concrete ?

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

I dont know. It has the texture of concrete...

magnumdeke

Chief Petty Officer

the paint on the chain is OMG impressive, I see chains that will stand on there own at work from stretch not PAINT WOWWWWWWW

Triton II

Commander

Wow Alpheus, what a worker! Good to see another big alloy-boat on the mend. Looking forward to seeing this one going from a tear-down to a build-up. :cool:

TII

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Took me months to figure out I was sick of tripping over my stringers. You either read my thread and learned from my stupidity or are a smarter man than I buddy!

Good work today!

They will also slice into your ankle if you happen to be stupid enough to do a resto wearing flip flops:eek:

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

Last night I was bored and because I was off the next day I decided to use my Hi-Zoot paint stripper on this thick paint to see how it is gonna work. I just did a small spot on the transom.

I applied the stripper with a paint brush and waited about 5 minutes.
DSC00399.jpg

DSC00400.jpg

DSC00401.jpg

I then applied a second coat and the original paint bubbled up immediately.
DSC00404.jpg

Its gonna take awhile to strip this baby,this paint is thick...

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Hey Joe...

Where you goin with that MOP in your hand..

I'm a gonna paint my boat..
See If I might sell it to another man...Some nother' man..

:D

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Thats funny I dont care who you are

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

Hey Joe...

Where you goin with that MOP in your hand..

I'm a gonna paint my boat..
See If I might sell it to another man...Some nother' man..

:D

LOL Thats pretty good...:D

Alpheus,

Looking good my friend! Keep up the great work.

I am really starting to take a shine to these tinnys...especially after messing with fiberglass boats. When I finsh my current project, I am definitely going to start looking for something similar to what you have here. I really like the little cuddy cabin design. :)

sprintst

Commander

Nice work on the SeaRay. I'm hoping my next boat won't be a whole do over but I wouldn't mind one that needs partial repairs if such a thing exists.

Hopefully the hull is perfectly preserved under all that paint. You'd be able to slam rocks and never get down to the hull with how thick he layed it on.

Take a look at Jaoutside's thread as he layed down an alum sheet around the outdrive operning to square away the corrosion issue. ...Correction as he did an OMC to Mercruiser swap but the welded plate idea is the same

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=369247&page=11

Status
Not open for further replies.