1988 Champion Boat restoration

concept10

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello everyone. I've been lurking around this forum for months trying to gain some knowledge about restoration and I just brought home a 1988 Champion 20' bass boat with a Evinrude 200 XP outboard.

I acquired this boat through a trade and no money has left my pocket so far, but I am in desperate need of advice on all levels.

First off the boat has a crack in the center of the hull and cracks around the engine mounting bracket at the transom.

What's the possibility of successfully repairing these? I have shown the pictures to a couple of boat guys in my area and they estimate $650-850 if they repair from the outside and up to $1000 if they have to cut a hole in the floor to access the crack.

My thinking now is to do this myself by removing the top cap and replacing the entire transom and the stringers along with repairing the crack.

I'm worried about the crack because after watching many videos on repairing fiberglass, I'm concerned if theres enough left on either side to adhere to.

Any advice and/or comments appreciated in advance!!

IMG_0157b.jpg

IMG_0218.jpg

IMG_0217.jpg

IMG_0199.jpg

IMG_0198.jpg

IMG_0187.jpg

concept10

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1988 Champion Boat restoration

I hope these pictures are not too huge. Sorry if they are.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yes you need to resize them to 640 x 480 You can do this using microsoft Paint or open a photobucket account or use my photo tip in my signature.

RobbyA

Petty Officer 1st Class

These large pics never mess with my computer like others, I am able to view them just fine. Someone explain to me why it is they have trouble viewing larger pics.

Hghvoltage

Seaman

Just from looking at the pictures I would say that boat hit something hard. Transom crack looks like the lower unit hit a log or rock maybe. I would pull the cap to do the repairs. I bet the plywood in the transom is broken on the top around the upper mounting holes so it will need replacing. Also Champions of that era are notorious for stress cracking the cap right at the corners of the consoles. It looks like a great project boat.

83ebbtide

Seaman Apprentice

Pop off the cap and see if there is any wood in the transom that is wet and soft. If so you will need to rebuild the transom. As for the hole in the bottom I would plan on it needing to be repaired from the top down. It looks like a good size hole. I'd say you have a decent project. Have you been able to check the motor yet?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Picture size has nothing to do with YOUR computer. It's all about how much storage space it is going to take on the iBoats server. That's why we recommend 640x480 in the jpeg format.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Picture size has nothing to do with YOUR computer. It's all about how much storage space it is going to take on the iBoats server. That's why we recommend 640x480 in the jpeg format.

Actually it's just that anything over 640x480 blows out the sides of the forum page and can be kind of annoying. The forum software already has pretty ridiculously small file-size restrictions (which is why most of us us photobucket) so storage size isn't the issue. Definitely check out the photobucket tutorial.

You've definitely got a complete gut and rebuilt project on your hands but it will be a real sharp boat when you're done. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

concept10

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Slow progress here, but I'm still on it. I have been primarily cleaning the boat, removing tons of dirt, leaves and sticks. Removed some carpet in the storage compartments and I have been trying to get a grip on the wiring.

I'm pretty much waiting on getting an engine hoist to remove the outboard before I remove the cap, which I have many questions on:

Do you guys re-use the old rub rail after removing the cap or replace it?

Should I fill the rivet holes or re-use them when i'm ready to put it back on? There seems to be no rhyme or reason to how there were done. I guess the top cap was riveted and then the rub rail was riveted on top of those. What's the best way to remove these? I been drilling the top off and then tapping them with a punch until they fall inside of the hull.

IMG_0264.jpg

Could anyone please point out what are all of these different drains on the back?

IMG_0240.jpg

What type of sealant is being used here (around the transom cap and the rub rail) ?
IMG_0266.jpg

Thanks in advance!

concept10

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Another update: I also attempted to install the lower unit and could only get it in so far. I purchased an online Seloc manual that wasn't any help. Anyone know what's holding me up here?

I suspect it must be the shift linkage. I had the throttle lever in neutral when I tried this.

IMG_0228.jpg

IMG_0229.jpg

Right now i'm just kind of relieved that it seems to be the correct replacement lower unit.

83ebbtide

Seaman Apprentice

Not sure what the rivets were used for other than holding the cap in place since the rub rail doesn't extend all the way around. never messed with the lower units. Did you try spinning the prop shaft to see if it would go ahead and seat? I used clear waterproof silicone on some of the rub rail and other areas as needed. Got it from local home improvement store. Might even find a colored silicone that will work.

Not sure how far you want to get into your project but I have seen some guys pull the entire top off the hull then go in and repair transom, stringers, etc. as needed. Lots more work but ypu don't have to worry about cutting into the back of the transom.

As for the holes. The lowest hole is the main drain I believe. That s the one that you plug before putting it in the water. The two other on the right probably feed your live wells while the the larger one on the left is probably hooked to an aerator for the live well(s). You could stick a water hose on them and see where the water goes to verify.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Silicone doesn't hold up well on boats. I'd use 3M 4200.

concept10

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Silicone doesn't hold up well on boats. I'd use 3M 4200.

Thanks for the suggestion on the 3M 4200. I am more worried about replacement parts and materials than anything else.

Yesterday was a very long day. I happened to wake up at 5:30 and since I have been spending much of my spare time thinking about the boat, I decided to go ahead and go fishing:

IMG_0281.jpg

Reminds me why I got the boat in the first place. Fishing hasn't been going that well from the old barge. As soon as the sun came up and the boats started coming out, the fish started feeding out of reach of my casts. The boats were pulling up and yanking the fish out of the water.

Came back home and decided to go ahead and pull the motor from the boat. Had to assemble the HF engine hoist first. What a pain.

IMG_0308.jpg

Wondering were I will get a replacement aluminum transom cap... it's broken in two:
IMG_0314.jpg

I will also need to replace this boot:

IMG_0247.jpg

All in all, a busy day. Worked out in this Texas sun. I have to switch to nights, can't take it. It will be cooling off down here next month, so I plan to get much done then.

- c10

83ebbtide

Seaman Apprentice

Don't know where you are in Texas but it finally cooled off in Dallas!

concept10

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm in Dallas, and yes I enjoyed the weather today, saw the temp and went fishing. Just left!

concept10

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Finally! Making some progress! I removed tons of rivets in preparation of removing the top cap. Was a real pain. Rivets on top of rivets. I got the bow lifted from the hull. I thought it would be easier, but it was glassed from the inside!

IMG_0356.jpg

IMG_0355.jpg

Check out all of these rivet holes. I have to figure out the best was to repair/close them up..
IMG_0354.jpg

Had to break away the glass from the consoles too:
IMG_0350.jpg

I still have a bit to go. There is foam inside the rear side areas and more glass in the transom area. It baffles me how this was glassed in.

My goal is to have the top cap loose from the hull this week and moved so I can get started with the rebuild. Whew!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Wow that looks like a real pain. At least having the cap off will make your other work easier.