Motor mount lag bolts pulled out!!! PICS ADDED

v8power

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Motor mount lag bolts pulled out!!!

yea, im planning on re glassing the box to the hull after i re epoxy it to the hull.. now the next question is, can I use the 105 epoxy on the glass mat/cloth or should I use something else? I will try to post some pics of the project later this evening... Ive used fiberglass repair kits on metal and wood before but I am still kind of new to doing repairs like this..

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

105 epoxy resin is used with fiberglass cloth the same way polyester resin id used. The best part is ...... working with epoxy gives far more working time but results in a stronger repair. Use it the same way you use a fiberglass kit but with one exception....

Be very careful to mix it to the proper ratio.

v8power

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yea, im gonna buy the pumps and all the stuff needed to do it right.. the original epoxy almost looks like bondo filler, its like a redish orange color and bondo like..anyways im going out to the garage now to take some pics...

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Had a slight mishap and the front motor mount bolts pulled up outta the stringers.. It didnt hurt the stringers at all just pulled the bolts out.. How would I go about repairing the bolt holes to hold bolts again?

Ummmmm......Exactly what sort of "slight mishap" causes the bolts that hold down 400+ lbs of motor to rip out of their mounts?

Inquiring minds want to know!

v8power

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, Im an idiot. Rather than scuff some vinyl on my stern I just figured i'd drive like I was towing a boat, and not put on the stern straps. Well, last weekend, I tried (again, Im an idiot) to avoid a big a** deer on the highway, and lost controll of the trailer and after about 5 or 6 times across 2 lanes of highway, the boat came off the trailer, the impact on the starboard side was great enough to break the transom plate and pull the lag screws and the port mount box loose. So, i learned the hard and heart breaking reason why stern straps are so important. Im just glad I tore up the boat only and didnt crash the car, or hurt anyone else besides my own pride. U can bet your a** that It will have stern straps next time if I have to put new eyelets below the swim deck on the stern.

v8power

Petty Officer 2nd Class

here are some pics...

Attachments

• DSC05572.jpg
    DSC05572.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC05570.jpg
    DSC05570.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 1