Mercruiser outdrive painting

roscottjr

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a mercruiser Alpha One outdrive that needs to be repainted. What are the factory specs and materials to use for this outdrive or what is acceptable to use?

Also, anyone who knows what materials can be used can you please also post a link to where I can get these materials?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mercruiser outdrive painting

Personally, I use a few coats of RustOlem gloss black.

If you go to the Mercury Marine/Mercruiser website, I think there is a section in the FAQs on painting them to specs.

Just checked Merc. here it is.

Is there a factory authorized repainting procedure for my sterndrive?
Yes, MerCruiser has a refinishing procedure available. For best results we recommend this procedure be performed professionally.

Refinishing procedure:

This procedure should be used in refinishing MerCruiser sterndrives and transom plates. This procedure will provide the most durable paint system available in the field. The listed materials should be purchased from a local DITZLER AUTOMOTIVE finish supply outlet. The minimum packaged quantity of each material shown is sufficient to refinish several sterndrives and transom assemblies.

1 QT. DX-533 Alumiprep #33 metal preparation
1 QT. DX-503 Alodine #1201 conversion coating
1 QT. DP-40 Non sanding Epoxy Primer zinc chromate primer
1 QT. DP-401 Catalyst for DP-40
1 QT. DAR-9000 Acrylic Enamel-black topcoat
1 Pt. DXR-80 Delthane Ultra-additive for acrylic enamel
1 QT. DTR-602 Acrylic Enamel Reducer-temperature range 70-90 degree F.

PROCEDURE:

1. Scuff sand to remove all blistered paint and roughen factory finish. Remove sanding dust.
2. Follow manufacturer's recommendations and instructions on the individual containers.
3. Apply DX-533 (Alumiprep #33) to clean and condition the aluminum.
4. Apply DX-503 (Alodine #1201) brush on chemical conversion coating for aluminum.
5. The DP-40 (Epoxy Chromate Primer) mixed with DP-401 Catalyst can now be applied. A .75 mil film build is recommended.
NOTE: Allow 30 minute induction period for permeation of the epoxy chromate primer and the catalyst prior to application.
6. The topcoat consists of DAR-9000 Acrylic Enamel Black and the DXR-80 Delthane Ultra additive, and DTR-602 Reducer. It is a polyurethane acrylic enamel system which provides fast drying, durability, high resistance to corrosion and good color and gloss retention.
7. The type of spray gun used will determine the proper reduction ratio IMPORTANT: DO NOT use any type of aerosol spray paints, as the paint will not properly adhere to the surface, nor will the coating be sufficiently thick to resist future paint blistering.
NOTE: DO NOT PAINT SACRIFICIAL ANODES.

NOTE: SeaCore models repair in the same fashion.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

That Merc FAQ sure makes the rattle can black sound so much faster and less expensive..:D

Prep is all the work.
Any bare metal areas after sanding i hit with a very light coat of Zinc Chromate primer.
Let that dry and hit it with gloss black.

I buy a commercial grade high solids gloss black in spray cans that look like it was a pro spray job when finished.
20 bucks a can but the best spray paint i ever used.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... I hit mine with a wire handbrush, scrubby pad, Blow it off,+ shoot it with plain ole Rustoeum rattlecan Black...
'bout once a year...

roscottjr

Petty Officer 1st Class

I guess Im going to use the rattlecan as I have had no luck finding the materials from anywhere..

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

They also look great done in any high quality automotive two part urethane (single stage)....

roscottjr

Petty Officer 1st Class

What about acrylic enamel? I can spray pretty good but have never had to buy the materials myself, someone else has always purchased them.

Where can I get this 2 part urethane from?

MTribe08

Senior Chief Petty Officer

That Merc FAQ sure makes the rattle can black sound so much faster and less expensive..:D

Prep is all the work.
Any bare metal areas after sanding i hit with a very light coat of Zinc Chromate primer.
Let that dry and hit it with gloss black.

I buy a commercial grade high solids gloss black in spray cans that look like it was a pro spray job when finished.
20 bucks a can but the best spray paint i ever used.

Gary,
Where do you get this stuff?

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

The numbers Don used are Ditzler products now owned by PPG.
Any body shop supply store that carries PPG products will/should carry Ditzler products.

JaseBosto

Petty Officer 1st Class

I wanna sandblast my lower end and then paint it. Any concerns?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Since this thread is all about cleaning, priming, and painting, going to move it over to the restoration forum where all the painters hang out.

JaseBosto

Petty Officer 1st Class

So uh...Anyone? Is there any concerns I should have in regards to sandblasting my Alpha gen 2 outdrive?

roscottjr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Gary that link does not work.

I guess I am going to just spray a clear coat on my boat and see how it does, I have several posts asking aout using acrylic urethane clear but have had no responses on any at all. Im not sure what is going on. I remember when you could post a thread in these forums and within 24 hours you got 10 to 15 responses or more, now its doing good to get a response.

roscottjr

Petty Officer 1st Class

So uh...Anyone? Is there any concerns I should have in regards to sandblasting my Alpha gen 2 outdrive?

I personally wouldnt go the sandblasting route. Sandblasting removes a degree of metal so Im sure it would remove alluminum too. I dont think it would remove enough to hurt anything but I wouldnt take the chance. If I were to go that route I would check into soda blasting. Same as sandblasting but they use baking soda instead. Soda blasting will remove all traces of paint and any oils that may be lingering around. I have seen it done a few times and think I may invest in a soda blaster. The job it does is just unbelievable..

seamorewaterVIP

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I personally wouldnt go the sandblasting route. Sandblasting removes a degree of metal so Im sure it would remove alluminum too. I dont think it would remove enough to hurt anything but I wouldnt take the chance. If I were to go that route I would check into soda blasting. Same as sandblasting but they use baking soda instead. Soda blasting will remove all traces of paint and any oils that may be lingering around. I have seen it done a few times and think I may invest in a soda blaster. The job it does is just unbelievable..

I will take it one step furter DO NOT sand blast alluminum it is too soft It will pit like crazy and you can actually blow holes in it. don't ask how I know that.;)

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you go to the Mercury Marine/Mercruiser website, I think there is a section in the FAQs on painting them to specs.
Canada has restricted the use of products with VOCs so we cannot purchase these Ditzler (PPG)products any longer. Does anyone know of alternate "earth friendly" products that will produce acceptable results?