transom and floor replacement

BobsGlasstream

Commander
Re: transom and floor replacement

SKIBUM1M,
Iboats sells some small kits of the two component foam. That great stuff in a can they sell at HD has no place in a boat.
They do sell the pink or blue sheets that you could cut down to fit.
I try very hard not to judge, I look at what other people are doing and use it and/ or try to improve it.
Your work looks good. :)
Where are you located at, if you don't mine me asking.
Bob

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

I am in Plattsburgh, NY just a 3 minit walt to lake Champlain and you? Now I understand on the pink foam and that will work perfect. I was thinking pour in foam but never even considdered that. Will get a sheet on friday after the christmass shopping. I have to fill both shoes since my wife is deployed with the National Guard which this boat is a great distraction from.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

SKIBUM1M,
Cool, Glad I could help.
I wanted to know your location because if you were close enough I could help out on the foam, but I'm in KY just south of Louisville. Just a little bit too far.

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the thought. I used to live in Nashville and was at Ft Campbell years ago. Louisville is a real nice area we still go by it when we go see the wife's family. I do envy your longer boating season. I can actually drive the boat to Canada in less than a half hour.

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

I just got done putting 2 and a half quarts of fiberglass on the boat.
IMG00028-20091125-2235.jpg

IMG00029-20091125-2235.jpg

IMG00031-20091125-2236.jpg

now I just have to install the plywood strips to screw the cap into and the carpet then I can put the cap back on

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Skibum, looks great! I finally got my thread caught up the seacast pour I did this summer. I was interested in how you did yours, mine was a little different approach. How did the foam board work? I used pour foam....should be posting that next, I could write a book on that stuff! Keep up the great work!

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

the foam board worked out great, I barely used any of it but needed to fill the void. I got the carpet in and the top is on the hull but raised high enough to rewire the boat which is next.
IMG00039-20091126-2258.jpg

IMG00040-20091126-2258.jpg

here is where the carpet is glued to the floor.
IMG00045-20091128-0002.jpg

IMG00046-20091128-0002.jpg

Here is the completed hull. Carpet is glued to the walls, new backing for the cap screws, and 4 gallons of fiberglass resin.

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

The cap has been sitting in my back yard for the last 2 months and now it is time to bring it in the garage. this is how you put a cap on a boat with one person.
IMG00068-20091128-1439.jpg

I raised the cap high enough to back the hull under it then backed the hull under it.
IMG00069-20091128-1439.jpg

http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu337/skibum1m/IMG00070-20091128-1440.jpg
I then lowered the front down and set it on a rolling shop seat.
IMG00071-20091128-1440.jpg

This is how I supported the rear of the cap.
IMG00072-20091128-1440.jpg

I then raised the back of the cap using the engine crane.
IMG00073-20091128-1447.jpg

and using the crane moved the cap into place. The front moved easily on the rolling stool.
IMG00073-20091128-1447.jpg

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Hey skibum, the carpet looks great! I'm envious! Are you redoing all of the wiring or just part of it? I have to start from scratch, so any tips you have would be great. By the way, was the cat your supervisor? My dog Buck likes to think he is in charge of anything complicated on my rebuild....lol! Keep up the good work!

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

I am completely rewiring the guages but most everything else is in good shape. I have an advantage since I have been a mechanic for 18 years and electrical is my specialty. As far as tips for you: get a pair of auto strippers (the kind you squeze and it clamps and strips the wire in one action), get a crimper that is specific for that purpose preferably one that has a point that goes into the side of the crimp. Use heat shrink connectors for everything. and solder and heat shrink never twist and tape wires. If you have any specific questions just ask

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Sounds like we are on the same page, I had planned on soldering the connections. I have had connection issue on past boats from corrosion. Are you using tinned wire or normal automotive wire? I can see the tinned wire in a boat that is used everyday, but I wonder if it is overkill for one only used on summer weekends? I need to work up a wiring diagram one of these weekends....

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

Automotive wire is fine as long as you use heat shrink connectors. I used to work for a shop that did car modifications for disabled people and automotive wire was fine there where some modifications were absolutely essential that they never fail and alot of the wiring was done outside or under the vehicle in salt and spray.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Thanks, I head the tinned stuff is pretty hard to work with. I'm looking forward to your updates....raining and 45 here today, sounds like a good day to spend in the shop working on the boat!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

By the way, where did you get the carpet? What weight is it? Did you have any trouble stretching it around curves in the hull? One of my friends used 3M spray glue to put his in, what did you use?

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

I just used outdoor carpet from lowes and glued it down with outdoor carpet adhesive. The adhesive specifically mentioned adraded fiberglass and marine use and has a 10 year guarentee. I used a j roller to push the carpet into the glue and I did have one wrinkle that just wouldnt lay doen right on the wall but most of it will be covered by the seat and cap.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Skibum I may take you up on that wiring offer....I haven't gotten that far yet! The boat looks great, can't wait for more updates!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

SKIBUM1M
I'll bet that cat helped. :D
It's amazing what you can do, when you don't have any choice.
Once again I must say it. Great Job man, It really looks great. :cool:
Keep it rolling.
Bob

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

I dont have any pics for today just doing wiring under the dash which is not much to see. I am adding a relay on the main wire to the dash, previously everything was constantly on and now everything except the power tilt clock and lights will turn off with the key. I will also have a switch that will kill the clock and lights. The other major problem I am trying to solve at this point is hiding the wiring and cables. Previously all of these were falling down the wall and looked like crap. I found they had straps screwed into blocks which had fallen out of the foam. I will be strapping them directly to the bolts that hold the trim to the side of the boat.

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

Ok I got the cap screwed on the hull. It appears it is a little stiffer and tighter that when I took it apart.
IMG00078-20091130-2233.jpg

IMG00079-20091130-2233.jpg

IMG00080-20091130-2234.jpg

IMG00082-20091130-2235.jpg

Here you can see the damaged lip that I have to repair but not much damage for as massive a job it was
IMG00081-20091130-2234.jpg

As you can see the gelcoat is oxidizedpretty bad. So now to figure out what to do about it. I am planning to remove all pinstriping tonight then sand it tomorrow and paint what is now brown, black. I have been trying to figure out a paintscheme for a while but since the gelcoat is good on the bottom I dont want to mess with it. And I dont want to paint below the waterline if the gelcoat is good. And I dont think painting the whole top would look right with white on bottom. so if anyone has any other Ideas I am open to them but you have a short time to convince me since paint will be spraying this week.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

SKIBUM1M,
I wouldn't get too aggressive with the sanding. I have been playing around with steel wool with a fine polish and the shine is coming back.
Mine had heavy oxidation too. I think with the steel wool and a buff with polish will bring it back nicely.
Bob