1975 Omega Restore, the project goes on.

thrillhouse700

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1975 Omega Restore, the project goes on.

HAHAHA Yeah we have been checking out interlux perfetion and the dupont stuff that goes along with the primer we got. Only thing is the Dupont is 1.5 times the price of interlux. But apparently you can color sand and buff it all you want, and its supposed to be super strong.

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

HAHAHA Yeah we have been checking out interlux perfetion and the dupont stuff that goes along with the primer we got. Only thing is the Dupont is 1.5 times the price of interlux. But apparently you can color sand and buff it all you want, and its supposed to be super strong.

I was just looking at the Dupont page, the Imron Marine coatings look like the same stuff I used to use on the chassis of my tractor trailers, great paint, tough as nails, but deadly as hell.
I used to get it pretty reasonable at a local place up in Albany new york called Passonno paints. They don't show it on their web site but they say they are a top ten distributor for Dupont High Performance Coatings. Don't know if it will be cheaper there and have it shipped. Might want to give them a shout.

thrillhouse700

Hmmm thanks for the reply. I'm in Cali and we always deal with the owner of the place. He is an extremely helpful guy. Don't know how his prices are as far as the Imron. I think he gave us the price of 200 for a gallon. Which from what im seeing is comparable with perfection. He also said he may be able to get the price down slightly. Either way he has great customer service and even gave me his cell phone number in case we had any questions while painting.

TojosMojo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just started reading your post, I'm glad to see you decided to save the old girl verses scraping her. Most of the projects on this site have been restored to better than factory specs with little regard to resale value as if you like the boat you probably have no intentions to sell it in the next 3-5 years anyway. By that time you will have gotten your moneys worth anyhow if you do decide to upgrade.

Plus you could go out and buy another boat that has similar problems but are so well hidden you would never know till you got it home and started going through it with core test etc.

I purchased my boat for the simple fact that I loved the style and uniqueness it provides, and it could be repaired to last at least 3-5 years with little cost compared to a newer much more expensive boat that will probably need the same amount of money put in it for repairs and upgrades.

Press on and show us your work, I especially would like to see how your gimbal bearing replacement goes if you decide to do it, as I have the same task to do in the spring. That Gimbal bearing replacement must be a trade secret because it is impossible to find any videos showing it being done. Also how easy or hard was it pulling the shift cable out when you removed the outdrive?

thrillhouse700

the shift cables came out through the transom hole.... If thats what your asking, we marked the threads of where it was, and unbolted it.

thrillhouse700

HOLY *#^& sanding down our primer debacle was awful. The guy that sold us this primer was not joking about how strong it is. It took 60 grit on our DA sander to knock it down to smooth again. We will thin the final coat by 15% to make sure it flows well. What a nightmare.

thrillhouse700

OK!!!!! So, after 5 days of sanding I give you............."ready for paint"

readyforpaint2.jpg

readyforpaint.jpg

All the white spots were patched in with more primer, the "whiteish" spots that you still see are translucent and still have a layer of primer on it. Sanded down the mountains of primer with 60grit, then 100, 150, 220, then hand sanded the entire thing with 320.

We are now waiting on the paint to arrive in the mail!

chrishayes

right on man! Aint nothin like painting a boat to make it look HUGE! Ok, maybe it just feels huge. Nice work. Im impressed with the fact that you didnt just say oh well and paint it anyhow, especially since you are planning to sell the thing! Mad respect!

thrillhouse700

We decided a while back we are not getting rid of it. That is why we kept going with the restore. Thanks for the kind words either way chris. We got a good amount of little work done today, Ill post pics when im more sober.

thrillhouse700

Well yesterday we got some little things taken care of. First, we finished shaping the transom hole, we are going to put that epoxy primer on it instead of glass, since we have some left and it really is strong as nails.

We built our new trailer bunks, cleaned up the bottom of the cap and started building new wood supports for the cap.

Here are the new bunks, HD outdoor carpet, and some 2x6's
newbunks.jpg

Chris cleaning up the bottom of the cap,
chriscleaningupthebottomofthecap.jpg

ChrisCleaningupcap.jpg

Here is the support that I rebuilt and patched, It has the notch cut in it for the steering cable to go through, We realized it was somewhat structural when we lifted the cap. The cap flexed in this area a lot and caused some more gelcoat cracks, YAY more stuff to fix.

Original support.
brokensupport.jpg

oops forgot to get a pic of the piece I cut out, anyways I cut out a section of the support that was cracked and falling apart and used it as a template, cut a new one and then put a 30" long board on the outside that I could PL down.
Newsupport1.jpg

Newsupport.jpg

thrillhouse700

Ok heres where I need more Iboat help!!!!
We had a mishap earlier on with a grinder that decided to turn its self on while in the "off" position. It fell onto one of our seat cushions......... These were recovered maybe 3 years ago, so this is real crappy.

3bowseats.jpg

Here is the damage....
choppedlseat.jpg

Oh and this is for HVAC, I built this especially to help you with any zombie invasion, I find its uses practical yet subtle.
Shotchete.jpg

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Hahaha, hey that works for me, you handle west coast
I got the east coast covered

100_8306.jpg

Some of my stress relief, When fighting Zombies, if I run out of ammo for my automatics (semi) I go cowboy on them with my 45-70 LOL

thrillhouse700

Is that a winchester 1886? That thing is awesome!! Nice AR too, here in cali there are too many gun laws.....

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Is that a winchester 1886? That thing is awesome!! Nice AR too, here in cali there are too many gun laws.....

its actually a Marlin 1895 GS (stainless steel) with Williams fiber optic peeps on it. I use that one for Bear
Thanks, The AR is my fun gun is actually a lefty Stag thats a 5.56 nato not like the ones that are only .223, this shoots either.
There are tons of gun laws hear too, I am buying up as much as possible before they are all illegal :D

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Sweet weapons THrillhouse and Hvac Bill

dont get us started on gun posts....we might all go postal! lol

Love weapons by the way

OMG THrillhouse...you are a maniac!
massive amount of work....very thorough.....good to see ya doing it right! regardless of the amount of work.....PROPS to ya!

Question...were you WET SANDING when you knocked it down (primer) some of those epoxy primers, such as House of Kolors and others...require it...otherwise they clog the sandpaper up...and they are a bear to cut through....wetsanding is way easier with those type primers! and starting with 60 grit is pretty heavy for primer...leaves too many deep scratches.....

makes ya wanna use the cheap hi build gray primer and sand it dry.....

what is the final color going to be? and you can use a sealer to do a coat before paint...it will stop bleed throughs of any repairs....chemical bleeds and discoloration.......youve been spending alot on your supplies I can tell...from your RUNNING out of money comment hahahah

Yesterday I stopped at my local Carquest...they sell automotive paints....Got JACKED for $300!!!!!! OUCH.....one gal single stage paint, 1pt hardener, 1qt reducer,some alodine, alumaprep and 1qt primer and hardner $300....
online coulda got it all for about $140.....and people wonder why thier companies are failing PRICE GOUGING! hahahahhah Ill be planning ahead and ordering...besides...no sales tax to boot (another 8% savings)

Suscribing to this thread...rock on!!!!!!!!! Huff and Doeback rap song Boats n hoes

thrillhouse700

The instructions we got with the paint said to sand until 220 or higher, did not mention wet sanding, we didnt have any problems with clogging at all tho. As for the 60 grit we used it to knock the very tips of the high spots off because the 100 grit would go dull after 2-3 passes.

I wont lie we did leave some scratches on the bottom but we are not too worried about that since it will never be seen, and more than likely be rubbed off on the trailer bunks over time haha.

Final color will be jet black on the hull only. The cap has old old blue metal flake around the edge but that will be gone. The cap we started to prep and that will be white so its not too hot. Ultimately when we can afford it we will get a black bimini. We have all white interior already, 2 rear jump seats and picked up 2 wise pedestal seats for the front. We decided against the loungers because we want more room for fishing. When we take it to the river or any lakes I doubt we will ever have 8 people on the boat......

AAAAAND Near the end of sanding I was about a millimeter away from ordering some of the crappy primer and just saying eff the epoxy stuff haha. We were both so fed up with sanding.

RICHARD5

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What a great thread! It's refreshing to see someone take the time to do it right.

I'm in CA too. Right now in SoCal. I remember gun racks and carrying a rifle down the street was no big deal. Grrrrrr

After I finish up the new deck and interior for my brother's jet boat I hope to start on my HydroSwift.

(Evidently my computer is having problems uploading pics.)

thrillhouse700

Sweet, can't wait to see pics of your boat. Also, its cool to have another cali guy in here. We are in HB

thrillhouse700

Oh can anyone comment on how to fix the vinyl on the seat?

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Hey Thrill..

DAMMMM..
You are a better man than I am..I woulda walked....You have kicked arse on this!!!!

Gotta tell ya..I've been in Florida for 7 years, but SoCal my whole life before that! Huntington is beautiful..I lived over on the San Pedro side...Hang a left at PCH..down Ocean blvd in LB and hit the Vincent Thomas bridge..lol

Keep at it..and before ya know it you'll be posting some kickarse vids of your own!