1975 Omega Restore, the project goes on.

thrillhouse700

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1975 Omega Rot, Don't know where to start.

Ok so next week we will do core samples on the transom, Im going to go ahead and assume its bad and needs replacement, So is it safe to assume that to get the transom out I have to remove the cap and then cut the fiberglass already covering the transom with a cut off wheel? is the wood usually glued or glassed to the outside, "finished" rear wall of the boat? Sorry for the questions and I know that once I get the thing out it will seem easier to me. In going through many transom threads I mostly come across outboard transom replacements and still cant quite visualize how Im gonna do this.

If I must pop the cap on the boat to do this I figured I would find the center point on the boat and drive a screw into the deck there, then measure from the tip of the bow, both stern corners and 3,6,9 feet up each side to the center point to ensure when it goes back together the hull does not flex much. Then brace the boat sides as best as possible with 2x2s at the rivet holes, leave the floor in and then cut out the transom. I will have to make large a frames out of 2x4s to rest the top cap on due to restraints on room. Anyways Im still thinking of an attack plan, let me know what you guys think if there is an easier way. After all your all vastly more experienced than I at this.

OK, sorry to say this, but you are throwing good money after bad to go very far with this. Everything you are talking about is hard work and very important to the safety of the boat.

This boat is not worth much in perfect condition. You need to calcuate what you will spend here versus buying a boat in good condition.

thrillhouse700

Well I have not really priced out the exterior grade plywood, or found a place that sells the fiberglass rolls. The thought of just ditching this thing has come up a couple times, I'm kind of having a hard time coming up with a good estimate of parts due to the fact this is the first time I have ever done this. At the same time, we aren't looking to resell this boat when we are done. This project wont be done for a long time, we are putting money into it when we have it and will prob be complete next summer.

The reason why I asked the questions I did is not to take short cuts or NOT have to replace the transom, its just that I don't know what is acceptable and what is not. Like I said Im trying to get prices down for everything.

thrillhouse700

Another thought I have, Either way we go about doing this the boat is a loss correct? Whos going to want to buy a boat thats half way torn up, if we finish no one will buy the boat for what we put into it.

its not a loss if you love the boat, for example my boat the particular hull model, I love. It doesn't have the cult following like bertram or mako. Doesn't make this hull bad, just mean the money i put into it i will most likely never see again. Sure i can go buy another boat that comes with its own headaches. I would rather rebuild this one so its completely solid , this way I know whats wrong and how to fix it when i'm 60 miles off shore.

ben2go

Chief Petty Officer

its not a loss if you love the boat, for example my boat the particular hull model, I love. It doesn't have the cult following like bertram or mako. Doesn't make this hull bad, just mean the money i put into it i will most likely never see again. Sure i can go buy another boat that comes with its own headaches. I would rather rebuild this one so its completely solid , this way I know whats wrong and how to fix it when i'm 60 miles off shore.

I agree.I have walked away from boats because of the unknowns.Alot of rebuilds are half azzed and dangerous.So when I buy a boat I plan for a complete tear out and rebuild.When I'm done,it's built back with my plans and options.I also know that the boat will not let me down or break up at 20+ knots.

thrillhouse700

ok we found CSM 70 yard roll for 130 bucks at a local place. Compared to fiberglasssite this is pretty good price? If we price it out cheaper than what we thought we will more than likely continue on.

thrillhouse700

Ok so an update. We decided to go along with the project. Here are some pic of the progress.

Cut out the rotted sides
Removingsideplatform.jpg

Removed the drive bracket and bell housing (correct me if thats not the proper term for it)
Drivebracketoutside.jpg

Drivebracketinside.jpg

Cut out the rear section of the deck and skinned the transom
Rearsectionofdeckcutout.jpg

Skinned transom
Rottentransom.jpg

Skillsawed to half depth on the transom then started chipping away.
Removingtransom2.jpg

Are we going about the transom removal correctly? We wanted to chip away as much as possible before removing the cap, because we dont have anywhere to put the cap. When we do the front portion of the boat the cap will have to be removed and put back on at the end of the night. We cant figure out any other way to do it.

thrillhouse700

While we were doing that the dogs were trying to dig under the house.

Puppiesdiggingunderhouse.jpg

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

Check US Composites as they have pretty good prices for fiberglass.

thrillhouse700

so when we put the new transom in should we fiberglass the side mating with the stern and then pl premium it down? or encase it in glass then pl premium it down then skin over it?

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

Is your transom still in?

thrillhouse700

nope transom is out and 2/3 of the deck, cap is still on until we put the new transom in then we will split the cap ( we have limited room to work with).
About half way done with the grinding. Biggest B*tch of the whole job so far is emptying the shop vac every 20 mins because the dust is so fine it clogs it up.

thrillhouse700

here is the method of choice for transom removal for us, then after that we used the scraper and then sanded down.

Removingtransomairhammer.jpg

Here it is naked, rear 2/3 of boat.
Nakedboat.jpg

Here is where we have come to a "thinking point" the tri-hull design leaves these "valleys" where water gets trapped. When we pulled the deck there was 35 year old water in there. Anyone have any ideas? We were thinking build a form and spray foam in there and then glass over it, not much room to build in some drainage.

Sidevalley2.jpg

another pic
Sidevalley.jpg

Im pretty sure these are just surface cracks of the left over resin that wasnt ground out.
transomcracks.jpg

We did get the transom out without popping the cap, we are going to pop the cap in a few days to finish removing the front of the deck, and redo some holes in the cap. We are going to build the transom and install it wait the 48 hours for it to dry then pop the cap. So, hopefully next weekend. Anyways thats our update, any advice is welcome as always and appreciated.

thrillhouse700

Re: 1975 Omega Restore, the project goes on.

Ok an update. I don't think anyone reads or follows my thread haha but it is a good place to keep my progress. Today we got the transom cut and two pieces laminated together.

TestFitTransom.jpg

Here the two pieces are laminated. One slightly bigger than the other so we can trim the angle tomorrow.
TransomLaminated.jpg

and beverages.
Beer.jpg

Last edited:

scrawnyronny

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Thrill, i'm following and enjoying the learning experience. As i am just learning i don't think i am qualified to make any suggestions on how you should handle the transom but sooner or later someone who knows will chime in. Thanks for sharing your project and keep it up. i, like many on iboats have become a pics junkie son keep on postin.

thrillhouse700

Sweet! I have a follower. Awesome I shall continue posting then. I feel better. I need to start taking more pictures, we get started then get so involved in it that I always forget. Thanks for the comment.

Free Bird

Cadet

Neat boat. Of course you have a following. 487 had read this thread when I just looked. We're all just shy. Keep taking pictures. You are going to coat that wood with epoxy all sides and edges after you cut the angles in it, right? I'm just guessing here based on reading other projects, no experience from doing it.

thrillhouse700

I am using poly resin. We are going to just encase the entire thing in fiber glass. Partially to get our transom thickness to the correct spec and to water proof it.