1974 21ft. Starcraft Super Sport Rebuild

Rickairmedic

Commander
Re: 1974 21ft. Starcraft Super Sport Rebuild

Kev your flight sounds like my drive back from Tampa 12 hour drive 17+ hours . You had a 2 hour flight that lasted what 9 hours :D. I am gonna go hide now I think I see Crown Vic headlights up the way :D:D.

Rick

Floyd M

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I almost forgot. You don't see the stringers in the picture of the hull because the rivets were almost all popped. I pulled the sringers out and will replace with new rivets before foam. This way it is also easier to clean the hull and apply gluvit.

Keith

Andy in NY

Commander

Good progress Keith! I thought about removing my stringers too in order to clean it better, but ultimatly decided that the rivets were in good shape and it would have been more trouble than it was worth.

Floyd M

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Allright everybody, I have a request. While on vacation in Hatteras I am going to be doing a parts acquisition via the internet, when my wife is not looking, since I will be no where near the boat. One thing in particular that I need is a bow cap. The original was destroyed and I have contacted Starcraft several times and have yet to get a response. Does anyone know where I may find one? Thanks in advance.

Keith

Rickairmedic

Commander

Keith shoot Brett ( wrfalpacas ) a PM he has a Holiday he has been grabbing parts off of and may be able to help you out with your needs :D.

Rick

Floyd M

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Rick, will do.

Keith

Floyd M

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Now wait a minute. I also am looking for bow rails. :D I especially like the ones on the Holiday over the ones originally on the SS. I like the full rail versus the two up front.

Keith

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Ask Rick about the black crown vicky that cruises his street real s l o w....

Rickairmedic

Commander

Danged door to door lightbulb salesmen :D:D. Ok I am going back to my sanding :D:D.

Rick

Floyd M

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am making my list for things I need to track down and order while on vacation. Does anyone know of a source for back to back lounge seats that have a base height of 12". Most I have been able to find are 10"?

Keith

Zeeter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am making my list for things I need to track down and order while on vacation. Does anyone know of a source for back to back lounge seats that have a base height of 12". Most I have been able to find are 10"?

Keith

Lower is better, in a boat. You can always build them up by adding some feet. iboats has a great selection.
Shipping is reasonable.

Floyd M

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Zeeter. The original seats had a 12" base and I am 6'6" tall with a tall wife and children. Just thought if I could find them it would be better than going with the 10". The sides on my SS are quite high as well.

Keith

Floyd M

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Started to take all of the bolts out of the transom today and RAIN, RAIN, RAIN. No more work will happen til after vacation so I think I am going into withdrawal. I am planning on picking up a lot of parts while away. I have a question on bilge pumps. I want to go back with two. Possibly a 500 and 1000. Has anyone done this and how do you place them? Also, do they both feed into the same outlet tube or is it better to put another outlet on the opposite side of the boat for the second?

Keith

Rickairmedic

Commander

Keith I understand the rain agrvation we had the same clouds over both of us all day started here about 1AM and didnt stop till right about dark tonight :(. I cant help you with the bilge pumps I have not gotten that far myself . I will say though carried over from my thread your boat will be a breeze to sand and paint . Yours is still in original paint so a basic scuffing of the whole boat and you will be ready for paint and the painting is the easy part . Mine had been painted over at some point in life and that layer was peeling and flaking so I am removing all of it . The worst part was sandblasting all the rivets yours wont need near s much prep it will be closer to Kevs scuff and start rolling :D.

Rick

Floyd M

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That is what I am hoping. My brother has a nice pole barn that I have conned him into letting me use, with his help of course, for the sand and paint process. Interestingly enough a good friend came by tonight, he is intrigued with the boat. He is buying an old landcruiser and was wondering how he was going to get her down to bare metal to work on and paint. I said" you know, if you want to go in on a media blaster from tractor supply I would do it with you".:D I think my job just got a lot bit easier. I will probably only use in on the rivets for the boat. I really need it for the trailer. While the boat is drying from paint, I plan on blasting the trailer and painting it.

Keith

Rickairmedic

Commander

Keith sounds like a pretty good deal there :D. I would recomend Black beauty for the trailer and walnut shells for the boat and landrover :D.

Rick

Floyd M

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the suggestion.

Keith

Floyd M

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a question for the masses. After about a year with a torn tendon in my arm I am back on the boat. I have replaced approx. 250 rivets with an aircraft rivet gun and am down to the knee brace. The question is wether to re-attach the knee brace with aluminum rivets or to use stainless steel bolts. The boat will be in fresh water most of the time with a couple trips a year to the bay and maybe Hatteras. It will be trailered the rest of the time. Any thoughts?

Floyd

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Pretty sure stainless bolts are considered acceptable. Glad your back on it.