1970 Jupiter V 16' Restoration

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral
Re: Starcraft club can I join ?

awww man..Dont ya hate having to fix stupid!

You have been busy bud!

Rickairmedic

Commander

Kev you gotta catch Ron White on Comedy central while your on the road ( Ya cant fix stupid ) :D. I figure I will either break down and get a bottle of straight Argon for my mig welder and a roll of aluinum wire ( ooooor simply get some closed end rivets and install them in the holes before I spread the Gluvit around inside. I would like to get the hull in paint this weekend but the 24 extra holes will have to be dealt with first :mad:. I am glad I didnt just accept it had a recent deck in it and pulled it out .

Rick

Rickairmedic

Commander

I would love to know though what kind of pure and simple minded idiot runs screws through the bottom of a boat hull from the outside into wood on the inside of the Bottom of the hull in an ALUMINUM boat.:(:eek::rolleyes:.

Rick

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Kev you gotta catch Ron White on Comedy central while your on the road ( Ya cant fix stupid ) :D. I figure I will either break down and get a bottle of straight Argon for my mig welder and a roll of aluinum wire ( ooooor simply get some closed end rivets and install them in the holes before I spread the Gluvit around inside. I would like to get the hull in paint this weekend but the 24 extra holes will have to be dealt with first :mad:. I am glad I didnt just accept it had a recent deck in it and pulled it out .

TATER?? Ya I catch him often! Here at home too, have newfangled thing called a dish that lets ya have 300 channels of nuthing..

Rick

I would love to know though what kind of pure and simple minded idiot runs screws through the bottom of a boat hull from the outside into wood on the inside of the Bottom of the hull :(:eek::rolleyes:.

Rick

Man..I wnt to go to his house and drill some stringers onto the hood of his car!

Rickairmedic

Commander

LOL Kev I had the Dish and it was great as long as there wasnt a cloud in the sky :D. I have cable with 300 channels of nothing :D. SWMBO thinks I am nuts cause I have all the channels and generally watch about 5 of them ( diy, tlc, Discovery , Hgtv my religeous programing The weather channel :D and Speed. I would love it if a cable or satalite company would let you pick the channels you want and only charge you for them :D.

Rick

Andy in NY

Commander

Well I am going to do my deck with 3/4 ply and of course spend a few bucks on a can of gluvit...... I figure I would rather do it now while I have that option.

I did get a great source of closed cell foam from a local company called Pregis..... I got a few samples and the stuff is polypropylene closed cell.... gas, oil, or water do not harm this stuff. I intend on supplementing the styrofoam under the deck and use this stuff under the bow deck and under the side rails.

If you polish the sides you will need to use sharkhyde to keep it looking good.

at this moment i wish i did 3/4", deck seems a little flimsy. i dunno, maybe that will change once its all glassed.

LOL Kev I had the Dish and it was great as long as there wasnt a cloud in the sky :D. I have cable with 300 channels of nothing :D. SWMBO thinks I am nuts cause I have all the channels and generally watch about 5 of them ( diy, tlc, Discovery , Hgtv my religeous programing The weather channel :D and Speed. I would love it if a cable or satalite company would let you pick the channels you want and only charge you for them :D.

Rick

I wish they would let you do the same. We have dish and actually just have an HD package now. Get all the channels i watch, without the crap. $39.99 a month includes dvr. the only channel i miss is TruTV.

Anyhow, I hop you don't plan to beat me to the water rick... I don't want to have to lay the smackdown on you...

Rickairmedic

Commander

LOL Andy I own an HVAC company and its Summer I wouldnt worry to much about me beating you to the water . Yesterday was the first time I have had a chance to do much of anything with the Starcraft since I got her home other than take pictures and stare at her through the garage screen door in the dark LOL. I did get alot done yesterday considering I also helped SWMBO with her pond and also helped a neighbor replace the HVAC system in his car . I did all the gutting yesterday other than pulling out the interior panels which I did the day before . Hopefully today I will be able to hit Fastenall and get the rivits I need to fill all the dang holes in the bottom of the hull so I can get the Gluvit in . Then I still need to build an engine stand ,get her off the trailer and flipped over so I can finish stripping the lower hull , paint the lower hull let her dry a few days and flip her back onto the trailer . Then theres putting the deck back in , painting the topside , reinstalling everything thats been removed , rewire everything , apply the vinyl to the deck and reinstall the interior aaaaaaaaaaand also replace all the cables LOL.

Rick

Andy in NY

Commander

LOL Andy I own an HVAC company and its Summer I wouldnt worry to much about me beating you to the water . Yesterday was the first time I have had a chance to do much of anything with the Starcraft since I got her home other than take pictures and stare at her through the garage screen door in the dark LOL. I did get alot done yesterday considering I also helped SWMBO with her pond and also helped a neighbor replace the HVAC system in his car . I did all the gutting yesterday other than pulling out the interior panels which I did the day before . Hopefully today I will be able to hit Fastenall and get the rivits I need to fill all the dang holes in the bottom of the hull so I can get the Gluvit in . Then I still need to build an engine stand ,get her off the trailer and flipped over so I can finish stripping the lower hull , paint the lower hull let her dry a few days and flip her back onto the trailer . Then theres putting the deck back in , painting the topside , reinstalling everything thats been removed , rewire everything , apply the vinyl to the deck and reinstall the interior aaaaaaaaaaand also replace all the cables LOL.

Rick

easy, half a days work... tops... ;)

Rickairmedic

Commander

Ok I am taking one of the HULL SCREWS with me today to try to match up at fastenal with a closed end rivit . I figure I can flip her this weekend finish stripping the outer hull put the rivits in all the dang holes prime and paint then flip her back onto the trailer gluvit and then start putting the deck back in.

Rick

Andy in NY

Commander

So is this your official resto thread?

Rickairmedic

Commander

Andy I thought about starting another thread for the resto but figured I already had this one going so yep this is my official resto thread :D.

Rick

North Beach

Commander

Ric, at this point I'm amazed! I'm danged glad I didn't have any of those special stringers installed in my boat:eek: Most have been an option on the later models:D

Rickairmedic

Commander

LOL NB I am pretty sure the ( special stringers ) were an aftermarket item only available to idiots and not actually sold to boaters with half a clue :eek:.

Rick

Rickairmedic

Commander

Ok heres our mostly wet weekend update . I managed to get all the rubrail off the boat . Then I went ahead and got the zinc chromate on one side .

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34681559@N05/3692168320/in/set-72157619620799615/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34681559@N05/3692168362/in/set-72157619620799615/

I didnt take primer pictures but theres 4 coats of primer and 2 coats of this :D:D:D.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34681559@N05/3691363133/in/set-72157619620799615/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34681559@N05/3691363173/in/set-72157619620799615/

She will end up white on top and bottom and red on the sides and the interior will have the same basic layout only with gray spatterpaint in the side compartments and a platinum vinyl on the deck :D:D.

Rick

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Rick how did you strip your paint?

Rickairmedic

Commander

Bob most of the paint was stripped before I got her with walnut sheels and a blaster like NB did . I still have to strip the bottom but I was go9n nuts with all the bare aluminum :D. I may not fully strip the bottom depending on what condition the paint is in . Your paint looks original and in pretty good shape so I would just scuff her up real good and roll and tip and roll and tip and roll and tip :D:D. Oh yeah wipe her down real good with acetone first .

Rick

North Beach

Commander

Lookin Good Rick! BTW, on the dead bottom, I left most of the old paint on. I just couldn't get the boat high enough with the engine hoist in the stern to get enough leverage and the bottom is way too busy with all those rivets and the danged multiple keels:eek: So I just hit it good with the orbital sander and went at it with the ZC, primer, and paint.

Rickairmedic

Commander

NB thats good to hear . I did find something today as I was prepping for paint that kinda threw me back near the transom on both sides are 3 tiny little holes on both sides :eek: . I know and all this time I thought my boat came with stickers :D sooooooooooooo how many sets of emblems ya got left :D:D.

Rick

Rickairmedic

Commander

Todays progress ordered 250 rivets to fill the 24 extra holes in my hull:mad:. That was the smallest special order I could do and that was through Grainger Fastenall wouldnt do an order smaller than 500 :eek:. They should be in Wednesday and hopefully I will have more paint progress before they get here :D.

Rick

Rickairmedic

Commander

Well I pickd up my rivets today so hopefully before I run off to Fla I can get all the extra ( aftermarket ) stringer holes filled and be ready to paint the bottom of the hull :D.

Rick