painting aluminum boat?

cpr1717

Recruit
hi i was gonna paint my 16 ft deep v aluminum boat. and im not shure where to start, the paint on there is in pretty good shape so could i just paint over it. and if so do i need to prime it and sand???
thanks

JimMachinery

Seaman Apprentice
Re: painting aluminum boat?

If the paint is holding well, you should be O.K. just spot-priming any bare metal with zinc oxide self etching primer and scuff sanding the existing paint for adhesion. I read a lot of posts and it seems to me most people like one component paints like Petit Easypoxy for aluminum boats. I used it on the bottom of my hull and was very happy with the result. Are you planning on spraying or using the roll-n-tip method?

Good luck,

Jim

drewpster

Commander

It depends on the paint you are going to use. Generally it is best to do a good cleaning (denatured alcohol or lacquer thinner works well), then sand the surface lightly with a fine grit to a haze. Then clean it again to remove sanding residue. This will provide a good bond for the new paint.

Every paint has its own procedure so be sure to follow instructions.

Kyshorthair

Recruit

On my 91 Alumacraft mod v I did a light sanding on the original paint and used Parkers Duck boat paint and it has held up really nice. I brushed and rolled it on. Looks pretty good to me. Its an oil base paint that is designed for boats. I thought it went on really smooth. It only took less than a half gallon for my 15 foot boat, inside and out. I've got plenty left for touching up the nicks and such that happen with river fishing. I'd wait until you have some good warm and dry conditions to paint in. Good luck.