How many layers of fiberglass

jerazo

Recruit
Hi all...

First of all, nice site you have here guys...

Second, my name is Jimmy i'm from Ecuador, my friend and me were looking in our country good kayaks for fishing ( I know this is not a kayak site, but we need a lit help thou)... Here there is not the kind of sot kayak we are looking for, and import one is reaaaaaallllly expensive... so after a few research we went for the crazy idea of build one, each of us made our own plug with wood, and we are on the process of making the mold, so far I see my plug really nice and sleek (really considering to build 2 or 3 for family and friend)... so finally here is my question hope some good soul could give me an answer...

How many layers of woven fiberglass do I have to aply to make a safe hull and deck of the kayak??, the kayak is a 4.3 mt long, 0.80 mt beam, 20 cm height... is a SOT, i think the deck will be done with mat... here there is not much to choose about glass, the woven roven think is about 24-30 oz, and we cannot find epoxy resin, so we have to go for the poliester...

thanks

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander
Re: How many layers of fiberglass

Hi and welcome to the forum. I think you'll find polyester resin is just as easy to work with as epoxy, and just as good in the end. The most difficult part is just dealing with the stickyness of it all. Technically you could get away with just one layer of woven roving between multiple layers of mat, but I would suggest at least 3-4 layers of roving with mat between each for a good solid kayak. Although, to be honest, I don't know that much about kayaking and it may be better in kayaking to have a thiner more flexible hull than a thick strong hull. Someone else may be better equipped to answer that.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Depending on how you plan to use it the thickness may vary.

A hull can be made from 1 layer of 1.5 oz mat and one layer of 24 oz roving, places that need more strength, like around where you will be sitting, or along the keel, can get an extra layer or two. If you think you will be using them hard (white water in rivers, or in the surf), then you can increase the layup. The design of the hull and deck will also need to be taken into account. If the contours are rounded, the shell will be much stronger than if there are large flat areas with sharper corners.

Most kayaks also use foam blocks inside for more support and floatation, these blocks are wedged in so they are somewhat supporting the deck. This can help to keep the kayak from folding up and trapping a persons legs inside.

jerazo

Recruit

Hi

Thanks for the answer, I forgot to tell you, that the desing was made thinking in a sea kayak mostly for hard fishing, will bear waves and the surf in the return.

I am going to fill with 2part foam in the inside of the hull in some areas, bow, under seat, and inside what is suposed to be the transom...

I have no posted pictures of the entire project, but in the next link you can see how dificult is the seat going to be, I think that seat will be done just with mat, dont know how many layers yet...:(
http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/projectTut,p,438,00.html

Thanks

jerazo

Recruit

ah.. maybe part of the plug of the yak can be seen in this picture... at this moment the plug has already inserted the seat made of fiberglass but have not taken pictures yet...

Attachments

• DSCF7202.JPG
    DSCF7202.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF7203.JPG
    DSCF7203.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:

oops!

Supreme Mariner

welcome to i boats....!!!!

i dont know much about kayaks......

but i do know about business.....

and that looks like the humble beginnings of a company.....

if you have fun on the project....investigate the demand for your kayak...

you will know by the amount of people asking you about it....

you might just have somthing there......

hats off to you for even trying to make one!!! :)

cheers

oops

jerazo

Recruit

hi oops!

I tell you that I already have a person interested in one copy of the "brutus" how I call that baby kayak... I really began this as a fun project for my spare time and I really enjoy it, but who knows later...

Thanks