I found a spot that needs repair.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: I found a spot that needs repair.

fiberglass or aluminum hull? can't tell.

TheWoodCrafter

Chief Petty Officer

That is a fiberglass hull.
The rotted area, after I cleaned it out, is about 8" in diameter, roughly.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Do yourself a favor and take a plastic mallet and tap all over the transom. A thud sound indicates rot and a rap sound indicates good wood. Often what you think is a small 8" circle will turn out to be the complete transom, floor and stringers. Best to be sure of what you are draling with before you start.

TheWoodCrafter

Chief Petty Officer

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Do a search on anti freeze.

TheWoodCrafter

Chief Petty Officer

I live in Southern California, what do I need with anti freeze?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Well automotive coolant (aka anti-freeze.... the green stuff) helps prevent wood rot. Search for it on google as antifreeze wood rot and read the articles.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Wood rot is caused by a fungus. It will continue to spread until removed or killed. Anti freeze kills fungus. One of the articles you may find is by a guy who used anti freeze to kill the fungus in his toe nails.

Robj

Lieutenant

My guess is that the rot expands past the area that you dug out, except the wood has only partially degraded. I would dig a little further. I am a big fan of replacing wood rather than using Seacast. If the area that you are repairing is not solid, you are just wasting your time. Also I must admit that I have never used the stuff so my opion is a little biased. But if you use wood, you know you can't go wrong. Just my $0.02.

Have a great day,

Rob.

TheWoodCrafter

Chief Petty Officer

I plan on taking a die grinder and work the area around the rot until I'm sure I have solid wood.
Seacast to supposed to be harder and stronger than wood. I have never used it. We will see.
On the Seacast website they show how to replace all the wood in a transom. I like the idea of not having any wood to ever rot in a boat.

As for fungus, I don't think it will grow without water or air. I plan on flooding the area with resin while replacing the fiberglass skin. The resin runs like water so it should fill any void.

Robj

Lieutenant

My concern was where the Seacast joins the wood. I do not see how it will be as strong as the original.

Have a great day,

Rob.

TheWoodCrafter

Chief Petty Officer

The area around the hole is pretty chewed up from the die grinder so I hope the bond will be very stong. Then filled with resin and sandwiched with fiberglass I think it should be strong enough, I hope.

cc67

Petty Officer 1st Class

Check out rotdoctor.com. He has some good products and a lot of information on this subject. I had to deal with some wood rot when I redid my 67 Chris Craft.