A Little Glassing Info Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thompy_04

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok here's the case. I got ahold of my fathers 1978 Bayliner Santiago 2200, and it hasn't been used since 1997. I took a little look found the floor to be a little soft in a couple spots ripped it all out, completely and started rebuilding the stringers/deck componets. I have all the deck and stringers mocked up ready to be epoxied and glassed in. The transom was fine, as I have seen previous threads and checked that as well. Someone had done a resoration on this boat before my father picked it up, but he picked this boat up used in 1988 from my grandfathers boat shop and by the looks of the work they did use alot of glass but neglected a couple of areas and they boat was left uncovered.

My question is when I get ready to apply epoxy what type of epoxy should I use to coat the wood, how long do I let it set, and what type of glass should I use to mate it all together? I know there are many types of fiberglass, mat, chopped strands, etc. but I'm clueless on what to do here, never worked with fiberglass before. Since I haven't worked with fiberglass or epoxy resin, whats a good temperature to work at? I'm in southern Ohio and have no way to use a heated garage. I'm concerned about flotation as well, I did take out some foam just not as much as thought was going to be there. Whats a general rule for pouring expandable foam? Is there a trick to not "blow out" my work?

Sorry so long but I think thats the extent of my questions, thanks in advance.

Last edited:

JJB

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: A Little Glassing Info Please

I used us composites epoxy is from florida http://www.uscomposites.com/ and progressive epoxy from NH . Both are great companys with good pricing . I believe progressive has cold weather types of epoxys if needed and great support via e-mail. progressive is at http://www.epoxyproducts.com/ . UScomposites has a good slection of epoxy type fiberglass that you need to use . I used 1708 biaxial with mat for my transom repair and stringers . Check out both !

Status
Not open for further replies.