fuel tank leaking

bluewater95

Recruit
hello,

i have a 95 blue water monte carlo 20'. my problem is that my gas tank is leaking and leaking into my storage compartment where my anchor goes. i have a aluminum tank which is rusted on the bottom. my question is how do i get the tank out and put a new one in? when i open the engine lid, i can see the a small section of the tank and the hoses are connected on top of the tank. i have a mercruiser i/o, and do i need to pull it out then the tank or do i have to cut my floor and pull it out that way leaving the engine in?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: fuel tank leaking

Moving to the Boat Restoration and Building forum.

tashasdaddy

time to remove some deck and replace tank. you currently have a very big bomb.

D

DJ

Bluewater,

You have some surgery in front of you.

Cutting up the deck is not fun. On the other hand, it's done every day. You need to cut up the deck, with a circular saw, set shallow. Once done, you can remove the tank.

Finding a new tank is easy, there are numerous designs/sizes available here on iboats.

Once the new tank, is in place, use some fiberglass mat and epoxy to restore your deck. If done right, noone will ever know.

bluewater95

Recruit

ok, so i need to cut my floor out, my engine can stay in then correct? thanks for the info

Be real careful using any power tool near gas fumes. Drain the tank and cover it with a wet blanket to control the fumes if they are bad.

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

Whatever you do, don't try to weld a patch over the leaking tank, especially if the tank is full. :D

Sorry about that, just thought you could use some humor right about now.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

if your going to repair the tank once youve got it out. hot tank it!
radiator shops do that kind of stuff. if you are a cheep bas***d like me, i use muriatic acid to clean out the tank.....all rust is gone....immeadately.

i repaired my gas tank three years ago that way and its fine....however...
in refitting my boat compleatly and am going to replace the tank this year.

i remember seeing a post here about gas tanks rusting cause condensation....theres your answer!

cheers
oops

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

I have to wonder how long it takes to rust through aluminum though. That's a very corrosion-resistant metal (I think 8-18 stainless steel and titanium are the only things more resistant, aren't they?)

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hey blue water!
jist noticed......
welcome to i boats!

cheers

tashasdaddy

aluminum tanks, don't like salt water, especially in the bilge.

bluewater95

Recruit

hi all,

yeah i think im just gonna put a brand new one in, id rather have it new then repairing it, knowing my luck the welder would leave a pin hole. i now know the importance of washing EVERYTHING down after each trip on the water. espicially here in hawaii, ALL SALT!!! none of that freshwater you lucky guys have on the mainland. thanks again! by the way i love this site!!! great people to help and find info, let alone buying new parts like a gas tank haha.
aloha