Teak Wood?

chucky112233

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all. I recently got a 1980 sea ray 245 DA craft and the swim platform looks horrible. I do believe it is teak. I have done lots of reading on posts and now have some ideas but i still have a question.. The platform looks like the stain or vanish has flaked off and it has a clear coating on it..Parts of it are bare wood,some have this clear coating on it and some have a stain on it.. Do i sand it completely down to bare wood then apply teak oil? Does anybody recomment a clear coat to be put on? I have worked with wood before just not teak or marine grade stuff... There is a fair amount of wood on this boat,boat is in nice shape but the platform makes it looks really really poor,,thanks

D

DJ

Re: Teak Wood?

You have two choices.

Sand, sand, sand, and sand and get it back to original. Once done:

1. Coat it with Teak oil from Star Bright, available here, on iboats.

2. Recoat with a good spar/marine varnish.

#1 will be an annual thing. It's not that hard once you have a good finish.

#2 is about an every other year proposition.

If it were me, I'd go with #1. Easy and no chance of peel or discoloration of the finish. It's a high maintenance item. Welcome to "wood" on boats. Beautiful if maintained, ugly, if not.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

ditto

teak is a beauuuteful wood but.....

cheers and happy sanding

chucky112233

Seaman Apprentice

guess i got alot of sanding to do! I think i will take that approch,i do have time over winter to remove it from the boat and take it to a warmer place to work on it,,i love the look of it but like all things in life,nothing good comes easy!! thanks again!!

oops!

Supreme Mariner

if your careful with a dremmel or router. in between the drain surfaces. it mat save you some time

good luck

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

After sanding keep putting oil on it,as many coats as you can.It keeps soaking in and looks better and better.;)

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I recently just finished restoring an older boat with plenty of teak on it, but I didnt go the teak oil route, didnt turn out quite dark enough for me since the wood was older and needed a complete restoration. This technique was taught to me by an old master shipwright. Your wood will turn out beautiful if you follow these steps, its time consuming but worth it!

1. Sand with desired grit (depending on condition of wood) then final sand with 220 grit paper. Wipe with cloth.

2. Wipe with cloth dampened with Acetone.

3. Apply varnish 50/50 mixture with varnish thinner.

4. Wait 3 days to dry -DO NOT SAND!

5. Apply straight varnish

6. Wait 3 days to dry-sand VERY LIGHTLY note: if gummy balls form-STOP-varnish is not dry. Wait another day.

7. Sand very lightly-wipe powder with cloth.

8. Apply another coat of varnish

9. Sand very lightly-wipe down with ACETONE

10. Apply final varnish 50/50 mixture

Put remaining varnish into one or more smaller jars with tight fitting lids

NEVER PUT YOUR BRUSH INTO THE CAN OF VARNISH-POUR VARNISH INTO WIDE MOUTH GLASS JAR WHEN APPLYING.

The varnish and thinner I prefer are Epifanes Clear Varnish and Epifanes Brush Thinner, but if you go to your local sailboat /yacht store, they will have a suitable replacement. Note: You will not be able to get the correct varnish / and or thinner at your local hardware store/canadian tire/home depot. Go to your local sailboat store. Hope this helps you all, Happy Boating!!

I would post the results of my labour, but the boat is winterized and buried under 10 000 feet of snow right now ;)

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Yea HT i had that problem with the oil being to light in color.It was the West Marine brand.I ended up ordering the Starbrite Golden teak oil.Much darker and better results.It was a thicker oil also.
I may try the varnish method if it dulls out again.I usually wipe it down with a little oil every couple of months.It takes about 15 minutes and has been doing great.
The key to any method is sanding it down good first.