Flotation - Combining Foam and Bouncy Balls

Jim Hawkins

Chief Petty Officer
The boat is a Nautico catamaran and the deck is spongy and needing replacement. BUT the main reason I want to redo flotation is that this boat sits in the canal and every time we get a heavy rain I worry about the bilges and whether the boat will be floating when I get back to it.

The twin hulls are not completely filled with foam and as is common with some old cats they fill with water. Down inside each hull is a bilge pump and a third one on top of the deck. I want to redo the deck to eliminate the plywood, fill the hulls with high density foam, use one topside bilge and glass directly on top of the foam. I glassed on top of foam on another boat 10+ years ago and it's holding up great.

My plan is to cut down on the amount of foam I will need by filling each cavity with those nearly indestructible bounce house balls and then let the foam fill the voids around them.

The boats in the following pics are not mine but stuff I pulled off the net, perhaps even from someone in this forum.

The boat with the empty hull is identical to my cat. So, anybody done anything like this?

Attachments

• photo322210.jpg
    photo322210.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 1
  • photo322211.jpg
    photo322211.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 1
  • photo322212.jpg
    photo322212.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 1

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
To begin I'm not sure how you would calculate the flotation value of the balls, volume, longevity, weight.
I doubt your balls will maintain air/buoyancy for 3+ years. JMHO Good luck.

Jim Hawkins

Chief Petty Officer
Figuring the volume of foam needed is just a couple simple geometry equations. Count the number of balls in a void and then figure their volume and subtract from the volume of the cavity. The balls are very strong that's the point of using them instead of empty water bottles or other things people sometimes use.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Volume is a simple recipe to calc. Any how this same question comes up every year or so. Try searching thru archives on the search engine Iboats has.

Jim Hawkins

Chief Petty Officer
I did try searching, I found people using odd things for flotation and people using foam but not together.
The balls are considered "crush proof" and the ones I've seen are very tough. Why do you think they won't hold up?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Comes down to math:

W 3in balls, you'd 'need' 64 to 'fill' a cubic foot

Does a cubic foot of balls offer more then 60lbs of flotation or wiegh less then 2lbs, and cost less then 1cubic foot of flotation foam?

In a cavity well filled w roind balls, will flotation foam even flow well into a labyrinth of voids to adequately then fill the cavity?

In a sealed compartment, will balls expand and contract w bot/cold cycles? Expand and contract enough to be a problem?

Since they are intended to be used in a dry environment, are they actually sealed balls? Seems I've held some that had a hole in them just smaller then 1/8in. I know I've held some that had a weld seam all the way around them, so they'd been made in 2halfs and seamed together. Hit/cold cycle split them?

How do you plan to ensure both:

Balls are well encased and cavities well filled w foam
Keep balls from moving while you are foam an area

Seems an attempt to reinvent the wheel, in a Rube Goldberg-esq kind a way....

Plastic bottles and pool noodles arent a good flotation plan either.

Jim Hawkins

Chief Petty Officer
You guys make good points. Re-doing the math I would not be saving money unless I can find something durable at little or no cost as the foam works out to about the same as the balls. Still, I'm not giving up. This project is for January and that's why I'm researching now. Also, I'm in the Florida Keys so expansion and contraction will be less of an issue than in the great white North. Back to the search engine...

Jim Hawkins

Chief Petty Officer
I LOVE the foam. I hate that for 4# foam I will need about $1,000 worth to fill my hulls.

64 cubic feet or 3 - 20 cubic ft kits at $264 per kit plus tax and shipping...

Am I going to find a way to stretch it ? Youbetcha.

Attachments

• photo322216.jpg
    photo322216.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 1

tpenfield

Staff member
Use the bouncy balls for their intended purpose and likewise for the flotation foam.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Are you doing the calculations to figure out how much buoyancy you need, or are you just assuming you need to entirely fill your hull? you may not actually need $1000 worth of foam.

emoney

Commander
And from where are you planning to purchase the foam? That can be a huge factor in cost. You can save probably 1/2 by going direct to a manufacturer, as opposed to a Marine Supply Store. Glad you've chose against the balls to add fill. As I've got a bounce house for my grandkids and I can tell you, those balls do deflate, some worse than others and they're expensive, imho. I could only imagine what kind of "rattle" could occur if the foam filled around fully expanded balls, and then they deflated 3 months later, lol.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
use the 2# foam to fill 90% of your hulls, then use 8% foam to top it off.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
if you plan on using poly resin don't forget it will melt your foam ...

Jim Hawkins

Chief Petty Officer
if you plan on using poly resin don't forget it will melt your foam ...

Last time I did it 10+ years ago using poly resin I didn't have a problem. That boat deck is still solid today.

"use the 2# foam to fill 90% of your hulls, then use 8% foam to top it off."

That's along the lines of what I'm thinking.

Also, as far as the question about filling the hull vs just enough for flotation I want to fill the hull to minimize any room for water to collect below decks. I know in a perfect world water wont ever get in there but...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I know it will melt the blue closed cell ridged foam . I thought it did with the 2 part expandable .. I guess I was mistaken ..