1977 Glastron Sportster Restoration

Ezramacc

Cadet
I just bought this 1977 Glastron that needs to be completely restored. I started by taking the cap off and pulling up all the rotted wood. I’m starting on the grinding/sanding of the hull (which is the best...not). I’m going to start on the transom and stringers next. Does the transom just fiberglass straight to the hull of the boat?

Ezramacc

Cadet
For some reason the websites not letting me upload pics. But I am very confused on the transom on how to get my angle cuts and should the angles be all around the transom?
18c391e1-eb54-42fe-9703-2792d441ee6c

steve_h7

Chief Petty Officer
I think you need 4 or 5 posts before you can upload pics. Just make a couple more posts on others threads and try again.

Redtruck12

Petty Officer 1st Class
I think you need to have 10??? Posts before you can add pictures.
if you’re not a robot 😉 make a few more posts and then try again

jbcurt00

Staff member
Size and using the Microsoftdefault broswer, Internet Explorer, are probably causing pix posting problems.

Sorry, the MS InternetExplorer problem is in the bug fixit list....

Try re-sizing the pix to 700KB (yep, KiloByte) max. It's the max size allowed, and I'd bet 90% likely to be the problem.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Angle Cuts??? Can you make a rough drawing using MS Paint to illustrate the angles you're talking about

Ezramacc

Cadet
I was just wondering how I can get my angles for the transom and do the angles go all the way around the transom?

steve_h7

Chief Petty Officer
I see all the angles but I think the important part you want to glue to the hull that is the "transom" I'll draw in red. It's hard to get it drawn correctly because of the angle of the picture. Hopefully others will correct my drawing if it's not correct, but it's what I'd do.

Attachments

• photo315583.jpg
    photo315583.jpg
    880 KB · Views: 0

Ezramacc

Cadet
Alright thank you do you know how I can figure out my angle cuts for the transom. Will the angle be cut just at the top ?

steve_h7

Chief Petty Officer
I just used a piece of cardboard that I could bend and easily cut and trace the area my new transom would take. I cut the template about an inch or so short of the hull so I had a good bit of a gap at the bottom that I could add peanut butter so I had no wood near where water may be sitting in the bilge.

I didn't even worry about trying to put an angle on the top edge, but I've see others do it but I just made mine square which did leave a bit of a gap between the splash well and the new transom, but I figured I'll just fill it with 3m 5200 and it has trim that will cover the whole area at the end. I can take a picture of mine if it'll help.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Remember you don't have to be overly precise. You want to be 1/2" short on all dimensions because when you glue it in with Peanut Butter and make a nice coved fillet. This ensures the edges of the plywood are totally sealed and waterproofed
Angles are NOT required on the edges. Just cut em straight.

Ezramacc

Cadet
Thank you , that helped a lot and pictures would definitely help . I think I got the transom figured out though for the most part.

Redtruck12

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you’re interested in cutting the angles, it should be pretty straight forward with a table saw.
mine is an inboard and I cut top and sides @a 45deg and that was doubled 3/4” plywood.
if you don’t have a table saw ask your buddies. Chances are someone has access to one.
check out my build thread
“1974 Duo Vagabond “