Leaking Keel on Aluminum Sylvan

Matt715

Cadet
A year ago I bought a '95 16' Sylvan Sport Troller that needed the interior redone. When I had it torn apart, I flooded the boat looking for leaks and found that the keel dripped one or two drops every 30 seconds. After cleaning the interior of the hull and redoing the interior, I've got a fast drip coming out of a few rivets and the gasket between the hull and keel on one side. I'm assuming the years of gunk was helping to plug the leak.

After doing some research, it looks like my best option would be to try and tighten up the rivets and see if it stops the leak, but the "gasket" material looks a little iffy in that area. The material that they used is a black pliable material, similar to tar. Does anyone know what it is? If I can find the same material, would it be a good idea to try and dig a little bit of it out and replace it, or should I just try and tighten the rivets and hope whatever existing material fills any voids?

I do have excellent access to the inside of the hull, so I suppose I could put some Gluvit on the inside, but I would rather do it the right way before I try using epoxy or the like.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• photo314590.jpg
    photo314590.jpg
    332.2 KB · Views: 1
  • photo314591.jpg
    photo314591.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 1
  • photo314592.jpg
    photo314592.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 1

rirory

Seaman
matt-

fill gap w/ 5200 by 3m --then use a keel shield to cover the area--make sure the keel shield will completely cover the area before you buy. I solved this problem on an old lonestar w/ a keel shield but the shield gave me 1'' on each side of keel.

thnx

ri rory