Best wax for non-skid

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
In the middle of my resto and i need to wax my nonskid soon.

This is not a patterend non-skid, however an aggressive rolled non-skid

Looking for the best easy to apply.....as in spray it and forget it for a year wax

I wont be able to buff it in, so im not looking for a paste wax

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Do you want to wax the non-skid or protect the non-skid?

What painted on non-skid did you use?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
GA_Boater I used a bedlinner roller to pull the gel to peaks for the non-skid.

I tried multiple methods to create the non-skit that would prevent me from getting injured again. a while back , while jumping on the foredeck to toss in the anchor during a light misting rain and I slid off the bow and smacked my head on the boat before I hit the water, I decided, velcro-like grip and bleeding feet was better than sliding off the boat deck and smacking my head again

Im looking to get a layer of wax to make it easier to clean than non-waxed gel

dingbat best I could use is a soft bristle brush to "buff out". no way a towel can be slid across it

Will have to check out the woody wax.

GA_Boater1

Cadet
Bloodied feet or dented noggin. Feet heal, not often the case with the head.

We've had so many non-skid tricks brought up in the forum that I wanted to know what you did used.

Woody Wax sounds like it could be the right thing. I wonder if it even needs buffed, the surface isn't exactly shiny, is it?

Looking at the slideshow, he does say it leaves a haze. I think a soft brush would work to de-haze, might take a little work.

https://www.bdoutdoors.com/woody-wax-boat-protection-made-easier/

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I tested my non-skid by making a 2 x 3 foot test panel, then dumping simple green soap on it and trying to slide across it with bare feet. the, pattern I came up with is aggressive, however i didnt slip.

the reading I have done suggest Woodys is the best for the application as well.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
here is a close-up pic of the rear swim deck.... the dirt just sticks in the nooks and crannies.

fetch

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Looking at the slideshow, he does say it leaves a haze. I think a soft brush would work to de-haze, might take a little work
I have actual, gelcoat non-skid. As noted above, I use a heavy (pile) bath towel on mine. The extra pile helps get down into the cracks

I’m not sure how you would remove the film it leaves in Scott’s situation. Perhaps a soft brush would do the trick given roughness of the coating

I know a couples of guys with “sand” nonskid and they use Marykate non-skid cleaner after each trip. No wax, but the bleach in the formulation keeps it looking clean.

BTW, Some swear that Woody Wax is the same stuff as Fluid Film. No idea if it’s true or not.

I won two bottles of Woody Wax in a raffle 5-6 years ago. Still have 1/2 bottle in the first container. A little goes a long, long way

vetting

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Get a set of drill brushes. They are 4 inch disks brushes that you chuck in a drill. They have a bunch of different bristle stiffness - color coded green/yellow/red/black. Uses those with some cleaner and then use woody wax. Coming from someone who has dirt/blood/fish scales on the deck on a regular basis.