Hyde Kanoe fiberglass repair

Cherokee-Runabout

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well rain is heading in and put and end to the sanding. I think the top is about done. Going to start on bottom hopefully tomorrow evening. I assume the red is just paint but it is pretty thick( could be colored resin?). The cap just seems to be one sheet of resin with no glass (I could see my fingers through too when I wiped it down with a wet rag). In the photo you can that it looks like only glass that was used was to connect bulkheads, not sure if this is/was common practice. Screenshot_20190519-200850.pngScreenshot_20190519-200843.png

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Also not sure about the wood flour.. if you want to sand it for fairing add microbaloons or similar instead.

Cherokee-Runabout

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Sanded out bottom patch, the flap disc for angle grinder was a much better choice :). Now just waiting on resin and paint to get here. The 5200 seems to have done a great job at adhering/ sealing transom to cap. I've tried searching a bit and haven't found anything too definitive on whether or not I should alternate chopped strand with the mat layers for the fiberglass or just layer up the mat? Any advice is appreciated. Screenshot_20190520-171941.png

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
No csm needed with epoxy .. If it was me I would grind a little divot along the crack line to open it up a little . Like a v-groove .
So you can fill it with some thickened epoxy . Sand that down then cloth /epoxy over that .. A dremel with the little cone shaped bit would work ....

Cherokee-Runabout

Petty Officer 3rd Class
That's what I had intended to do and I may do it a little more. The problem is the hull is very thin about 1/8" in the cap(finished) right now there's probably a 16th or a little less on the top and not sure on the bottom. The bottom does seem thicker so probably the more likely candidate but not much thicker. . To rout out a little more. Might be why they ended up discontinuing the hull.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thin glass ,then I would make sure you build up a few layers on the inside for extra strength at the damaged areas . Repair and fair the outside ,some paint , you’ll be good to go !

Cherokee-Runabout

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Previous owner had glassed the bottom inside but not all of the top is accessible (sealed off by bulkhead) and none applied to underneath of cap. I did lay three layers of cloth and epoxied in tonight and it seems to have already hardened and is no longer tacky (although my thumbprint does slightly appear). A few more questions now.

1. The cloth is covered in resin but some of the texture is still visible. Is this normal or should I have used more resin? Should I sand down and add more resin or will the mix of QuikFair/sanding fix this?

2. If using the epoxy QuikFair over the resin how long should I wait to coat? I seem to be having trouble finding this one anywhere.

Cherokee-Runabout

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yep that's the stuff. Yes kind of expensive, suppose I paid a stupid tax on that one. Anyhow, I've gotten everything faired out with two coats on bottom with a sanding and wipe down between coats. After first coat it almost looked like original (save the color). Reshaping the keel has proven to be the only challenge. I think this final coat will get it just about right once I put a bit of elbow grease into it and sand it out. Any paint suggestions? I was looking at a topside single part polyurethane to coat the cap after a good sanding and wipe down.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Sounds good ! I have been using PPG single stage polyurethane here lately Delfleet Essential . And you can always use good ol Rusto enamel with the added enamel hardener ...
Hey you forgot the rules here .. Pics or it didn’t happen ! ;)

Cherokee-Runabout

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks guys so I went ahead and used a two part epoxy primer to cover fairings. Top turned out really well but the bottom keel isn't perfect ... Don't think im going to sweat it too much. Hoping to get a coat of paint on cap here in the next hour or so after hitting primer with 220. Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20190524-182331.png Views:	1 Size:	760.1 KB ID:	10743991Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20190524-182322.png Views:	1 Size:	980.5 KB ID:	10743992