Here I Go - Pouring My Transom

FlippinOut

Cadet
I know it’s been done and posted about already by many, but thought I’d show a few snippets of my transom pour as I go along. Never done it before.

its not too bad so far. Motor came off smooth with a hoist and boy that Merc flywheel I-bolt is pretty slick.

just pulled the motor away and left the gearing and steering attached.

Has a nice aluminum angle piece that I cut the top cap underneath so any surgery scars will be hidden.

using a porter cable multi tool to cut it was a cinch. I knew I made the right call as soon as I started pulling wet crumbled wood out. I could see flex in the fiberglass when pulling up on the motor and my spashwell holes were the main culprit and how I first discovered I had a problem. I bet I was losing hole shot torque too.

i need to get an electric chainsaw and I’ll have it ready to pour in no time. It’s a bass/ski boat so the channel is thin and it’s about 18” deep and 36” wide.

I’ll post more as I move along on this.
-D
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Better click on Forum Help in the sig below and read up on how to attach pics. None made the trip. :blue:

FlippinOut

Cadet
Oh I read up and got lots of info...except how to reduce image size as I tried over and over to post pics. Using my iPhone and taking a photo and just choosing photo library? Nope, file size too large.

I ain’t so good at the tech stuff so I’ll try this and then I give up.

Attachments

• photo312216.jpg
    photo312216.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 9
  • photo312217.jpg
    photo312217.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 8
  • photo312218.jpg
    photo312218.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 8
  • photo312220.jpg
    photo312220.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 8
  • photo312221.jpg
    photo312221.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 7

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Which pourable stuff are you using ?
‘I’ve used a bit of seacast over the last few years.. My first pour is going on about 6 or 7 years now with no issues at all ..
Once you got the skin good and clean ,clean it some more , then clean it some more . Get a gallon of acetone and give it a really good bath with a rag on a stick just before you pour ... Make sure you get every bit of wood out . You can make some scrapers with long handles . I welded some small wire wheels to a piece of pencil rods to use with a drill .
‘Now the part no one likes to hear ..
Have you checked the stringers ? There’s probably an 80 to 90 % chance they are rotten as well .
‘If Not you are extremely lucky ...
Welcome aboard !

FlippinOut

Cadet
This may sound crazy but I don’t believe I have stringers. The rest of the boat is fiberglass.

I chose the Arjay 6011 for it. Got five one-gallon pails and came with 5 hardener tubes.

Thanks for the advice. I’ll get all that wood out and I’ve got acetone on standby!! I might try my gas chainsaw but I feel safer with an electric one. All advice is appreciated!

Last edited:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I have used seacoast, twice it has worked great. When you pour it make sure you have a helper if possible. Also make a funnel, it helps a lot when trying to pour the material.

FlippinOut

Cadet
Wow, that’s some professional work, and a helluva long build thread. It’s a bit more simplified on a bass boat.

Mine is coming along but still have some digging to do to get as much of the wood out as I can. It’ll be hard to get every sliver out down toward the bottom, but the wood isn’t in as bad of shape down there. Might’ve caught it early enough. It’ll surely beat the soggy mess my 150 Opti was hanging onto.

Thanks for the funnel tip. Mine’ll be out of cardboard since it’s not a huge pour.

Attachments

• photo312352.jpg
    photo312352.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 2
  • photo312353.jpg
    photo312353.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 2
  • photo312354.jpg
    photo312354.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 2
  • photo312355.jpg
    photo312355.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 3

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I think the Arjay is a good bit more runny than seacast
so you will want to make sure all the holes are covered up good ...

FlippinOut

Cadet
I think the Arjay is a good bit more runny than seacast
so you will want to make sure all the holes are covered up good ...

I bought some wooden dowels to cut and insert into the holes during the pour. Any ideas on coating them with something? Or should I just keep moving them back-and-forth while it’s cures to prevent bonding?

Redtruck12

Petty Officer 1st Class
I know people commonly use wax with resin.
i would assume the same would work with a pour.

FlippinOut

Cadet
difference, I have no idea what Fernandina is lol...thanks spell check!

Yeah I wasn’t sure what a huge Fernandina was. I thought things were getting weird in here.

Good call on the wax, I’ll do that. If I do have wood stringers running down my hull connecting to the bottom of my transom, it’ll be very hard for me to tell if they’re rotted. it’s hard enough to get all the way down and get all the wood out anyway. I don’t want to shove the tip of a chainsaw down, chipping away at the bottom of my hull.

I know it’s on me, but at some point you do the best you can and then pour the B#%ch.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Fernandina is a small coastal town just north of me ..:rolleyes:
You'll know when you hit glass with the chainsaw ..
It will make a much different sound so you will know when to let up ....

FlippinOut

Cadet
Well guys, not a great day in the transom pouring department. Hopefully others can learn from this as I have.

First, I didn’t order enough of the Arjay 6011. I bought 5 gallons and my measurements said that was more than enough. Its probably a combo of not ordering enough overage for my measurements and that I don’t think your getting a full gallon in what they call a gallon...kinda like buying a bag of chips.

I also had a blowout on the inside. Well, a leak in a hole that I wasn’t aware of. Probably from my electric chainsaw, You really do need to be careful not to Nick a hole in the fiberglass. It ran inside my battery area quite a bit. I was able to scoop some out but eventually gave up and left it alone. This wasn’t the cause of me running short, I woulda been short regardless. I was way short.

This stuff is messy and sticky and you should plan to throw out whatever tools you use with it. It don’t clean up with soap and water.

I ordered 3 more gallons, but I’m pretty sick about the fact that I’ll have two pours and the second being over a week after the first. Whatever. I’m in too deep to throw in the towel. The first pour covered the lower bolt holes and the second pour will cover the uppers. I'm sure it’ll more that hold my outboard for years to come.

I know I’ll pull it off and all will be well. I’ll post a follow up soon. For now, I’m drinking scotch on my back deck and it’s bothering me less and less.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
It happens ! I’ve always had pretty good luck with the volume formula for the seacast . I was only a little short once but that was my fault when I went back and re figured ..:facepalm:
No problem with a cold joint with the arjay ? I’ve never used any ...

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I have ran a bit sort on Seacast also. Its no problem to do a second pour with it later as Sphelps mentioned. I suspect the same is true of the product you are using, but don't know for sure.

FlippinOut

Cadet
Got in touch with Arjay Technologies. They said to clean the first pour real good and it bonds to itself just fine. Not sure that I would expect them to say anything different...”no, you’re screwed, don’t buy more!”

I’m watching/tracking my shipment as it moves across the country. Hoping it gets here in time to finish, reinstall the outboard and go on my trip. I’ll keep ya posted!