1976 SeaRay Restore

BOBNEWTON

Cadet
Hello!

New member here.

Spontaneously I purchased (committed to purchase sight unseen) a Searay 220 for $500, with the understanding the transom and hull structure was good.

The boat was a 3 hour drive and a 2 hour ferry ride to a beautiful small island near Vancouver Island (Awesome Easter weekend trip with the family).

Once arrived I found one spot of the floor to be completely rotten where my foot almost passed through standing on it. The boat has sat for 10 years and is "decent" condition considering the history and the price.

Now I look to bring this bot back to life, with an interior designed ruff and simple for fishing, but want a sound structure and confident in it's reliability.

I have zero experience in fiberglass work, but have done a pile of research over the last week and I have under estimated the cost of fiberglass supplies to undertake this job. However I think I'm on board for the expense and labor involved.

The engine is a 233 351W of unknown condition, but I'm prepared for a through rebuild.

I have moments of regret, but feel we can get this unit back on the water. It may not make a lot of sense logically or economically to restore this boat, but I look at it as a hobby / learning experience.

I'm sure I'll be asking for tons of help and hope you all join the journey. Any opening tips, please fire them to me!

Attachments

• photo311437.jpg
    photo311437.jpg
    731.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo311438.jpg
    photo311438.jpg
    717.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo311439.jpg
    photo311439.jpg
    709.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo311440.jpg
    photo311440.jpg
    755.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo311441.jpg
    photo311441.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • photo311442.jpg
    photo311442.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • photo311443.jpg
    photo311443.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

chevymaher

Commander
No logically doing what your going to do is the best thing. Look at it this way. You do it and it will be better quality than a new boat. Any boat more than a few years old being sold is being sold because it was neglected and has the same issues. Just earlier in the game. Now look what you will have cost if you bought it new.

So if you are doing it for you and not to re sale it. Then it is the smartest and best option. Pennies on the doller for use of the boat.

BOBNEWTON

Cadet
I certainly seem to agree with that.

The project just just seems a little daunting right now. This coming week I hope to have it gutted and start looking into rebuild designs.

I hope to have it in the water 12 months from now kind of time frame. Maybe not every last detail taken care of but the bulk of my list completed.

Bondo

Staff member
The engine is a 233 351W of unknown condition, but I'm prepared for a through rebuild.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... The motor could be the stumbling block,......

Merc dropped Ford motors only a few years after this one was new,.......

Not alota Ford marine parts available,......

BOBNEWTON

Cadet
What items tend to be difficult to find? My planning stages so far have showed easy access to any “tune up” category items.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Just off the top of my head,..... exhaust manifolds, 'n such,.....

BOBNEWTON

Cadet
Hopefully with some ingenuity and resourcefulness I'll have it running good and strong. The engine work is the least of my concerns. I'm terrified of the structure repair. ha ha

froggy1150

Master Chief Petty Officer
Omc stringer leg? If so I hope you are good mechanic. Seems No one works on them. I rebuilt mine and didn't think it was too bad but I have rebuilt alot of different types of gearboxes and transmissions

BOBNEWTON

Cadet
Its a "pre alpha" merc leg. While not a marine technician by any means I am an experienced heavy equipment mechanic and have been for a good many years. The mechanical portion of this project is the least daunting :)