Installing carpet over existing carpet

Jersey Guy

Seaman
I have a 19 year old Crownline 266 BR and I’m thinking about re carpeting the larger exposed areas.

Questions:

Has anyone ever done this and can you share some advice?

What type of glue did you use?

i realize that removing and replacing the carpet is the proper way to do this, but since the boat is so old (salt water deterioration) and removing parts will certainly cause more problems, I have decided to go this route for a short term fix.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
I imagine you COULD do this, but without removing the proper pieces, its going to look terrible. You might as well spend the time removing panels, seats, etc to replace the carpet. With a 19 year old boat, you might also find some concerning things depending on the life the boat had (stored outside/inside/covered/uncovered). Personally, it would drive me nuts looking at the carpet with bare edges showing.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
If you want to do this, ya gotta live with the results. Gluing new carpet on top of old will not be stable and will be picking all over the place. Maybe someone makes pile glue or the old carpet gets a shave.

Doing a short term job means it will cost twice as much or more when the permanent job is done.

chevymaher

Commander
I was thinking sew a edge on the carpet and use it like a car mat. I got a safari van nothing floor mat wise fits. I do that.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Odd you don't want to do it the proper way because it is old and has other issues, but you want to make it look better for what reason? You have to know it will absolutely look awful at best. Talk about trapping water... :doh:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Lol

just gonna leave it until my new ship comes in.

Just think if you were looking this boat when the seller's ship came in. Once the ratty carpet job is discovered, which won't take long, any buyer is gonna dig deeper and either walk away or offer less, probably a lot less..

Rookster

Petty Officer 1st Class
I too have a 19 year old Crownline - 180BR though. I ripped up the old carpet last Fall ...thereby giving me no option but to put in new carpet this Spring! Lol. I wouldn’t do new carpet on old carpet - don’t see how it would last long and do t want to redo anytime soon.

In my case, I’m wondering how best to prep the original marine plywood before putting down new glue and a new carpet. Questions like - is it ok to sand it lightly and should I apply some kind of wood sealer before I glue and recarpet.

Is is this the kind of stuff you are trying to avoid by simply laying on new carpet over old?

i did hear of someone doing that once - but I lost touch and don’t know how long it lasted.

Jersey Guy

Seaman
Good luck with your project. Let me know how it goes.

In my case, anytime I try to fix or repair something, I end up breaking something else (don’t believe me? Just ask my wife)

Anyway, I took a closer look at the carpet today and there is not much left. I may try lifting the remains up and see what it looks like.

Or or maybe, I will just go out on the boat and have some fun!

Stay tuned-