1985 Proline Classic 20 CC Restore

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Ok how do I get a moderator too do that

Changed the title. Have no idea if the threads have been merged.

Can a moderator combine my threads amid change name to 1985 Proline classic 20 cc restore. Thanks

Want all your threads merged since you joined? My crystal ball was knocked on the floor by the dog and shattered into 55 pieces.

gwgautney

Petty Officer 1st Class
Changed the title. Have no idea if the threads have been merged.

Want all your threads merged since you joined? My crystal ball was knocked on the floor by the dog and shattered into 55 pieces.

Sorry I wasn't specific. Thanks this is perfect

gwgautney

Petty Officer 1st Class
So back to my question. I think I'm going back with fighting lady yellow. Is the gray primer or white primer better and why. Thanks

porscheguy

Chief Petty Officer
I think the color is a matter of personal preference. If I was working outside, I’d want gray primer.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Check out kirbypaint.com. Great colors and same formula a rustoleum. Very happy with it. I used wog formula with his coaching.

zool

Captain
Unless u want to dump alot of paint on it, use white or white tinted with yellow, yellow is the toughest for coverage.

gwgautney

Petty Officer 1st Class
Check out kirbypaint.com. Great colors and same formula a rustoleum. Very happy with it. I used wog formula with his coaching.

So u used the same procedure for the hardner as in woodonglass post? I used that when I didit the first time and was very happy with the results

gwgautney

Petty Officer 1st Class
As u can see I started sanding today. There were so many coats of paint on there I just took it all the way down to original gel coat. I will be way happier this time I can see. It will definitely get rid of all the imperfections I had before. This quick turnaround just got longer but I will be much happier in the end. I will continue to post updates and sure I will have many more questions. Thanks in advance for the help

Attachments

• photo307446.jpg
    photo307446.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo307447.jpg
    photo307447.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 0

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
So u used the same procedure for the hardner as in woodonglass post? I used that when I didit the first time and was very happy with the results

Yes I did. quite happy. Bilge and tank area went all white. So instead of tinting myself I used a Kirby color. Pretty wide selection. Just re-read his post he made some chemical mix changes.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
2 part urethane are the best way to go IMHO if money allows, the urethane have a shored hardness slightly harder then gelcoat
Pencil Hardness for Common Coatings
TYPE OF COATING: PENCIL HARDNESS
Catalyzed polyester: 9H
Catalyzed polyurethane: 9H
Catalyzed modified acrylic polyurethane: 4H
Catalyzed acrylic polyurethane: 2H
Water-based polyurethane: 3H
Water-based urethane/isocyanate catalyst: 2H
Conversion varnish: 4H
Low-VOC lacquer: 3H
Low-VOC catalyzed lacquer: 2H (24 hours)
Urethane/nitrocellulose lacquer: F (24 hours)
Water reducible lacquer: 2H
Tung oil/polyurethane wipe-on finish: 2H
Water-based polyurethane wipe-on finish: HB-F
Precatalyzed aerosol: 3B
Waterclear acrylic aerosol: 3B
Clear shellac aerosol: 3B
Polyurethane/nitrocellulose aerosol: HB
Nitrocellulose aerosol: 3B
Amber (orange) shellac 1 lb. cut (waxed): 3B

gwgautney

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok so I ordered my paint from Kirby yesterday and he called me today because I selected flat instead of gloss and he wanted to double check. Im glad he did I would have been mad at myself if he wouldn't have caught it, which worked out in my favor because he asked if I wanted him to tint the primer yellow for me so of course I said yes. So far so good awesome people to deal with. Looking forward to trying out the paint. Weekend is coming and it is supposed to be pretty and upper 60's this weekend so I am hoping to get a lot done. Will update after the weekend.

zool

Captain
Im glad u went with the tinted primer, the final color will look as intended, and you wont risk any tiger striping.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Yea I am pretty happy with Kirby. Looking forward to your work,
Kevin

gwgautney

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I have another question on best ways to treat teak wood. The boat has several items that are teak. The last time I did it all I did was sand it and I put some stain on it. It has since came off and is weathered but solid. Will teak oil do the job or would I need to do something different

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Basically yea, sand it down lightly and I used a teak oil. Let it soak in. Then a couple more coats. It'll turn into a annual project. Some guys varnish it but that eventually peals too.

gwgautney

Petty Officer 1st Class
A little more sanding yesterday. 6 or 7 foot every 3 hours isn't too bad I guess.

Attachments

• photo307652.jpg
    photo307652.jpg
    442.3 KB · Views: 0

gwgautney

Petty Officer 1st Class
so I have a question I am having a guy redo my center console completely because it needed a lot of reinforcement. My question is I am going to have a blank slate and will have to cut all my holes. It is going to be repaired primed and painted when I geti t back and I dont want to mess it up. What is the best thing to cut my holes without scarring it up

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I would have my hole cut out at prime, not finished. That way no paint redo.
Openings depends on the eqt. you are putting in there. Have the guy do it since you gave away the work and feel uncomfortable.
Dremmel
oscillating tool
hole saws