Just Got an old boat and want advice for fixing it up

czsilverwolf

Cadet
Did you drill the stringers. If you have an almost 40 year old boat with dry Transom and Stringers you'll be in the 1% club. IF the boat was Always maintained properly and stored covered then maybe but it's very rare.

The previous owner got it from a dealership so it might have all been redone then. Both the stringers and the transom came out dry and light-colored like new wood. The motor only has 50 miles of use on it too. They only had it since 2016.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
The meter is an Hour meter NOT an odometer. Boat dealerships don't typically restore stringers and transoms on 2n hand boats

czsilverwolf

Cadet
So far I have just been working on the trailer replacing the jack and troubleshooting and replacing the rear trailer lights (some wiring issues). Next thing on my list is taking it in to get the in/out motors looked at and possibly get the underside repainted (I can repaint/gel the rest of it but I don't have a crane to get the bottom off the trailer).

I just found a hole outside in the body up front where the tip meets the trailer holder. Perfect for a bolt. No idea what may have been there but is there a way to properly permanently seal it? The back stringers may be fine but now after finding the hole there's a possibility that the front stringers under the inner cuddy-cabin might be bad (the boat sits front tilted forward on both my driveway as well as the previous owners front yard so if there was any water inside it would all pool up towards the front). Any way to check that? I've been looking through the restoration forums and I am not finding any detailed projects that involve stringer and flooring work on sleeper cabin type boats. A lot of the jargon is going over my head so it's hard to get a picture of the how to's without seeing photos or videos.20190115_163600.jpg

wrench 3

Commander
Do you have an anchor locker up front? That would be almost the right place for the drain.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
when you take a picture like that, take two, one standing 20 feet further back than you think you need to be. that way we can put things in context.

agreed, most likely the anchor locker drain. however its like trying to identify a tree by a close-up of the bark on a root.