Help getting shape glassing in new keel

Cameltop109

Cadet
After finding a small hole in the keel where the centre rollers have crushed a hole I quickly discovered a rotten floor etc having never glassed before turning into a big project. I ended up cutting (probably by mistake) a small peice out of the keel and have fibreglassed in a new peice however really struggling to get the shape. I have gone thicker than the existing and sanding it down to try shape it but not really working to well. Any tips or help would be much appreciated

Attachments

• photo306103.jpg
    photo306103.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • photo306104.jpg
    photo306104.jpg
    787.6 KB · Views: 0

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Grind your patch down a little further than your shape . Then use some fairing compound to fill it back up to just past finish level . It will sand easier . Get you a block of foam and cut your V shape into the foam to match the profile as close as you can .. Then glue some 60 or 80 grit paper in the profile on the foam . Use that to sand your keel and it should get you close ..

Cameltop109

Cadet
Great tip thanks for that. I have layered about 8 layers of 1708 and csm. Would that suffice or need some more

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Great tip thanks for that. I have layered about 8 layers of 1708 and csm. Would that suffice or need some more

I think that would cover it IF you covered the original hole properly. Usually you apply the fist layer, then make the next layer a little larger to cover over the first and so on. If that is what you did, you should be good to go. How does the inside look?

Cameltop109

Cadet
Yes the hull is completely bare just cutting up stringers today. On the inside I layered 2 layers of 1708 and will cover some more when I begin tabbing. Was told there would be no strength benefits by layering up from the inside

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Actually that's incorrect. Best strength is when BOTH sides have new glass for the patch. Sphelps gave you great advice on how to shape the outside. You can make a cardboard cutout of the keels profile to aide in getting the shape.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Obviously having access from both sides offers a much superior repair. I didn't know you have it gutted trying to do this. Like previously stated from Woodonglas and Sphelps, attack it from both sides for a way better option. They knows what they talks about!