Fuel Tank - Paint or Powder Coat

76SeaRay

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Not sure if this should be here or in engine section but here goes. I pulled the 60 gallon tank from my 76 SeaRay and although it looks in pretty good shape, I do see electrolysis started in a few areas. It has had old gas and sludge in it for many, many years. I bought this boat at auction so don't know any of the history. So, getting to the point, I am going to have a new tank made by a certified aluminum welder that has experience with marine fuel tanks. My old tank was painted and the paint was peeling when I pulled it. Does anyone have input on whether to powder coat or paint the new tank. I am inclined to go with powder coat but could paint it myself with epoxy paints. The company I work for builds aluminum balconies for commercial buildings and routinely powder coats (through local powder coaters) the balconies without any problems.

zool

Captain
I used JB weld to fill any pits, prepped with an alodyne treatment, then painted with POR15 silver....its bullet proof now ;)

tpenfield

Staff member
Check for regulations on marine fuel tank coatings. It may influence your choice of paint/powder coating.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Power coat is a very rugged finish. But a 60 gallon tank is pretty large and will need a large oven to cure the finish. If a commercial powder coat company will do it for a reasonable cost, I would go that way. The finish is impervious to fuels and oils and stands up to a lot of abuse. You can get paints to be impervious to fuels and oils with the proper additives and application as well, but not as scratch resistant as powder coat. JMHO

76SeaRay

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Powder coaters I am working with here have ovens big enough to take something as long as 24ft and 12ft wide so no problem with size. Once I redo the stringers and floor it will be locked in for the rest of the life of the boat.