Adding a 3rd toon, looking to build.

dajain

Cadet
Good morning everyone! I have a 1990 Playcraft Endeavor 28' pontoon and we are going to customize it to suit our play/fishing habits. The boat came originally with 2 pontoons and we feel it sit's too low in the water on the backside.

What we have under the boat right now is the 2 original pontoons, the original transom pod and a custom, pull out beach plank (like on a houseboat) for when we shore camp for the night.

So, with the walking plank under the boat, that gives us about 16' under the boat where we can attach a 3rd pontoon. I found an older pontoon boat (24') that has damage to the rear of the pontoons and they are calling the boat trash and I an picking it up cheap. My plan for it is to cut down one of the damaged pontoons to our custom length needed, install a fuel pod inside the pontoon and then build a motor transom on the back of the pontoon. But I have a few questions, but first, just one more detail

The motor I am going to be putting on this transom is a 2014 Mercury 60 ELPT Command Thrust, so nothing massive or overly heavy.

So, to build this motor transom, I want it to be strong enough to handle the motor and power it puts out. What do you guys recommend as far as building this thing? Material thickness? Construction part of the toon or a separate add on and have the toon sealed individually?

Any extra thoughts or suggestions would be great! Thanks for any responses!