Carpet installation

I would like to replace the carpeting in my 2000 Crownline 266 br.

I would appreciate as many suggestions as possible including the difficulty of this project and estimated costs.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
is it snapped down or glued down?

got pics?

easy job either way

Scott Danforth

Staff member
unbolt all your interior pieces

pull up old carpet

use oven cleaner to soften the glue, scrape it up

buy new marine carpet

glue down with dap weld-wood carpet cement

re-install your your interior pieces

depending on grade of carpet, your looking at about $200-400 and a good long weekend.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I at one time actually installed carpet, but in houses, churches and commercial buildings and such. And that included stretch in and glue down as well. So the technique is very close to that in boats also.

One thing I will tell you straight up, carpet has grain. That meaning when it was manufactured it has a direction it was made with. So when install carpet, make certain it all is glued in at that same direction.

I drew chalk line arrows on the back side to keep the direction correct. Otherwise it will not look the same. If you install a piece in the wrong direction, it will actually look like a different color and look like it doesn't belong there.

And I am using Weldwood contact cement. I am sure others will chime in with their ideas and how to's as well. So read all of them and pick the one that suits your needs the best and install.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
When I make a cut, how do I prevent the carpet from coming apart by the cut?

I found this carpet kit on Amazon. 8’x30’ of standard grade with glue, applicator and knife is around $300. Oh it comes with “directions “ too.

https://www.amazon.com/Standard-Pil...dpPl=1&dpID=61lJSCQrdDL&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1

Anyone familiar with this company?

Most any of those companies will have carpet that will work well. I haven't used any of that company's, but I have ordered similar carpet on line and it all works very well. JMHO

You seriously need to buy a true carpet knife. Not something that could work, but a true carpet knife. It uses blades that offer four seriously sharp cutting edges before you have to toss the blade. And always make sure you use a new edge to avoid the carpet unraveling as you cut. A very sharp blade will cut instead of tearing and pulling the threads.

I bought mine at Lowe's. It isn't in the typical tool section, or at least my Lowe's didn't have it there. It was in the carpet installation section. And it comes with a few blades. But if you have a lot of carpet to install and cuts to make, you may need more blades. The sharp blade is your answer to the carpet unraveling problems. :thumb:

I attached a picture of the carpet knife. And I will tell you up front, it is razor sharp blades. A lot sharper then typical utility knife blades. So take real care when changing out even used blades. While they will snag the carpet and therefore need changed, they will still easily cut you just looking at them. :eek:

Attachments

• photo305170.png
    photo305170.png
    67.8 KB · Views: 1

Scott Danforth

Staff member
agree on the carpet knife. I have two of them

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
"When I make a cut, how do I prevent the carpet from coming apart by the cut?"

Cut from the backside also. Much easier.

harringtondav

Commander
My few pieces of advice. When you think you've located an acceptable color, ask the company to send a sample swatch. Internet pics look nothing like the real thing. I went to Sparta Carpets and asked for three different swatches. The were glad to help. None looked like their pics. but we found a keeper.

I see you have a deck hatch. Each of those requires additional carpet. The floor cut out will be smaller than the hatch opening to allow for wrapping the carpet under the floor around the opening. The fall off from this cut will be too small to fit the hatch/cover. It needs an oversized piece so you can edge wrap it. Get yourself a pneumatic stapler and stainless steel staples to attach these wrap under areas.

So under gm280 's "rule of lay" you'll have to buy enough extra to cover the length of your longest hatch. If you have multiple hatches, you may get lucky and be able to use the fall off from a large opening to carpet the lid of a smaller one. Didn't work out for me.