Help removing mildew/mold!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Hey fellas,

Got a nice 24' pontoon. Put her away dry a few weeks back and my cover has failed, meaning moisture has gotten into the boat. Postponed winterization and am now regretting it.

Anyways, I have starbrite mildew remover and CLR foaming mildew and mold remover, and neither of them will get out the deep black spotting that has set into my white vinyl seats. (It will get off about 80% of the stains.) The seats looked great and we have taken good care of the vinyl as best we can.

Any recommendations on what to do or use would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Thanks guys. Hadnt tried bleach yet, but the majic eraser wont even touch it!!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
magic eraser is effectively 600 grit sand paper and takes off the protective layer of the vinyl.

use bleach water

sutor623

Rear Admiral
magic eraser is effectively 600 grit sand paper and takes off the protective layer of the vinyl.

use bleach water

Cool thanks Scott.

Is there anything else that I can use to protect the vinyl? We used a vinyl protector spray that didnt seem to protect very well..........

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
what brand of vinyl protector did you use? I like 303 products.

the biggest issue with a cover is air-flow.....usually there is no airflow under a cover..... which promotes mildew. simply putting a small fan under the cover is enough to get air circulating and keep things from getting moldy.

chevymaher

Commander
Simple green mixed 1/3 simple green 2/3 water. Took a hour to do the entire interior. It kills mold and mildew. Wont hurt the material.

Attachments

• photo304702.jpg
    photo304702.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo304703.jpg
    photo304703.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 1

buxmj

Petty Officer 1st Class
I do not know if this will damage the vinyl but it does wonders on surface mold. Try on a small obscure place. This method works wonders on painted surfaces. Use roundup! Be sure to rinse, a few times even. Good luck!

Buck

Hannacarington

Recruit
If its staining and not mould I would try one of those magic eraser sponges

Should use vinyl cleaner because it makes your boat will shine and never exist mold. Starbrite Ultimate Mildew Stain Remover was just excellent, sprayed it on, and left it for 3hrs to dry out, results were perfect 99% gone just repeated on a spot or two and they went after the second spray. Highly recommended!

aspeck

Staff member
Hannacarington , please read the rules before posting ... https://forums.iboats.com/forum/forum-rules-and-guidelines/407734-attention-forum-rules-attention

This thread was far beyond the 3 month limit and the initiating Poster hasn't been here for 7 months.

Rule #12 ...

12. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than approximately 3 months UNLESS you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread. This is considered a hijack. Hijacked threads may be closed and hijacking posts may be deleted or moved at the discretion of the Administrators and Moderators. Please start a new thread of your own for the best possible help from forum members.
NOTE: Some threads are never ending due to the subject or nature of the thread. Administration and Moderators do take this into consideration.

aspeck

Staff member
Suter623, If you want to come back and post on this thread, please let a Moderator know and we will be happy to open it back up for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.