Front cussion base

dlogvine

Master Chief Petty Officer
Im replacing upholstery on my boat front seats. First I thought I would need to change just the vinyl, but when I removed the old upholstery I found that the plywood base was also rotten and needed replacement. On the other boat seat bases I saw a pair of holes of about an inch diameter which I assumed were for moisture ventilation. But do I really need them or not? Also I covered the plywood base with polyurethane, would it be better if I paint with external paint on the top? I was thinking about doing it for esthetical purpose, but would it improve the water resistance? Thank you

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
will you own the boat in 20 years?

raw wood will last about 20 years. encapsulated in resin a bit longer

dlogvine

will you own the boat in 20 years?

raw wood will last about 20 years. encapsulated in resin a bit longer

nay, im rebuilding this boat for sale. but still want to make it as good as I can. It is a very nice hull, 2007 Baja 202. I gave up on fixing 1993 Larson, too much wood work. All deck and stringers are rotten and it wont be worth putting any effort. I'll just take the outdrive newly rebuilt
engine and drop them in the Baja boat, which needs some upholstery work and couple touches of fiberglass in various places. Otherwise it is all fiberglass and plastic, except, to my
surprise, front seats, which were made of plywood and with cheap steel staples, while all other panels are on the plastic bases with stainless steel staples.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
If you only used poly resin and No Glass it won't last. Poly requires Glass!

dlogvine

If you only used poly resin and No Glass it won't last. Poly requires Glass!

I did not use poly resin, I used polyurethane surface sealer. it is similar to the lacquer cover, seals the plywood from water. I wanted to paint it over to make it same color as the other bases for the cushions.