1995 Larson 174 SEI Complete Rebuild

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
Did you brush or roll the gelcoat? Did you thin it with styrene? How many coats did you apply?

Its rolled, I thinned it in the ski locker and was not happy with the results. Out the can its thin enough to hide roller marks but thick enough to be a decent thickness. 2 coats with no wax and final coat with wax. My bilge has like 4 or 5 coats because I did not add enough wax in there the first go round.

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
You did your deck as well. how many gallons do you think you will need

The steps I did was ski locker was done before the deck was down so it was easier to get done. Once the deck was done I did the bilge and transome so I had somewhere to stand to do the deck. Then finally the deck and side walls. Ski locker took under a quart but my deck, side walls and bilge was 2 gallons. So total was 2 gallons and a quart. I just got another quart to do touch ups and fill spider cracks on the outside hull.

Chris51280

Ensign
I assume 3 coats on the deck? Are you sanding after the last coat to a nice finish or it isn't needed? What roller did you use? I guess some have a tendency to leave fuzzies behind. Sorry for all the questions but its good to ask somebody that has done it like I'm planning to do.

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
I assume 3 coats on the deck? Are you sanding after the last coat to a nice finish or it isn't needed? What roller did you use? I guess some have a tendency to leave fuzzies behind. Sorry for all the questions but its good to ask somebody that has done it like I'm planning to do.

If you roll back to page 19 u will see I taped of areas where I added texture to the gel. Then 3 more layers on top. It left enough texture to not slip but not hurt the feet. So no sanding for me. I used rollers from Amazon they came 12 for 13.99 brand started with a Q. I had no issues

Chris51280

Ensign
Looks good. How did you get the texture in? I was planning on the non skid medium sand from us composites and gel coat that. But you did the textured patches beforehand

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looks good. How did you get the texture in? I was planning on the non skid medium sand from us composites and gel coat that. But you did the textured patches beforehand

Just mixed it in before rolling it out. I used a sand additive from the hardware store. I tested it on a different peice and the layers on top of the layer with the additive smoothed it out enough or rounded over the texture so it's easy on the feet.

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
After feeling like I haven't gotten much done lately it was a very successful weekend. I got the entire opposite side wet sanded and buffed. I got my cross supports for the gas tank cut to size and 2 layers of gel coat on them. I got the dash pieces painted to switch the colors to match the interior more and reinstalled. I got the windshield reinstalled on both sides and re-adjusted so its square.

I also finished one of the front bow upper cushions and got it installed to see how it looks, had to throw in the bottom seat to see how it looked together. Its nice to see things now going back together.

steve_h7

Chief Petty Officer
I've read through your thread so many times I almost know it by heart now! :)
I wonder if I could step back in time and ask how you treated the gravity holes through the bulkheads leading to the bilge? I couldn't see where the dark coloration came from and if you used something special since it seems like glassing the area would be almost impossible and it would be an area very likely to get wet.
Thanks for doing such a great job of documenting your build!

Attachments

• photo308735.jpg
    photo308735.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 0

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've read through your thread so many times I almost know it by heart now! :)
I wonder if I could step back in time and ask how you treated the gravity holes through the bulkheads leading to the bilge? I couldn't see where the dark coloration came from and if you used something special since it seems like glassing the area would be almost impossible and it would be an area very likely to get wet.
Thanks for doing such a great job of documenting your build!

Thank you for that, its nice to know the time I put in documenting it can help somebody. I don't mind the questions at all feel free to ask anytime. So obviously you can see where the wood ends and that was all coating with resin and tabbed up to that point. I then cut a piece of 2" pvc pipe in half to give me the half round and be a barrier form water. I used a small amount of PB to set it in place and smooth the inside to make sure it was sealed. The i just packed the remaining space with PB. Sanded it smooth with the bulkhead and When i did the final up and over of CSM i made sure to cover the PB'd spot as well. I hope that all make sense. Then when i gel coated everything i made sure that whole inside got covered too.

I did the same for under my motor mount which was a little more tricky because its like 10" long.