No announcement yet.

1995 Larson 174 SEI Complete Rebuild

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I too have struggled with the household sewing machines when trying to do vinyl, and even canvas. Probably worth shopping eBay or CL for an upholstery machine, then selling it once you are done, if you don't want to keep it.
    Best regards, Ted . . . . Cape Cod, MA

Current Boats: Formula 330 Sun Sport, O'Day Mariner Sail #3224, Sunfish
    Past Boats: Catalina 22 Sail #10531, Formula 242 Sun Sport
    Twin Mercruiser 7.4 LX MPI (0F802036, 039), Bravo 3's (0F806198, 199), Mercury 7.5 HP (1969), Johnson 4.5 HP (1980)

My Boating Web Pages: http://www.tpenfield.com

Comment

• This thing has had no problems yet. I haven't tried 4 layers but 3 no problem. The only real issue I have is stitch length should really be longer than this machine will do.

Comment

• Well boys I was down for 3 days with a stomach bug, right before that I was able to glass the sacrificial pieces in place. The one for the trim pump has a big air bubble. I think the temp was a little low when I did the glass work. Im not worried as there really just sacrificial parts and I will be gel coating the entire surface.

Tonight I drilled the holes for the gimbal and the relief for the steering. Went pretty well, when I test fit the housing there was a little interference on the two bottom holes that I just had to enlarge a little bit. The steering clearance is a little more than I need but gets the job done. Probably going to put a little glass in there as well as coat all the open surfaces.

I have all the pieces of 1708 cut for the sidewalls and will be glassing them and the gas tank cover tomorrow. This should be the last of the major glass work.

Comment

• Hey. Quick question about your foam. I didn’t see how much or where you bought it from. I’m about the same size and restore as you. I don’t want to buy waaaaaay too much.

Thanks

dezi
          1987 Bayliner Capri 1750 (Work In Progress)
          120 Mercruiser Engine S/N 2458751
          MC-1 Drive S/N 2463635

Bayliner Capri 1750 Bow Rider Rebuild My Way

https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...s-to-do-it-too

Comment

• Originally posted by dezmond View Post
            Hey. Quick question about your foam. I didn’t see how much or where you bought it from. I’m about the same size and restore as you. I don’t want to buy waaaaaay too much.

Thanks

dezi
            I bought it from US composites, 2lb foam and bought 2 of the 16lb kits and 1 4lb kit. I had just enough. I would have had more than enough but was little off in my guess on the amounts for the first few sections.

Comment

• Foam never seems to expand to the advertised amount . . . probably because it is not hot enough when it is activated and poured. So, you buy enough and as you pour it does not seem to be enough. If you read the fine print on these 2-part foams, it indicates that the working temperatures is spec'd at 80 degrees.

My advice is to try to get the 2 liquids warmed up ahead of time and also the boat hull and chambers, so that you get the most expansion possible.

When I foamed in the fuel tank on my Formula 330, I pre-heated the liquid A & B parts to about 85 F and the hull chamber to about 75 F . . . It seemed to work out great and I got lots of expansion. The ambient temperature that day was about 65 F, which would have resulted in about a 25% loss of foam expansion.
              Best regards, Ted . . . . Cape Cod, MA

Current Boats: Formula 330 Sun Sport, O'Day Mariner Sail #3224, Sunfish
              Past Boats: Catalina 22 Sail #10531, Formula 242 Sun Sport
              Twin Mercruiser 7.4 LX MPI (0F802036, 039), Bravo 3's (0F806198, 199), Mercury 7.5 HP (1969), Johnson 4.5 HP (1980)

My Boating Web Pages: http://www.tpenfield.com

Comment

• And just like that the last of the major glass work is done. I got a layer of 1708 up the side walls of both sides of the boat.

I also got the gas tank section done as well.

I have about a quart of resin left that I plan to use to reinforce my home made pedestal captain chairs. Now all the prep work to make this thing look good again. There's going to be a lot of sanding and feathering to make all the edges and everything look good for gel coat.

Comment

• Very nice and STRONG!!!!!! Good job.
                  1987 Bayliner Capri 1750 (Work In Progress)
                  120 Mercruiser Engine S/N 2458751
                  MC-1 Drive S/N 2463635

Bayliner Capri 1750 Bow Rider Rebuild My Way

https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...s-to-do-it-too

Comment

• Looking good! Finishing up the glass work is a real milestone!
                    Location: West Central Illinois, USA 1997 Larson 186 SEi Bowrider I/O Mercruiser 350 #0F747565 Mag Alpha One Gen II #1A270120 Transom and Deck Restoration Project on my '97 Larson Bowrider

Comment

• Looking good all depts. Mike!
                      Most times I'm wrong, Most times I stand corrected..But...Sometimes I'm right.
                      1983 SportCraft Deep V OSFF 222 Cuddy Rehab
                      https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...ddy-walkaround
                      https://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...-new-fuel-pump

Comment

• Thanks guys, went and checked it this morning and there's a few delaminated spots and dry spots. I was really trying to stretch the resin but I wasn't really going for strength as much as a decent player to protect the thin foam. I'll cut and grind the bad spots and do a final touch up before the gel coat.

Comment

• Looks great Mike!
                          - Eric

Somers, WI

Old enough to know better - but crazy enough to try anyway

Comment

• Good job Mike! congrats

by the way why did you glassed the side of the boat with 1708?

keep it going like this
                            1987 Sea Ray Seville Cuddy Cabin - 5.7 mag Mercruiser alpha one Gen I
                            under restoration
                            Complete HD pictures set here

Comment

• Originally posted by Broaters View Post
                              Good job Mike! congrats

by the way why did you glassed the side of the boat with 1708?

keep it going like this
                              Thanks,

If you look way back when I did the demolition, someone else had done a half a** floor job before and must have ground the glue off the side walls. So when i tore it off and ground again it was down to bare foam on the side walls. I even had a huge chunk tword the back delaminate. It wasn't for strength just getting back to correct. Especially since I will be gel coating and not carpeting it.

Comment

So today will start the prep to sand and feather everything for gel coat. I have a question about the gel coat. I already rolled the ski locker with good results but it's really dull. Almost matte in appearance. Is there anything that can be done to increase the shine without wet sanding and buffing? Should it naturally be glossy? Could to much surface wax cause the low gloss? I did 2 layers unwaxed and 1 final waxed layer.

Comment

Working...
                                X